Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 13,154 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I have decided to move to Seattle in May of 2013 or whenever i find a job. I would greatly appreciate if you guys could tell me where i should be looking for an apartment. I'm 30 years old with no kids, no GF or wife. I love to run and ride my bike. I have no pets. The only thing that i will be taking with will be my bike and my car. Also, where are the places to meet late twenties and early thirties single women. Where are the places with a good nightlife? I'm not looking for the college nightlife atmosphere, but places that have a good selection of handcraft brews and very good restaurants.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,403,499 times
I would suggest Ballard, where there will be 1,700+ new apartments built over the next year or so, some completed in time for your move. This could help stabilize the current high demand/prices. Studios start at about $1,200. If you find something in the area around 15th and Market, you will be close to everything and can either take the Rapidline bus to downtown Seattle to work (or drive). It's flat and you can ride out toward Shilshole/Golden Gardens, or catch the bike trails down near the cruise terminal.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,372,107 times
How big is your car? If I think Texas, my own prejudice conjures up SUV or big truck. That won't work here. At all. Like, the streets and lanes arent big enough. So do limit yourself to mid sized sedan. I see people in SUVs swerving and straddling the lane so often ...

As for neighborhood it might help to know budget. Pretty much the efficient bus system will get you anywhere in the city to where the party is at. Also, helps to know if your job will be downtown or not. How do you handle minorities? Do you mind ethnic food places far outnumbering American joints? If you do good with that you have more options and more affordable housing.

I would recommend east of capitol hill and south of there.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
How big is your car? If I think Texas, my own prejudice conjures up SUV or big truck. That won't work here. At all. Like, the streets and lanes arent big enough. So do limit yourself to mid sized sedan. I see people in SUVs swerving and straddling the lane so often ...

As for neighborhood it might help to know budget. Pretty much the efficient bus system will get you anywhere in the city to where the party is at. Also, helps to know if your job will be downtown or not. How do you handle minorities? Do you mind ethnic food places far outnumbering American joints? If you do good with that you have more options and more affordable housing.

I would recommend east of capitol hill and south of there.

I own a Mitsubishi Lancer, I never liked trucks or big SUV's.

I don't know where i will be working yet, since I'm still looking for a job right now.

Being a minority myself I think i should be able to handle minorities pretty well.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

710 posts, read 1,399,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaped View Post
Hello everyone.

I have decided to move to Seattle in May of 2013 or whenever i find a job. I would greatly appreciate if you guys could tell me where i should be looking for an apartment. I'm 30 years old with no kids, no GF or wife. I love to run and ride my bike. I have no pets. The only thing that i will be taking with will be my bike and my car. Also, where are the places to meet late twenties and early thirties single women. Where are the places with a good nightlife? I'm not looking for the college nightlife atmosphere, but places that have a good selection of handcraft brews and very good restaurants.

Thank you,
I moved to Seattle from Houston in April. I'm also single and in my early thirties. I did it without a job lined up since it was getting really difficult to get the attention of local employers (other than phone interviews) and I couldn't stand living in Texas anymore. After arrival, I had a good response to my resume and found a job within a month and a half. I also found an apartment on top of Queen Anne hill before I moved up here and felt super lucky to find it let alone be accepted to rent it considering I wasn't here nor had a job locally yet. Anyway, the key is to save, save, save and make sure you have a really nice cushion if you plan to move without a job. Once you arrive, just treat the job search as a full-time job and get out of the house. I went to the central library monday-friday from about 10am - 4pm and researched jobs, updated my resume, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 AM

14 posts, read 37,325 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Thank you,
Wow, sounds like me. I'm from Houston, 30, no kids, no GF. I am finishing up my masters in May and thinking about moving to Seattle, Phoenix, or Portland in that order. Houston is a good city but I need a change of pace. I own a home here and I would need sell it before moving.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
I moved to Seattle from Houston in April. I'm also single and in my early thirties. I did it without a job lined up since it was getting really difficult to get the attention of local employers (other than phone interviews) and I couldn't stand living in Texas anymore. After arrival, I had a good response to my resume and found a job within a month and a half. I also found an apartment on top of Queen Anne hill before I moved up here and felt super lucky to find it let alone be accepted to rent it considering I wasn't here nor had a job locally yet. Anyway, the key is to save, save, save and make sure you have a really nice cushion if you plan to move without a job. Once you arrive, just treat the job search as a full-time job and get out of the house. I went to the central library monday-friday from about 10am - 4pm and researched jobs, updated my resume, etc.

How much money would you say i would need to save.

I'm thinking of taking $4,000.00. This is going to be used for my daily expenses, not for rent.

Rent is going to be on a separate savings account.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,730,972 times
Quote:
How much money would you say i would need to save.

I'm thinking of taking $4,000.00. This is going to be used for my daily expenses, not for rent.

Rent is going to be on a separate savings account.

that's should be enough.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,976 times
I'm in a similar situation (single, no children but I do have a cat) only I finished my MA in 2011 and I have not been able to catch the attention of any prospective employers I think becasue of my location. I'm in Ohio and I can't stand living here much longer. I'm think of saving up and just moving. I'm glad to see the feedback on this feed has been positive. I hope things work out for you, it gives me hope that if I do the same thing I will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: