Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM

172 posts, read 297,213 times

Advertisements

The idea of the Seattle Freeze actually doesn't faze me at all. I actually think I could be accused of it myself! I've been told I'm really friendly, and I genuinely enjoy people, and have friendships of various degrees ... but goodness, I have a busy life you know, and I can't just be instant buddies with everyone I meet. I am not the type who makes instant bonds with people, but over time, as you suss out their attitudes and views on life and their style, a comment here, a moment there ... those who are of 'like mind' (or even different mind, but are sort of interested in similar things), tend to become friends. Not in a frenetic or instantaneous declarative moment, but over time, someone can become familiar and become a part of your landscape, and then if you realise you actually enjoy it when you interact, you interact more and ... you are friends. It's about knowing people and people knowing you (as in really who you are, not just your manners), and that takes time.

I'm going to miss my friends here. I've done two major moves in my life, this will be my third, and everywhere, I've been so lucky to meet awesome people and let them sneak into my heart (it did take time!) I don't see why Seattle wouldn't have its share of awesome people, too.

SSLifestyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Congrats. How much is that apt, if I may ask?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Welcome to Seattle! Sounds like you're going to do just fine.

In some ways I'm glad I didn't find this board right off the bat. As it was I lived in blissful ignorance of the social challenges of others for my first decade here. Made friends left and right, and enjoyed the outdoors and the weather. Since I'm getting old enough to be set in my ways - I think I'll probably just keep on doing just that. Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Congrats. How much is that apt, if I may ask?
Look up his last thread or two. The apt. is quite affordable.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM

588 posts, read 1,015,125 times
Some folks just can't stand to see others happy. Ignore the naysayers AT, you are doing everything right! Congrats on the big move, I know just what you mean about feeling reborn after being stuck somewhere you weren't happy.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
I recognize "freeze" elements even though I have made a lot of friendships, and some of them very close. These things are not mutually exclusive. People are people everywhere, but the social norms do differ regionally. One thing I appreciate here is that people are generally intelligent and capable of deep coversation, so if you are persistent in making plans with someone here and do not take cancellations personally, the payoff is a quality, long-term friendship with real conversation. My opinion, of course.

OP, glad you are loving it and we are sunny. Truly beautiful outside right now. If you like coffee, Zoka at UW or Greenlake is worth a visit. I love their mochas, too. Up your way, there is a nice little German coffeeshop on Lake City Way in its downtown area. Starts with a K. They make yummy German pastries. If you drive a few miles north on Lake City Way, check out Third Place -- great bookstore with food court, lots of book readings and music entertainment on weekends. That section of the Burke Gilman Trail is also gorgeous, if you like biking. Bothell is cute & has theater and other culture. So much to explore!

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-12-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Look up his last thread or two. The apt. is quite affordable.
surprised to hear. It looks pricey, haha.

Do you like it there? I mean in Seattle.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM

165 posts, read 206,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post

Up your way, there is a nice little German coffeeshop on Lake City Way in its downtown area. Starts with a K. They make yummy German pastries.
KaffeeKlatsch
Coffee from Kaffeeklatsch Seattle - Home

The Bakery is a heavensend to the Lake City neighborhood.
My German grandmother would be pleased!

Last edited by Data Donut; 08-12-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
KaffeeKlatsch
Coffee from Kaffeeklatsch Seattle - Home

The Bakery is a heavensend to the Lake City neighborhood.
My German grandmother would be pleased!
Lake City's got great beer and great pastries.
Statistically, do you think the residents of Lake City weigh more than the average Seattleite? I would.
Some things I have great willpower over. Strudel is not one of those things.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Woooo, after 4 long days of traveling nearly 500 miles and busting my ass with my dad moving my stuff to my new home in Solara in Lake City, im finally here and IM FREAKING LOVING IT!!!!! For those of you who may not know my back story, here are my previous threads on my adventure to explore and decide to move to the awesome city of Seattle.

Just got back from a great birthday Seattle visit!

Safe apt living areas around University of Washington?

So so so much to go do and see in Seattle its almost overwhelming to me, and I haven't event started my job at the UW until Monday either! Man, I've already been around about and seen so many freaking awesomes things to go do, people to meet, activities to try out and so, so so many lovey asian ladies all over that im going crazy with turning my neck left and right lol!

I've had such an upbeat, postive and outgoing attitude since the first day coming here I can't stop smiling most of the time. I feel so alive and reborn after finally leaving my home state and town after 33 years and being a real rut the past year trying to find a new home to be with a lot more fellow geeks and things to go do, places and activities to go and meet new people and friends. I've been polite and observant of peoples moods and 90% of the time so far, people have been smiling back, saying Hi and i've had great short conversations with people at Fred Meyers, my apt complex, on the street and at a few restuarants, so I"m not really feeling this "Seattle Freeze" very much. I think its much more of a mindset of people all around as I can tell easily when people are acting "withdrawn" and "plugged in" with ipods, tablets and what not and don't wish to engage in face to face contact, especially a lot of women in public.

I"ve already met my first friend at another apt complex that I was look at a few weeks ago, she was a very sweet, polite and kind gal with a really good head on her shoulders and she seemed very surprised at how very outgoing, polite and honest I was with stating that I really liked her pesonality, the fact that she's also a geek and a gamer and that I asked her straight out if she would like to be friends, she was genuinely shocked and pleased at the same time, it made her smile a lot. It made me feel really good and so freaking alive and happy, I can't begin to tell you how awesome it feels to be here and have so much potential all around me!

Look out seattle, the man from Montana is here and he is ready to rock and live in his new home in The Emerald City!

Just wait until next year when you get sick of the clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area