Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM

414 posts, read 537,913 times

Advertisements

Will it keep gaining population? What about jobs and economy in general? Will it stay strong? Will the COL rise dramatically to the point of slowing the growth and pricing many locals out? Will there be more nightlife, restaurants, diversity? Will NBA and NHL come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM

110 posts, read 202,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
Will it keep gaining population? What about jobs and economy in general? Will it stay strong? Will the COL rise dramatically to the point of slowing the growth and pricing many locals out? Will there be more nightlife, restaurants, diversity? Will NBA and NHL come?
I suspect it will become more like Vancouver BC, but with a more tech and engineering focused economy. COL will likely increase to nearly the levels of the SF BayArea. The further development of rail will further increase Seattle's desirability and thus COL. I also forsee many more condos all over the city. It will be interesting to see how much Seattle will change in 10 years. Vancouver's high COL hasn't stopped then population growth, and I doubt it will in Seattle. I also suspect more Chinese will flock here.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Reaching sf col might be a stretch

Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Better public transportation, more diversity, larger population, more expensive.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Reaching sf col might be a stretch
Yeah, the Bay Area COL will keep rising aswell so I doubt Seattle will make it there in just 10 years....

Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Yeah, the Bay Area COL will keep rising aswell so I doubt Seattle will make it there in just 10 years....
yea, its not like other cities are getting cheaper or staying the same, u read some of these ignorant posts here and one might think seattle is the most expensive city in the country only slightly below nyc and sf

Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I think it will continue to gain population. Seattle has traditionally been a boom and bust economy, and there are scenarios where it could decline economically. But it's booming right now. I think it'll stay strong for at least the next few years. If Boeing ultimately decides to move a lot more manufacturing to South Carolina, that would have an impact here. Boeing still employs a ton of people locally, they don't all work for Microsoft or Amazon.
The cost of living hasn't driven locals out of the Seattle area, but for working class and middle class folks, it's driven them out of neighborhoods/ areas they could formerly afford to live in, and this has been going on for a while. Capitol Hill used to be a cheap place to live, no longer. Fremont used to be a cheap place to live, longer. Ballard used to be cheap, no longer. The people who used to live there didn't all either move out of the Seattle area or die. Some went to the less expensive Seattle suburbs...Bothell, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Renton, Kent, Maple Valley, etc.
There will be more nightlife, restaurants, and diversity. The NBA will definitely come. The Sonics were a very successful franchise until owner Howard Schultz drove them into the ground. Just because you can successfully own a coffee company doesn't mean you'll be a good NBA owner. Hockey I'd love to see. Less sure than having an NBA team back, but there's a ton of money in the Seattle area. The Sounders soccer team draws twice as many fans as the Mariners baseball team, but that's only because the Mariners stink.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think it will continue to gain population. Seattle has traditionally been a boom and bust economy, and there are scenarios where it could decline economically. But it's booming right now. I think it'll stay strong for at least the next few years. If Boeing ultimately decides to move a lot more manufacturing to South Carolina, that would have an impact here. Boeing still employs a ton of people locally, they don't all work for Microsoft or Amazon.
The cost of living hasn't driven locals out of the Seattle area, but for working class and middle class folks, it's driven them out of neighborhoods/ areas they could formerly afford to live in, and this has been going on for a while. Capitol Hill used to be a cheap place to live, no longer. Fremont used to be a cheap place to live, longer. Ballard used to be cheap, no longer. The people who used to live there didn't all either move out of the Seattle area or die. Some went to the less expensive Seattle suburbs...Bothell, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Renton, Kent, Maple Valley, etc.
There will be more nightlife, restaurants, and diversity. The NBA will definitely come. The Sonics were a very successful franchise until owner Howard Schultz drove them into the ground. Just because you can successfully own a coffee company doesn't mean you'll be a good NBA owner. Hockey I'd love to see. Less sure than having an NBA team back, but there's a ton of money in the Seattle area. The Sounders soccer team draws twice as many fans as the Mariners baseball team, but that's only because the Mariners stink.
but suburbs will rise in COL too? in nyc, for example, even the far out burbs are not really cheaper than the outer boroughs

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
but suburbs will rise in COL too? in nyc, for example, even the far out burbs are not really cheaper than the outer boroughs
In Seattle, the only neighborhoods that are really cheaper within the city limits are either pretty far from downtown, or pretty run down with a reputation for high crime. The older, inner ring suburbs north and south of Seattle are less expensive than within the city. I assume they'll cost more to live in as time goes on, but those are places where there are less highly paid tech people, less professionals. Within Seattle, it's almost getting to the point where if you want to live cheaply, you have to live in one of those apodments.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM

yea, seattle suburbs seem much cheaper than city proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area