Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 AM

70 posts, read 128,024 times

Advertisements

I totally know what you mean. When we moved up for my husband's job, we thought we were going to live it up and live in a downtown high rise but couldn't bring ourselves to fork over $2000/month for rent! Maybe check this out?

Neighborhood | Radford Court Apartments | Seattle, WA

This might help too. I did a similar thing at UCSD here.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwfacaux/vfhs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
Radford is completely booked up, have been for months.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM

70 posts, read 128,024 times
That's tough! I know how stressful it is to move out of state and not even know where you will live. Have you thought about staying at an extended stay hotel while you look? I know contractors who do that and it's basically a month of rent but you can figure out the city. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
I used to live on 143rd in Olympic Hills, the neighborhood across 15th from the Executive Estates. One of DH's friends lived in those apartments for a long time before getting married and buying the house. The location is convenient to the UW where I was working at the time. I took the 65 to campus because I lived closer to 30th, but there are buses running down 15th as you've discovered. I'm perplexed why you've been told it would be a long walk to the bus stop which is practically out your doorstep. I'm also perplexed why you are getting advice to live in distant suburbs. I mean, why on earth would you do that at this point? There are lots of quiet places in Seattle proper, even close in. I wouldn't have initially pointed you this far north of campus for your first experience living in Seattle, but it's a fine area to be if you don't mind being in what I would call the 'near suburbs'.

There is a QFC at the SE corner of 145th & 15th we used to walk to all the time. The Starbucks is at the same corner across 15th. Quick access to I-5 or Lake City Way, the Burke Gilman access is just beyond 145th and LCW (but it is steep!)

Lake City is not as shiny as other areas of town and gets a bad rap (as does the Central District) but I think if you are willing to try out some of the less glamorous neighborhoods such as this one you will find a much better value. Heck, we are an educated, affluent white family with young kids who have lived/are living in two of the roughest areas of town according to the posters on CD. Point is, take the warnings you read here with a grain of salt.

I really appreciate the posts from Ira500 by the way, he gives terrific advice on the various neighborhoods, the good and bad.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM

17 posts, read 25,883 times
AT-AT28, those bus trip itineraries you posted looked pretty good from a bus commuting perspective. Having multiple buses to your destination is really good, particularly express ones. 0.3 miles to the stop is not bad in my opinion.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorsha View Post
AT-AT28, those bus trip itineraries you posted looked pretty good from a bus commuting perspective. Having multiple buses to your destination is really good, particularly express ones. 0.3 miles to the stop is not bad in my opinion.
It's not too far to walk but it sounded too far to me for the location so I just double checked... There is a bus stop much closer to the apartments, just a block or so north on 15th. I guess Metro's trip planner automatically assumes you would rather walk further in the direction you're headed rather than use the closer stop right behind you.

Good point about having bus options.

Somewhat related, I love the app OneBusAway! I never have to wait for a bus anymore, just check the app and leave my house with a minute to spare. Check it out when you're here.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Wait... There's a different map on the apt. website than the one I saw when I first looked up your info. It looks like you're right off 15th NE. If so, then you're right on the 73 line. Though when I lived in the area, it didn't go that far north. I guess it does now. It sounds like you're well-located, I take back my earlier statements re: buses & Lake City. Sorry to cause confusion.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM

462 posts, read 742,035 times
you could probably find a 1 bedroom on the east side within your price range, but ya i agree its stressful and very competitive AT-A28, i just moved up here from the armpit of cali on June 1st, and I had to get a place within 2 weeks to start my new job as I was a just graduated in May.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
It looks like a good location to me, right by a golf course, and 1/2 block from the bus. And it has killer amenities! The only thing is, OP, that the 73 runs every half hour, and in the evenings and Sundays, it's only once/hour. So if you want to stay in the U District after work, or hang out somewhere before going home, you'll have to keep in mind that the transit thins out after 6 or 6:30. It would be cool if you could get a unit facing the golf course at some point.

Is there air conditioning, or does the br. have a window, for a window unit? You may find that during the hot part of the summer (about 6 weeks), cooling would be really helpful.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
Keep hearing how nice and popular Ballard is, but damn, some of the apt complexs going up like Noble, Leva, NOBA, The Slate, Thorton and others are freaking expensive as hell. I like the idea of being able to walk down to the channels and locks but man, I sure am gonna pay a price for that. Go up farther north has resulted in cheaper rents in some places, but then i'm in suburb area's were not a lot is going on and I"m far away from enjoying the channel or a lake which one of the reasons I wanted to move to Seattle after living a place where all I had was rivers.

After experiencing the cool atmosphere and community of things going on while staying with my friends who live on Phinney near Fremont and 39th street, I might wanna be able to walk around and be able to take in Seattles culture but I don't wanna go into debt either having to live there or be in a total dump of an apt. The Solara and Exectutive estates are real promising but I dunno if much happens that far north in Olympic Hills or the Northgate area.

What to do.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area