Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Try moving to the Philippines or a 4th world country and see if you get used to it and not complain. The fact is...some people don't mind the rain/gloom/gray, so it's easier for you to call everyone else whiners. Other people really do get affected. Show some empathy.
4th world country... is that when things become like The Hunger Games? If so, I would think weather would be the last thing on your mind.

As for the "whiner" issue... Meh. People are just weird about weather overall. I remember when someone made a comment about not wanting to handle MN winter, another poster told him that obviously he wasn't "tough". I've seen other posters being told they're not "tough" for being unable to withstand or tolerate PNW weather as well. You just gotta get to the point where you realize what other people's perspective on weather is just... *shrugs* that. Just their perspective.

Everyone complains about the weather, sure. But if it's at a point you're getting offended about someone else liking it or appreciating a nice day? You got a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 AM

603 posts, read 877,616 times
Frankly, my best advice is to keep yourself busy. Due to my college studies and work life, I rarely even have time to think about the weather. It is the least of my concerns frankly given my busy schedule. Just a couple years ago, I was not as preoccupied as I am now so the weather always got to me. I suffered from SAD. The doctor said I had a severe Vitamin E deficiency. Nowadays, I only start feeling terrible gloom when its June 30th and the weather is still overcast and rainy.

I am originally from the Midwest so I am used to having 4 seasons, meaning I expect there to be sunshine most days from early March all the way to early November. That's why around May I tend to become more depressed if the weather does not become nice (which it never does).

Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debyne View Post
Why do you read this thread then? The subject is dealing with overcast and rainy weather. Stop looking for threads that will obviously have "complaining" on it, and you will get less of it.
I read it because I'm bored. Stop freaking out.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread...A decent % of those 200+ overcast days started out cloudy and misty and then ended up beee-u-ti-ful by afternoon..But they're still counted as overcast days.

And when I was there some of the overcast days were still pretty bright and nice. (It helps that I'm much more a jacket and blue jeans kinda guy over flip-flops and tank tops)

Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
That's true. A lot of these 200 cloudy days have significant amount of afternoon sun. A lot of the partly cloudy days are mostly sunny. Another reason to hate the American measurements. In Europe they use % of sunshine which is 100000000 times better. If you see 0% sunshine that means completely overcast day and you know what to expect.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyclara View Post
Stop freaking out.
Look in the mirror first.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 AM

15 posts, read 26,555 times
The beauty of the PNW is unrivaled. Also Washington is a cool state, thoughtfully progressive.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 PM

299 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Frankly, my best advice is to keep yourself busy. Due to my college studies and work life, I rarely even have time to think about the weather. It is the least of my concerns frankly given my busy schedule. Just a couple years ago, I was not as preoccupied as I am now so the weather always got to me. I suffered from SAD. The doctor said I had a severe Vitamin E deficiency. Nowadays, I only start feeling terrible gloom when its June 30th and the weather is still overcast and rainy.
Spot on! Keeping yourself occupied with work, school, or other activities that don't involve having to deal with the weather much will help matters. I agree with you- the gray skies don't bother me that much because I keep busy, and the beautiful green scenery that can't be beat is thanks to our winter weather. But I agree that it can get a little old and depressing by June if it lingers on.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM

299 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
That's true. A lot of these 200 cloudy days have significant amount of afternoon sun. A lot of the partly cloudy days are mostly sunny. Another reason to hate the American measurements. In Europe they use % of sunshine which is 100000000 times better. If you see 0% sunshine that means completely overcast day and you know what to expect.
The U.S. weather bureau used the % of sunshine measurement until a few years ago. I don't know why they don't measure it that way anymore. But you're right- the sun often breaks through in the afternoon for a little while and we even have a few completely clear days in the winter and spring. Imagine that! Even San Diego - a city that everyone thinks is so sunny and warm all the time - has a similar weather pattern. It's often cloudy and gloomy in the mornings all spring and summer down there but the sun shines brightly by mid-afternoon.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
The U.S. weather bureau used the % of sunshine measurement until a few years ago. I don't know why they don't measure it that way anymore. But you're right- the sun often breaks through in the afternoon for a little while and we even have a few completely clear days in the winter and spring. Imagine that! Even San Diego - a city that everyone thinks is so sunny and warm all the time - has a similar weather pattern. It's often cloudy and gloomy in the mornings all spring and summer down there but the sun shines brightly by mid-afternoon.
Yep! There are times in May and June in SD when the sun may not come out at all for a week or more. Here in the Bay Area, it's usually in July and August. Seattle's pattern isn't as bizarre as people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area