Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Here's the best deal I could find in a quick check of Craigslist: most square footage for best price, quiet location, Ballard. Some utils paid by LL:

Reply vccfx-3946969917@hous.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-07-19, 4:15PM PDT
- $1200 / 1br - 1000ft² - cozy peaceful ballard cottage (1541 NW 58TH ST.)

+
-
Leaflet | Map data © OpenStreetMap
1541 NW 58th St at 17th Ave NW
1BR /1Ba 1000ft2 house
w/d in unit, street parking

Cozy one bedroom cottage in Peaceful Ballard Neighborhood one block from bus and bike trail, 20 min to U district or down town. Nice neighbors, responsible landlord.

1000 square feet available for showing Thursday August 1 5 to 8 pm
Gas fireplace,kitchen skylight, separate dining and living room , Washer,dryer,
fenced in yard with plants ,flowers and trees, glassed in side porch, storage shed.

Water,Sewer and Garbage paid by land lord. all other utilities paid by tenant.
6 mos. lease required, small pets negotiable with pet deposit, Credit check by landlord with full credit information provided.

$1.200 per month. covering water,sewer, and garbage paid by landlord
1541 NW 58th St at 17th Ave NW (google map) (yahoo map)

Posting ID: 3946969917 Posted: 2013-07-19, 4:15PM PDT

There are lots of cheaper places in West Seattle, but that's a long commute for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM

If you were to drive to work, you'd be assigned a parking space WAY away from campus, down in the University Village area, down the hill from campus, a long walk away. No covered parking. Much better to take the bus.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,834,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Well, holy crap the apartment finding in this town is fast, furious and stressful as hell. I've found quite a few in the $1100 range but they seem to go real fast and the other ones in the $1300 range for hte new complexes like Thornton Apartments, Clock Tower, Belay Apartments and other like them sure as for some serious cash. I've been finding information that aparently more cars get broken into in garages for apt complex vs on the outside parking areas? The reason being is no one is around to view them doing stuff in the garage vs out in the open? I found that new fact rather surprising. So what in the hell is the point of paying nearly $100 a month at some of these places if my car isn't gaurentted to be safe in a garage area? That is so beyond lame...

And sweet jesus, what is with having to pay the pro rate of the remaing of month at these apartments in Seattle? Some of these places wanted around $ 1,800 for security deposits, pet deposits, administration fee and pro rate up front at time of move in. Holy hell, we don't have stuff like that in Montana, talk about this being a real culture shock!

Padmapper.com is proving real usefull in finding apts in my budget and with anemenites I require, I plan on coming to Seattle next week at this time to hopefully find and secure something that won't put in me freaking debt, yeeeesh....

I'm finding most of these apartments in the Ballard, Greenwood, Haller Lake, Maple Leaf, Whittier Heights, Roosevelt and Northwest area of Seattle at this point
First of all AT28, Welcome to Seattle As I told you, it 's a whole different world living here than being a tourist. Indeed, you are in for a major culture shock. Even many locals are shocked by how rapidly things have changed and how they have to compete themselves against all the transplants here who are driving prices through the roof. I have talked to landlords who demanded I make over $100,000 just so I could rent a meager $1200/mo a month 2 bed, 800 sq ft apartment in West Seattle. They claim they had a pool of applicants and some with those income levels who they would pick. Thankfully , I have very good credit, which really did help me.

But, in the end, I was sick of all the craziness and outrageous expense to make my claim to fame and have the convenience of living in Seattle. Seriously, the 20-30 min commute you will have every day from Federal Way or some of the outer suburbs will be worth it when you consider the kind of dump you will rent in Seattle for the same money.

I was in your position when I first came to Seattle and wanted to live within the city. However, I got a smoking good deal on a duplex with a garage, yard, Mt Rainier view that is only 30 min commute to city and I am happy with it. Seriously, consider living out in the burbs. More and more people are flocking out of Seattle and moving to the South Sound suburbs, because it makes sense. Seattle , Bellevue , Kirkland, Issaquah and Redmond are really becoming elitists towns that cater to the more affluent. Even the once grimey, blue collar Ballard, where I am right now as I am typing this, seems to be majorly yuppified and is full of high end stores and expensive condos.

Do what I do, live a little way out of Seattle, bring your mobile office (via your backpack/briefcase) with you and hang out in the city during the day, then drive back home at night. This is just what I would do and what I did being in the same position as you, looking for a place from long distance, which is very hard and expensive in, itself.

Don't buy into all the fear mongers who claim Federal Way or the outer suburbs are bad, these people don't know what they are talking about. There is lot of nice places in the area , especially with your budget. You could even find a place near the Puget Sound and maybe get a view.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM

ugh. Do NOT consider living on the Eastside (Bellevue, etc.) and commuting in! The bridges across the lake get HORRIFIC traffic! Plus, sometimes during storms, they're out of commission altogether!

If you have trouble getting a place close to the U, consider the Northgate area, or West Seattle. I noticed there was a lot more selection in those areas in your price range, a number of listings for a 1-br. for around $950.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,834,364 times
Shoreline or the South Sound, possibly even Renton, could be decent options. I just went over the bridge from Bellevue to Seattle today. It is quicker for me to get to downtown Seattle in rush hour to and from Federal Way than it is to and from Bellevue. That bridge is plain nasty and the Eastside has a lot of traffic.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
There is a current listing on Craigslist for a 1 bdr MIL apt with a view of Portage Bay for $1200, utilities included. Indoor cats allowed, but on-sreet parking which was on your 'no' list. Maybe you've started to rethink that after learning garages are actually less secure than open parking? Montlake is a very nice residential area within walking distance to the UW, with quick access to busier parts of town. Take a look: Portage Bay view 1 bedroom MIL

I live in the Central District which is maybe busier than you want but there are lots of quiet streets and reasonable prices here and it is a straight shot to the UW down 23rd on the 48 bus. Check out posts bt ctr88 who was looking for a place in the last year on a tight budget as well. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM

I second Montlake--great area! You could walk to the UW, depending on your location in Montlake.

The Central District--not so much.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,790 times
Haven't found anything in my price range or that will take cats in montlake area. I wanna avoid living on east side if at all possible, the bridges bring up a whole nother variable i'd rather not deal with being a new citizen to the Emerald City

Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Honestly... Check out Lake City. Out of all Seattle neighborhoods, this particular one is less likely to deny the animals. People with dogs always seem to have great luck here. So I don't think cats will be that much different. Plus it's easier to get to UW from the north locations. Don't even bother looking south like Federal Way, or down thereabouts. Traffic is bad enough.

I should add: Its a rare occasion that the bridges be out of commissions; overnights they will close 520 for maintenance and such, but there's plenty of warning. The Eastside isn't so bad at all, but you can always give that a chance later on.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,293 times
Actually - coming from a less populated part of the country myself, it was good to start off on the Eastside. It's a much better place for someone who can't comprehend life where a car doesn't play a big role. It's easier to get around there (much more of a grid and less confusing that Seattle's weird grid/topography mix), the parking spots are large (and free) and darn near every place there comes with parking and washer/dryer. Traffic is also easier - not great mind you, but easier than much of Seattle. Yes, the bridges get congested, but if you take the bus, you get to use the HOV lanes. So, if you live close to a park 'n ride, you can still take the bus into UW, which also means you don't pay the toll.

And the 520 bridge has been closed due to storms maaaybe 3 times in the 12 years I've lived here. I drive across it every day, and that's not even been a factor. If the weather's that bad, that'll be the least of your worries.

While it wouldn't be my first choice in your shoes, it's also not that bad, and even has it's strengths - you'd be a lot more likely to find your apartment criteria there (utilities, pets, parking, quiet, generally more square footage, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area