Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with InkPoe on Federal Way.. Actually, the traffic from Federal Way to Seattle is not as bad as going north to Shoreline or to the Eastside.. The freeway is very large and stupid merge lanes are not common like in other parts of the PUget Sound. Also, Federal Way gives you options of using multiple freeways to circumvent the traffic. If you don't commute during the core rush hour traffic hours, like early mornings and 5-7 in afternoon, you can pretty much travel to Seattle to Federal Way without traffic and many people drive 70 on the road.

As I was suggesting, don't just drive home from work at end of day, but rather go hang out and do something in city for an hour or two to miss the traffic. If you consider how bad the traffic is within Seattle during rush hour, getting from one part of the city is sometimes not much faster than commuting out of the city on the freeway, which has more lanes, less traffic lights, pedestrians, etc. The streets of Seattle are very small and not all of them were built when the city was a fraction the size.

I like Federal Way because its spread out a bit, forested and you don't have all the chaos and craziness, as well as being stuck in a box like you would living in Seattle. Too me, Seattle is so much hype. I was noticing how many condos and nice housing accommodations are popping up all over Tacoma. It seems Seattle's crazy prices are driving the middle-class people out in droves and are transforming Tacoma into a much nicer place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
You disagree with me? You obviously never driven during those times because you wouldn't be sprouting the 20-30 mins. From Federal Way to DT Seattle, it's at the minimum of 25 mins, not any less-- and that only happens if there's absolutely no traffic. You can't just sprout off the 20-30 mins and act like it's the only fact, the only thing anyone will ever experience.

I live right by the airport and have very easy access to the freeway. My house is exactly 13 mins to Seattle Center (10 mins to the southern brim of DT)-- when there's absolutely NO traffic. During the day it ranges from 18-42 minutes. I know this because I've made this drive many many times. My husband worked in various places, various times in the DT area and he prefers that I drop him off-- so believe me I'm very familiar with the traffic flows on i5. He has worked in the Portage Bay area and luckily can set his commute to just before the morning rush hits. There's still some traffic, so there's only a few minutes added. It takes 21 minutes. You have at least an extra 12 miles on me and UW is further away. Seriously... Think about that. OP isn't going to have some 20-30 mins commute from Federal Way.

And you're think that for him to get to Shoreline, he has to use freeway? Shoreline actually gives him more multiple options to circumvent traffic than Federal Way does.

As it is, it sounds like the OP is looking for the Seattle experience. Which would point him to any of the Seattle neighborhoods. Federal Way, Eastside, Shoreline isn't going to cut it for him now, though it could later.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
I keep hearing not the greatest things about the Lake City area and apparently, Auroura/99 apparently has got issues with pimps, prostitutes and non trusthworthy people in general is what my sister and brother in law said who lived in Seattle for a few years. Apparently the farther north you go on 99, the worse it gets. Any info on how bad the area around Auroura avenue is from other locals?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Well, Hwy 99 anywhere isn't really that highly regarded. The pimps/prostitutes is not as bad as it was many many years ago. There's probably still some drug dealings. Nothing too bad. Hwy99 however just looks not as clean as the rest of Seattle does and there's some blight along the road. Its a very well used arterial. I'm often on it. I wouldn't be scared of walking through it.

You should still check out Lake City though. Its not as bad as people like to paint it.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

InkPoe, I always wait out the rush hour, there is always something for me to do to kill time.. However, I have traveled the route during rush hour and it still takes under an hour. There are alternative routes. Actually, the traffic on 99 near Shoreline and Aurora is quite nasty, you just crawl down that road, although, there probably is alternative routes as well.

Shoreline is not that bad though.. I'd certainly advise saving the extra money and getting a place in Shoreline. But, I think Federal Way also has a lot of nice areas and the commute is not horrible, by any means.

I've heard bad things of Lake City, but Seattle doesn't really have any bad ghettos that I can see. It has ghetto looking areas at first glance, but when you stroll around the areas are not as bad as you think, such as Aurora and North Seattle.

I'd also consider Burien, which is an area many people claim is quite decent and less expensive.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM

413 posts, read 789,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I keep hearing not the greatest things about the Lake City area and apparently, Auroura/99 apparently has got issues with pimps, prostitutes and non trusthworthy people in general is what my sister and brother in law said who lived in Seattle for a few years. Apparently the farther north you go on 99, the worse it gets. Any info on how bad the area around Auroura avenue is from other locals?
Aurora does get worse the further north you go. As for how bad Aurora and Lake City are, I'm not sure how to answer that. I don't what your criteria are. I don't consider them to be dangerous, just sketchy and run-down. Honestly, aside from some parts of the Central District, there is nowhere in Seattle where I would actually be concerned about my safety.

That said, I'd never live in Lake City or right on Aurora, but not because of crime, but because I find those areas to be lacking in the cool stuff that the more central neighborhoods (Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, U-District, etc.) have. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Steve Bowen; 07-21-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM

You pay for that cool stuff..

Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM

462 posts, read 742,035 times
You may want to check the northern parts of seattle to, or even take a bus from kenmore. But ya rents are climbing to SF Bay area prices b4 you know it.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
So I think I found dang near the perfect place for me and it looks like they have a 1 bedroom open. It has multiple bus routes, has a rebuilt fitness center, an indoor spa and pool, 3 outdoor pools, takes cats, covered parking *likely reserved*, close to Safeway and QFC *they grocery stores around here?* A nearby cat clinic, a close Starbucks and hell, even tennis and basketball courts! And its next to a big golf course!

Its a bit older in style and layout and appliances look older and its a bit further north then I'd like but man, I don't think I could do much better for the price. Anyone have information on how safe the area is, especially to walk around in?

Executive Estates : The Finest in Apartment Living in Seattle

Wall to wall windows, pool view

Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I think I know where that is; up the hill a little from Lake City. I don't think they're being honest when they say it's near a bus to the UW. Ask them which bus line that would be, and how far it is from the building, how many blocks. Lots of amenities, though. And you're right, it's a good price. If you decide you don't like the location, you can always move in a year, once you know the city better. The Safeway and QFC are on Lake City Way. Ask for a south-facing unit, if you can get one. You'll appreciate the extra sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area