Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am so pumped right now! I just got offered and accepted a position with the University of Washington College of Education in the IT department! At long, long last, after being born and raised in my homestate and wanting to start an new section of my life for this single geek, I"m finally moving outa Montana and coming to the Emerald city! I am so excited and scared at the same time!

I was over in your wonderful city a few weeks ago for my birthday and it just felt "right" all over!

Just got back from a great birthday Seattle visit!

Now that I have at long last secured work, the next big task is to figure out where to locate myself in the very near future and I could really use some local help and incite on what are some good options for me. My big must is that is has to be in a safe area with low local crime, especially theft and breaking and entering. I"ll break it down to keep it simple

Budget: $1200 including utilities or less a month.

MUSTS HAVES:

High speed internet access, preferably cable or speedy DSL
Be in a low crime area
At least 1 bedroom
Be able to keep a single average size cat
Have bus stops that will take me UW area should I decide not to try
Dedicated parking lot, NO STREETS!!!

NICE TO HAVES:

Covered parking or even garages
Close to grocery stores and gas station

I'm more into quieter, urban type enviroments so I am fine if I have to drive/bus farther from the UW if that is what it takes as I don't wanna be a very busy and busling area like Fremont or California. It was fun to enjoy the culture and the people around Fremont when I visited last month but its something I don't wanna live around personally or pay the extra money to be close to active areas.

My new boss says that the Ballard area is pretty popular and tends to be quieter vs the Lake Capital Hill area where more younger people tend to live but the cost is higher. Lake City and GreenWood along Olympic hills are other areas I was looking into. Can any of you long term seattle locals give me incite into the pro's and cons of each area and which would likely be a better fit for me?

Thanks much for any information and I will be keeping a close eye on this thread for updates and adding more information about my situation and needs if anyones asks for it.

Last edited by AT-AT28; 07-16-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Hey all, I am so pumped right now! I just got offered and accepted a position with the University of Washington College of Education in the IT department! At long, long last, after being born and raised in my homestate and wanting to start an new section of my life for this single geek, I"m finally moving outa Montana and coming to the Emerald city! I am so excited and scared at the same time!

I was over in your wonderful city a few weeks ago for my birthday and it just felt "right" all over!

Just got back from a great birthday Seattle visit!

Now that I have at long last secured work, the next big task is to figure out where to locate myself in the very near future and I could really use some local help and incite on what are some good options for me. My big must is that is has to be in a safe area with low local crime, especially theft and breaking and entering. I"ll break it down to keep it simple

Budget: $1200 including utilities or less a month.

MUSTS HAVES:

High speed internet access, preferably cable or speedy DSL
Be in a low crime area
At least 1 bedroom
Be able to keep a single average size cat
Have bus stops that will take me UW area should I decide not to try
Dedicated parking lot, NO STREETS!!!

NICE TO HAVES:

Covered parking or even garages
Close to grocery stores and gas station

I'm more into quieter, urban type enviroments so I am fine if I have to drive/bus farther from the UW if that is what it takes as I don't wanna be a very busy and busling area like Fremont or California. It was fun to enjoy the culture and the people around Fremont when I visited last month but its something I don't wanna live around personally or pay the extra money to be close to active areas.

My new boss says that the Ballard area is pretty popular and tends to be quieter vs the Lake Capital Hill area where more younger people tend to live but the cost is higher. Lake City and GreenWood along Olympic hills are other areas I was looking into. Can any of you long term seattle locals give me incite into the pro's and cons of each area and which would likely be a better fit for me?

Thanks much for any information and I will be keeping a close eye on this thread for updates and adding more information about my situation and needs if anyones asks for it.
No suggestions but congratulations! I think you're going to have a lot of fun!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks much. Can anyone give me incite into what leasing or rental agencies I should avoid in the Seattle area that tend to have a bad track record?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,482,293 times
Congratulations on getting a job with UW. The benefits are stellar there.

My neighborhood suggestion is Ravenna, which is close-by but quiet.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I agree with Ravenna. Wedgwood too. Lake City is a mixed bag. Some people find it a bit scuzzy,

Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM

462 posts, read 742,035 times
Would you consider the eastside by any chance AT?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Congratulations on getting a job with UW. The benefits are stellar there.

My neighborhood suggestion is Ravenna, which is close-by but quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I agree with Ravenna. Wedgwood too. Lake City is a mixed bag. Some people find it a bit scuzzy,

Ravenna, where is that located and what makes that and Wedgewood better choices then say Queen Anne area which i've heard is nice or NorthWest Seattle area that I see more urban area's with grocery stores close by and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Would you consider the eastside by any chance AT?
Across Washington Lake? I dunno, that would add to my commute either car or bus, what do you have in mind?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Crown Hill (North of Ballard) might work better than other neighborhoods as far as the parking situation.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Anyone know of what area's near UW I could park for a low monthly/yearly rate or for free even? What are the costs and terms for a bus pass?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Anyone know of what area's near UW I could park for a low monthly/yearly rate or for free even? What are the costs and terms for a bus pass?
If I'm not mistaken, the UW offers employees subsidized bus passes, available for 132 dollars per calendar quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area