Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of swimming in the cold lakes here (Ex lifeguard/instructor) so I've taken my chances in the warmer ones. Never had an issue with swimmers itch even in greenlake, but you're best off taking a full soap shower afterwards. Any lake with water fowl has the issue.

Matthews beach park does have a swimming area, but it's not that warm - same with Magnuson. Madison/Madrona are better from what I remember. Supposedly North Beach is warm enough to swim at during the summer due to the long, shallow bay but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Lake Washington water temp is fine after you've been in it a few minutes. It's just the first seconds you dive in that are cold! Then it becomes refreshing.

Yes, some people do join country clubs here. Some communities are even built around them. Some examples: Medina (Overlake GCC), Broadmoor (in Madison Park), Harbour Point (in Mukilteo), Mill Creek, Inglewood (in Kenmore), Snoqualmie.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
I've been looking at swimming possibilities too since I will be in Seattle over the summer by myself with two kids who, being from TX, are big swimmers. I am especially curious to hear about Madrona Beach since we are not too far from there.

But I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Colman Pool! Online it looks great, and it's in West Seattle, right? A place that angelenogirl would like to be. A heated saltwater pool with views, plus a giant tube slide. Is it as nice as it looks?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I've been looking at swimming possibilities too since I will be in Seattle over the summer by myself with two kids who, being from TX, are big swimmers. I am especially curious to hear about Madrona Beach since we are not too far from there.

But I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Colman Pool! Online it looks great, and it's in West Seattle, right? A place that angelenogirl would like to be. A heated saltwater pool with views, plus a giant tube slide. Is it as nice as it looks?
Colman Pool is awesome, but it gets very crowded. But yes, it is as nice as it looks. It's right in beautiful Lincoln Park.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
mkarch: Do people take a soap shower immediately after getting out, in the public showers? Or do you mean you should take one as soon as you get home?

BellevueNative: Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not really the type, but in my search for swimming I saw some in-city CCs. I'd never really seen one smack dab in the middle of a city, so I just wondered if that's a good option for swimming.

fnh & Ira: I will definitely be checking out Colman pool! The pictures look nice. Ira, is it less crowded during weekdays during the summer, or is it always crazy?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Colman Pool is awesome, but it gets very crowded. But yes, it is as nice as it looks. It's right in beautiful Lincoln Park.
It's a beautiful pool and it's one of the 'faster' ones in the area thanks to the added buoyancy of the salt water. I think I've blocked it from memory after too many mornings as a teenager spent trekking down the bluff at 7am to freezing cold locker rooms before hitting the pool when it's 50 degrees outside. Since it's on the west side of the bluff, it's really REALLY cold there in the early mornings through most of the summer.

As for greenlake, yes, I'd wait until I got home to shower. It may have been luck that I never had a problem.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
mkarch: Do people take a soap shower immediately after getting out, in the public showers? Or do you mean you should take one as soon as you get home?

BellevueNative: Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not really the type, but in my search for swimming I saw some in-city CCs. I'd never really seen one smack dab in the middle of a city, so I just wondered if that's a good option for swimming.

fnh & Ira: I will definitely be checking out Colman pool! The pictures look nice. Ira, is it less crowded during weekdays during the summer, or is it always crazy?
Yeas, it's less crowded weekdays in the summer. But still crowded. I think the Mounger Pool in Magnolia is also salt water.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I'm not a big fan of swimming in the cold lakes here (Ex lifeguard/instructor) so I've taken my chances in the warmer ones. Never had an issue with swimmers itch even in greenlake, but you're best off taking a full soap shower afterwards. Any lake with water fowl has the issue.

Matthews beach park does have a swimming area, but it's not that warm - same with Magnuson. Madison/Madrona are better from what I remember. Supposedly North Beach is warm enough to swim at during the summer due to the long, shallow bay but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Honey, if you want cold water, try swimming in Puget Sound! Matthews Beach, etc. ARE the warm alternative, lol! Besides, the purpose of swimming in hot weather is to cool you off, right? You want the water to be cool, refreshing, invigorating.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Honey, if you want cold water, try swimming in Puget Sound! Matthews Beach, etc. ARE the warm alternative, lol! Besides, the purpose of swimming in hot weather is to cool you off, right? You want the water to be cool, refreshing, invigorating.
I've gone swimming in Puget Sound. In my much younger days. Now, I think you'd have to be insane or have a very expensive wet suit to do it. I've never been colder in my life, and i wasn't even in that long.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I've gone swimming in Puget Sound. In my much younger days. Now, I think you'd have to be insane or have a very expensive wet suit to do it. I've never been colder in my life, and i wasn't even in that long.
Puget sound definitely is an acquired taste. Women don't need a wetsuit for it though; we have a built-in subcutaneous insulation layer.

OP, showering off when you get home from a swim is fine re: swimmer's itch avoidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area