Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 16,757 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from NYC to Seattle and I was wondering what the quality of public transit is like.

They always say NYC has the best public transit, but I find it to be terrible. It's one of the main reasons I am leaving. I suppose they say this because it is very extensive and can take you anywhere, but it is hell to actually ride.

So is Seattle public transport actually reliable and pleasant to ride? Are there a high amount of delays or schedule changes? Is it clean? Are there homeless people living and wandering around the system? Does it get unbearably overcrowded during rush hour? Does it get unusually hot or cold inside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I take the bus from my city 23 miles east of Seattle to the downtown bus tunnel to work daily. The drivers are polite, the buses in good condition and most always on time. Yes, there are homeless and other interesting people around the stations but since they eliminated the free downtown service in October not nearly as many actually on the bus. There are times when certain lines are very crowded and you might have to stand. The light rail from downtown to the airport is clean and fast, but makes a lot of stops, with only an occasional delay when someone stops there cars on the tracks or something.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
I agree, generally reliable and pleasant to ride. Delays are minimal. Schedule changes take place several times a year on a regular basis. Buses are generally very clean compared to other large municipal transit systems that I've experienced.

Large amounts of homeless people living and wandering around the system have been curtailed now that the free-ride area in the CBD has been discontinued. Homeless people do use transit and some routes more than others. Some suburban routes seem to have less of a problem than the in-city routes. Some routes going to places that homeless or other low-income residents might need to frequently ride to get to certain services they need may have more problems than others. And of course, as any big city, certain routes just have the reputation of having more problems with troublesome passengers than others.

Metro and Sound Transit do a pretty good job of monitoring overcrowding and correcting it. Still, there are routes that you may have to stand during certain times of the day. So no, I wouldn't say it would be unbearable.

Metro is in the process of transitioning to newer buses and all the newer buses will have air conditioning. There are still a number of older buses in services without A/C but with Seattle's moderate climate, unusually hot or cold interiors are rare. All Sound Transit buses and trains are air conditioned.

Riding on Seattle's transit will generally have the same pros and cons as any big city. Sometimes it just isn't pleasant riding public transit but the majority of time for a commuter, it is fine with few problems.

I just got through reading a humorous bit of reading about true tales compiled by riders of Portland's Trimet from the Portland Mercury ...it's from August but it sure gave me quite a laugh especially the last one that won the contest ...I rolled on the floor for quite awhile laughing at that one --let's face it, "things" do happen on public transit that are just not pleasant; some commented that they're made up, I have every reason to believe they're true LOL:

True Tales of TriMet Terror --Portland Mercury

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 AM

123 posts, read 245,122 times
Sound Transit has a very good system, with new buses, and great express routes,
at least from the north into the city

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM

295 posts, read 659,262 times
As someone who has lived in NYC and has visited Seattle several times, I agree with all of the above. Riding transit is a far more pleasant experience in Seattle compared to NYC. The light-rail to the airport is modern and clean. There are no weekend service disruptions that I know of, unlike the perennial "track work" in NYC. I now live in the D.C. area which also has perennial weekend track work, so whenever I go to Seattle its transit definitely has "that new car smell" compared to the Eastern metropolis.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
As someone who has lived in NYC and has visited Seattle several times, I agree with all of the above. Riding transit is a far more pleasant experience in Seattle compared to NYC. The light-rail to the airport is modern and clean. There are no weekend service disruptions that I know of, unlike the perennial "track work" in NYC. I now live in the D.C. area which also has perennial weekend track work, so whenever I go to Seattle its transit definitely has "that new car smell" compared to the Eastern metropolis.
As someone that has done the opposite, I prefer the NYC subway although I'll admit I've never had to use it to commute. With DC, I occasionally took the Orange line downtown for meetings and found it pleasant. My wife who used it 5 days a week absolutely hated it after a few years. I guess my only point is that occasional users and tourists see it differently. Parts of Seattle transit are nice. The light rail line looks great.

For a real treat though, take the 358 from the International District up Aurora. Any preconceived notions of clean, pleasant Seattle public transit will melt away after a few blocks.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
it's ok.

some of the newer buses are nice but most of the buses are still pretty old and full of smelly people. it also rains a lot so that makes the smell even worse. there is usually 1-2 odd characters on the bus who you should avoid (and you'll want to avoid anyway because of the smell).

the light rail to the airport is pretty nice and i take that frequently.

the bus schedules are pretty good. there is a mobile app that everyone uses to check on bus schedules and times and it's not great but usually within a few minutes.

overall good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area