Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

24 posts, read 94,448 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm from a little hell hole in Southern California that I desperately need to move out of. I can't stand the entire state any longer. All of my friends are telling me I'm crazy for considering the PNW, they say I won't like the weather (they know nothing about me), and mostly they say that people from Washington don't like us Californians. I just tell them "Well then I'll fit in just fine, because I'm not crazy about California either."

For a long time I've been fascinated by the Seattle area, and the areas surrounding. I love the state, the Sound, the weather (yes, I like rain and cold, so do the dogs) and I love what Seattle has to offer.

I won't need to relocate for a long time (meaning no sooner than 8 years), so I'm aware that things may change in the area.

First thing you should know, DOGS are the main focus. So fellow dog people are more than welcome to join in. The place I'm looking for needs to be within reasonable driving distance from Seattle, I'm in love with the city and the whole area, not to mention the Seattle Kennel Club. This place must have ABSOLUTELY NO dog breed bans or crazy ordinances. I own an American Pit Bull Terrier and a German Shepherd Dog and I always will own these breeds.

Second priority - Land. I'm an aspiring dog breeder and I want nothing more than to dive head first into the world of dogs. I need land because of the kennel I will be building. I also need land around me so I don't disturb the 'neighbors'.

Third priority - Prices. All kinds of prices. I want to buy a home (remember the land) that is affordable. Meaning I CAN'T afford much over $750k. Property taxes. High or low? Obviously I'd like to live in the most affordable place possible without compromising quality. I'm used to living in CA where prices are sky high, I won't be able to live here when I start my business.

And all of the other things like crime rate, quality of the area, the kind of people. Schools are not important because I will not be having children. The town/city/county needs to be at least somewhat dog friendly. I need training clubs in the area and I also need people that have dogs that need training, for I will become a trainer myself and I will undoubtedly need clients.

Am I asking too much of this beautiful green state? Be honest.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Nothing?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
So you will work from home? You will be able to get a very nice place for that money outside of Seattle. I don't live there yet but have been doing alot of research. Be patient in this forum, people don't answer rite away but give great detailed advice. Good luck!!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
So you will work from home? You will be able to get a very nice place for that money outside of Seattle. I don't live there yet but have been doing alot of research. Be patient in this forum, people don't answer rite away but give great detailed advice. Good luck!!
Yes, I will be working from home.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:01 PM

51 posts, read 261,775 times
How close are you hoping to be to metro Seattle? Generally speaking land gets exponentially cheaper the further away from city center you go (as is the case with most cities). The peninsula is beautiful, but is a ferry ride away from Seattle - sounds fun in theory, but can get old quick.

If you're not looking to be in the center of everything, you should have no trouble finding a place for 750k slightly off the beaten path with a good bit of land. Don't know much about property taxes since I still rent. Unfortunately I'm not able to recommend anything more specific since I've only lived in Seattle / Bellevue city limits during my years in western WA, but I've seen it all and the natural beauty is hard to beat no matter where you are.

Crime Rate is low compared to cities of similar sizes. Very few violent crimes, but more than our fair share of property crimes - auto theft is our main problem. People TEND to be more reserved here but we have everything under the sun ( or ...rain?! Ha! ), fairly liberal in the cities and conservative elsewhere.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
What part of Inland Empire are you? My husband and I met in High School up in Lake Arrowhead, and my parents still live in Redlands. Honestly I'd live there over here any day of the week - and we've been discussing moving back there...although I don't like most of So Cal but at least it's closer to my parents (and his too actually)

But I digress

Tons of Dog parks here - you are in good dog company

750K for a home will get you almost anywhere you want to go

I really like the Northern Seattle areas like Duvall and Monroe (where the Evergreen Fair is ) - tons of land there too.

PS - Property taxes are about half what they are in Calif

Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM

59 posts, read 361,941 times
Well, you're moving in eight years so it's really hard to recommend good neighborhoods/suburbs for you to live in, because lots could change. But I think you'll fit in with Seattle, I know lots of people that call themselves "obsessed with their dog" and they really like the parks that Seattle has.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
What part of Inland Empire are you? My husband and I met in High School up in Lake Arrowhead, and my parents still live in Redlands.

PS - Property taxes are about half what they are in Calif
I'm in Hemet, the retirement capitol of the IE!! Only about an hour, 2 hours from Lake Arrowhead/Redlands. Those areas are much nicer than here! It's so boring here, I'm just looking for excitement and activity. The closest place to find the things I'm interested is San Diego! That's too far for me.

That's great to hear. I honestly didn't think Seattle was so much cheaper than CA, I may want to lower my price standards. $750k is the absolute maximum I can afford! My sister just bought a 1/2 acre lot in a crappy neighborhood in Vista for that price. I thought it was insane, but I guess I'm used to it now.

Thanks everyone!

I just thought I'd throw this in, 8 years is probably not an accurate number, it could be more around 3 or 4 years, or until I can get things sorted out so I can gather up my things and leave. Recent activity in my town has compelled me to kick-start the search. I really hate it here.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamOfPNW View Post
I'm in Hemet, the retirement capitol of the IE!! Only about an hour, 2 hours from Lake Arrowhead/Redlands. Those areas are much nicer than here! It's so boring here, I'm just looking for excitement and activity. The closest place to find the things I'm interested is San Diego! That's too far for me.

That's great to hear. I honestly didn't think Seattle was so much cheaper than CA, I may want to lower my price standards. $750k is the absolute maximum I can afford! My sister just bought a 1/2 acre lot in a crappy neighborhood in Vista for that price. I thought it was insane, but I guess I'm used to it now.

Thanks everyone!

I just thought I'd throw this in, 8 years is probably not an accurate number, it could be more around 3 or 4 years, or until I can get things sorted out so I can gather up my things and leave. Recent activity in my town has compelled me to kick-start the search. I really hate it here.
4 years to gather up things? You must have a lot of crap!

J/K

Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
OHHH HEMET! My grandparents lived there! But that was way before all the new developments out there - I have heard it's grown in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area