Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times

Advertisements

The mild winters here make up for the freezing cold winters in Chicago. I've been in Chicago when it was negative 40 (notice i don't need to say celsius or fahrenheit) with the wind chill and it really was freezing outside. We would walk from store to store just to recharge every 5 feet or so.

The summers are also very nice. In Chicago, I've been in some heat waves where elderly folks literally die in their homes.

I don't miss my short time living in Chicago at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisRunR View Post
Adrian71, thank you for that list!!!
Wow, what an eye opener as I grew up in 2 of the towns listed at the bottom! And for last 8 yrs lived in next town over from #99!!
Why do I feel like I won something?! Lol

Thanks for the photo! I can imagine the sun hiding behind those clouds!!!
You're very welcome! And yes, if you look near the top right, there's a brighter spot in the cloud cover. Filtered sunlight! That's just how we roll out here.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM

39 posts, read 60,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
The mild winters here make up for the freezing cold winters in Chicago. I've been in Chicago when it was negative 40 (notice i don't need to say celsius or fahrenheit) with the wind chill and it really was freezing outside. We would walk from store to store just to recharge every 5 feet or so.

The summers are also very nice. In Chicago, I've been in some heat waves where elderly folks literally die in their homes.

I don't miss my short time living in Chicago at all.
Yes, I've experienced the most brutal winters over the years, pre snow blower! May just give it away now!
And summers, yes, many summers of sad news reports of the elderly suffering.
Will not miss exorbitant Nicor bills in winter and Com Ed bills in summer

So, when in the Bay Area I can always recognize tourists by their Pier 39 fleece apparel, are tourists in Seattle area recognized by umbrellas?? Just want to make sure before I pack them.....

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 16,369 times
As for the depression issue due to the gloomy mizzle, I'm thinking of buying stock in the Finest Natural vitamin/supplement company. Vitamin D and B12, here I come!

I also plan on getting a sun lamp (10,000 lux or better), trying to get more exercise and eat better, and get a negative air ionizer. Hopefully these are as effective as I've read. Can't hurt to try, right?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,916 times
I think that is gorgeous! I live in NOVA so what do you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I grew up just on the other side of Lake Michigan from where you are, down in the southwest corner of Michigan, so I know how cloudy it can get there. In fact, check out this list:

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c475.html

The cities here in northwest Washington get the least sun of any place in the United States. But I grew up half an hour south of Kalamazoo, and that's #27 on the list, so I think I've always just been accustomed to cloud cover. And as it relates to you, Chicago and some of its suburbs are at the bottom of that list. I think you might find the weather more of a shock if you were coming from a perpetually sunny place like Phoenix or Miami, but yeah, my guess is that you'll be OK.

To give you an idea, here's a picture I just took out my front window this morning.

That's a pretty typical March sky in the Seattle area.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM

173 posts, read 225,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I love the climate here, but it seriously is something to consider if you need lots of sun. You will get plenty of it in the summer, but I can understand how somebody might find the cloud cover the rest of the year oppressive. Two things that might help:

-- It's not constantly cloudy the rest of the year. You do get some momentary sunbreaks now and then, and there are actually are sunny days here and there throughout the other three seasons. Not a lot, but they happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
I don't argue with your statement, but that's part of the frustrating thing. The sun breaks are so infrequent and they often happen when I'm at work or at times I can't enjoy it. The times it's actually sunny and clear on a weekend when I can truly enjoy it are few and far between. I'm getting sick of the pressure I put on myself to hurry and run outside and do something when it's sunny for 2 hours....then it's over and depressing again.
I must be living in a different city. Unless Metoque is not talking about summer--only the "rest of the year". If I remember correctly we had three, count 'em, three months of constant sunshine last year from mid-July to mid-October. Maybe a cloudy day or two in that whole period. I was getting rather tired of the endless summer as I had to water my garden non-stop through October when I usually suspend watering the beginning of September.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisRunR View Post

So, when in the Bay Area I can always recognize tourists by their Pier 39 fleece apparel, are tourists in Seattle area recognized by umbrellas?? Just want to make sure before I pack them.....
Haha! Nah, people pull them out during hard rains, but I think someone may stand out if they opened an umbrella during a typical "mizzly" day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyProse View Post
As for the depression issue due to the gloomy mizzle, I'm thinking of buying stock in the Finest Natural vitamin/supplement company. Vitamin D and B12, here I come!
Not a bad idea to use a D supplement out here, given the frequent lack of direct sunlight. We do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdale46 View Post
If I remember correctly we had three, count 'em, three months of constant sunshine last year from mid-July to mid-October. Maybe a cloudy day or two in that whole period. I was getting rather tired of the endless summer as I had to water my garden non-stop through October when I usually suspend watering the beginning of September.
Our lawn was turning brown by the end of last summer. Didn't we set a record for the most consecutive days in Seattle without rain -- or at least come really close to the record? Yeah, the blue skies and warm temps are nice and all, but I was more than ready for my clouds and rain to come back by the end of summer.

EDIT: OK, I guess it was the second longest streak, 48 days, ended by a few sprinkles at SeaTac in September.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Rain...169162916.html

Last edited by Adrian71; 03-03-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
As it happens, we have clear sky this morning with the sun shining brightly, very unusual treat. It started out at 35 but is already up to 41 and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny all day and up to 50. We also had a longer summer than usual with sun into September this past year. Make the best of days like today and get out into the sun, take a hike or bike ride. I happen to like the constant rain and clouds, but some people have a hard time getting used to it. If you want it to be green all year you have to expect rain.

Compare the dry brown hills where I used to live in CA to the kind of views we have here.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I get a prescription to anti-depressants now??!!!!-cahills.jpg   Should I get a prescription to anti-depressants now??!!!!-snoq-val.jpg  

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM

39 posts, read 60,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As it happens, we have clear sky this morning with the sun shining brightly, very unusual treat. It started out at 35 but is already up to 41 and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny all day and up to 50. We also had a longer summer than usual with sun into September this past year. Make the best of days like today and get out into the sun, take a hike or bike ride. I happen to like the constant rain and clouds, but some people have a hard time getting used to it. If you want it to be green all year you have to expect rain.

Compare the dry brown hills where I used to live in CA to the kind of views we have here.
Love the comparison photos, wow, your view is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to visit later this month, I have my journal ready to measure rainfall, keep track of sunlight and grey skies j/k, kind of....

Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdale46 View Post
I must be living in a different city. Unless Metoque is not talking about summer--only the "rest of the year". If I remember correctly we had three, count 'em, three months of constant sunshine last year from mid-July to mid-October. Maybe a cloudy day or two in that whole period. I was getting rather tired of the endless summer as I had to water my garden non-stop through October when I usually suspend watering the beginning of September.
I was talking about the rest of the year. On a separate note, this last summer was an anomaly compared to the previous 4 summers I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area