Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times

Advertisements

Do you think that the light system will ever expand to the eastside and south sound? Are you satisfied with the progress they have made so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM

290 posts, read 288,705 times
Devan,

Eastside link is supposed to go live in 2023. As for the south end, the line from the Airport to South 200th is planned, funded, and is scheduled to open in 2016. Beyond that the picture is a bit murkier. Voters authorized an extension of the line to So. 272nd street but there's not enough funding to complete it. And while there's been a lot of talk about a further southern extension to S. 320th in Federal Way, but that's neither authorized nor funded.

If you're interested, much more at the following:

Projects & Plans

Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
They need to extend it upward towards Mount Lake Terrace/Edmonds

Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Do you think that the light system will ever expand to the eastside and south sound? Are you satisfied with the progress they have made so far?
It'll be expanded eventually, its all in the plans already. In regards to the Eastside, I had hoped that someone would buy the Coke Plant and put the NBA arena over there since the LR runs right by it. But that sounds like a moot point now.

Progress seems to take too long (which I understand, but bleh), but I'm sure it'll all be forgotten the moment its in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
They need to extend it upward towards Mount Lake Terrace/Edmonds
Lynnwood Link Extension

Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Why are so many people so clueless about the Light Rail plans? It's all on the website, and I assure you it IS moving forward. I get all of the emails about East Link. Thursday night is yet another meeting at the Bellevue Hilton to talk about the MI and South Bellevue station designs (beautification and what not). The route has been approved, and the next step is property purchases (supposed to be happening this summer/fall). It is running on track to be complete by 2023.

North Link is approved to go up to Lynnwood right now, and it, too, is scheduled to open in 2023.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Why are so many people so clueless about the Light Rail plans? It's all on the website, and I assure you it IS moving forward. I get all of the emails about East Link. Thursday night is yet another meeting at the Bellevue Hilton to talk about the MI and South Bellevue station designs (beautification and what not). The route has been approved, and the next step is property purchases (supposed to be happening this summer/fall). It is running on track to be complete by 2023.

North Link is approved to go up to Lynnwood right now, and it, too, is scheduled to open in 2023.
Key word: supposed

I looked on their website for the light link rail going to Mount Lake Terrace. There is a page that states that its estimated completion rate is 2013, but there is an environmental review going on and the plans are not final .

Also, if you look on their project map for the north gate-MLT extension, it just shows a colored in area, not the actual route (because there currently isn't one).

PS: How does the Orca card work exactly? Is it kind of like a credit card that charges you for riding? I saw that they have monthly passes, but does the Orca card work for the bus if you buy the monthly pass amount? So its unlimited rides per day as long as the fare is under what we paid for as the "average fare" at the machine?

Last edited by RunTheDistance476; 05-29-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Key word: supposed

I looked on their website for the light link rail going to Mount Lake Terrace. There is a page that states that its estimated completion rate is 2013, but there is an environmental review going on and the plans are not final .

Also, if you look on their project map for the north gate-MLT extension, it just shows a colored in area, not the actual route (because there currently isn't one).

PS: How does the Orca card work exactly? Is it kind of like a credit card that charges you for riding? I saw that they have monthly passes, but does the Orca card work for the bus if you buy the monthly pass amount? So its unlimited rides per day as long as the fare is under what we paid for as the "average fare" at the machine?
If you looked further, you would have seen that there is already an actual route already set. That Environment review is simply them trying to decide how they would set it up: Location & stations

ORCA card is basically set up for all modes of transportation. You can read how they've set it up here: ORCA: FAQ

Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
What about the 405 line Lynnwood to Kirkland and Bellevue? I-405 is even more congested than I-5

Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What about the 405 line Lynnwood to Kirkland and Bellevue? I-405 is even more congested than I-5
I do know that there is a plan floating around (not confirmed or yet set in plan) where they would like to use that rail track line where the Spirit of WA dinner train used to go on (to Woodinville from Renton) and have it eventually go to Snohomish-- which would increase the accessibility aspect. As it is now, the Eastside LR line focuses more on access to Bellevue DT and MS from Seattle.

I think they should also plan for LR from Puyallup to Renton (along 167)... that would help a lot. But of course money's the issue there and it'll be decades before this even becomes a possibility.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If you looked further, you would have seen that there is already an actual route already set. That Environment review is simply them trying to decide how they would set it up: Location & stations

ORCA card is basically set up for all modes of transportation. You can read how they've set it up here: ORCA: FAQ
I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area