Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

I've added some comments below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The problem is that "high demands for quality in food" is entirely subjective.

Zeeks Pizza is the most disgusting food I've ever encountered, and the smell of their restaurants is rancid. Yet people go crazy for that crap BECAUSE of the liquor.

This I agree with. I could never see the appeal of Zeeks. But good pizza does exist in Seattle.
Ezells Chicken is all over the place. Greasy as all hell. Yet Chick-Fil-A gets chased out by HIPSTERS simply
because the CEO contributed to an anti-gay cause.

There never was a Chick-Fil-A in Seattle, so there was never anything for the "Hipsters" to chase out.

Five Guys is ALL over the place. Expensive AND greasy as all hell. Yet Boston Market got chased out by HIPSTERS simply because...who knows.

Boston Market closed all their stores on the West Coast, and many on the east coast as well. They were popular in Seattle, and good. Bad management is not the same thing as getting chased out by "Hipsters".

Taco Time and Taco Del Mar ALL over the place, filled with HIPSTER employees who can't figure out what real sour cream is supposed to be (i.e. NOT mixed with ranch). Meanwhile, real taco shops are struggling because non-transplant people are afraid to try real Mexican food and because they want to eat "local".

There's all kinds of taquerias and taco trucks doing well in Seattle, more than ever.

Can't get a good bagel anywhere because of the "gluten free" nonsense.

Bagel Oasis are very good bagels. So's Mikie's in Redmond.

Bikini barista stands all over the damn place yet I can't get some Dunkin Donuts coffee, Yum Yum coffee, etc.

Qdoba is straight up disgusting.

Papa Murphy's is a chewy joke.

Extreme Pita - joke.

Dennys and IHOP all over the frickin place with sky high salt content.

Subway all over the frickin place with plastics in their bread yet I can't get a Submarina sandwich.

I could go on and on. Food out here is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
T
Bikini barista stands all over the damn place yet I can't get some Dunkin Donuts coffee, Yum Yum coffee, etc.
Wow, I thought I agreed with you until the comment about Dunkin Donuts and Yum Yum Coffee!!!

Give it up!! The east coast sucks. Always did, always will. That's why your here and not there!!!

Look when we immigrated to this country THEY made us live five years back east. THEY wanted to make sure that we were immirgrating to America for the values.....not the gold in the streets.

Thank god, my parents were tough enough to take it and hung in there until they could get the hell out of west!!

Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I've added some comments below.
Quote:
But good pizza does exist in Seattle.
Where? I haven't found it yet. Pizza Hut is disgusting, Papa Murphys is disgusting, Dominhoes is disgusting, Little Sleazers is "tolerable" but when they stopped doing garlic butter on any crust they lost points, and again, Zeeks is horrible.

Godfather's Pizza and New York Giant Pizza were the only two that seemed to get it right, Z-Pizza a close third, Oscars a close fourth. But they're all California shops.

Quote:
here never was a Chick-Fil-A in Seattle, so there was never anything for the "Hipsters" to chase out.
I'm referring to the greater metro, not just the city proper. It's well known that the city proper hates any franchises. Chick-Fil-A used to be in Western Washington University prior to 2010 - and you can't tell me that story isn't the poster child for "HIPSTERS chased them out".

Associated Students • AS Review • Chick-Fil-A's arrival sparks controversy

A Facebook page of a few hundred hipsters protesting against a place because of the CEO's contribution. NOT based on their food. NOT based on their prices. NOT based on their location. NOT based on their employment of people and added jobs in the area (which desperately needs some type of commerce to this day, does Bellingham). Despite them allowing their employees to practice religion on Sunday without forcing them to work. All because of a CEO's contribution choice which has nothing to do with the quality of the food. The same thing happens with moving companes, construction workers, etc. out here; that crap doesn't happen in Southern California, people have much tougher skin.

I read stories about people up in arms because of some slur, totally ignoring the quality work of the company and unable to ignore the ignorance of a few people.

It's stories like this that make me proud Chick-Fil-A is refusing to be bullied and finally fighting to come back - not just to Seattle proper, but also other places such as Auburn and Tacoma.

Quote:
Boston Market closed all their stores on the West Coast, and many on the east coast as well. They were popular in Seattle, and good. Bad management is not the same thing as getting chased out by "Hipsters".
Boston Market is still quite alive and well in San Diego. They have four locations, but they only need four, because they picked the highest populated areas. There used to be more and they downsized, just like Albertons and Starbucks did. At last count they still have over 2,000 stores. That's an average of 40 stores per state (though some states obviously have none, or less than 40).

Now, maybe the franchisees specific to the Seattle metro were incompetent; that I don't know. The idea of "rapid overexpansion" was discussed, but I find it mighty funny that the nasty Taco Time can do the exact same thing and get away with it, yet sit empty the majority of every day. The only explanation is that HIPSTERS just hate on something that's a major franchise, with no real reasoning behind it (i.e. "we want local businesses!!"). Yet Carousel Café and Country Café in Bothell got muscled out too. Makes no sense.

Quote:
There's all kinds of taquerias and taco trucks doing well in Seattle, more than ever.
I said taco SHOP. As in, tacky yellow/red/green paint, dirty looking, salsa and red/green sauce bar, free hot carrots, Mexican music playing, Mexican soccer on a tiny flat screen, 24-hour drive through, etc. "Taco Del Mar" doesn't count. Taqueria El Rinconsito is "close" but even they look at you strange if you ask for a crispy taco. Acá Las Tortas in Bothell has some disgusting fillings and no concept of a real taco. I haven't yet had a chance to try the various ones in the south, but after I finish my Auburn move, that's on my list.

The ONLY real taco shop I've found anywhere on the West side is Ralibertos up in Everett. THAT is a taco shop and even it can't really compare to San Diego mexican food. There's another small shop in Algona that I just found, it's about a 6/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wow, I thought I agreed with you until the comment about Dunkin Donuts and Yum Yum Coffee!!!

Give it up!! The east coast sucks. Always did, always will. That's why your here and not there!!!
Dunkin Donuts is nationwide. Yum Yum USED to be nationwide until they backed off. But my point is, I like variety, not being forced to go to bikini barista stands, Java Jahn, Starbucks, or Tullys. That's it. That's not choice and it's certainly not cost effective.

Dunkin Donuts won awards constantly for having some of the best coffee at the best price.

Yum Yum was a staple back in the 90's in California in particular. I believe they got chased out by Krispy Kreme - which I find to be "meh" besides the regular glazed donuts. People went nuts over that garbage, then the "newness" died down and even they got shunted out. Krispy Kreme is what I would call an "east coast" thing.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Where? I haven't found it yet. Pizza Hut is disgusting, Papa Murphys is disgusting, Dominhoes is disgusting, Little Sleazers is "tolerable" but when they stopped doing garlic butter on any crust they lost points, and again, Zeeks is horrible.

Godfather's Pizza and New York Giant Pizza were the only two that seemed to get it right, Z-Pizza a close third, Oscars a close fourth. But they're all California shops.

I'm referring to the greater metro, not just the city proper. It's well known that the city proper hates any franchises. Chick-Fil-A used to be in Western Washington University prior to 2010 - and you can't tell me that story isn't the poster child for "HIPSTERS chased them out".

Associated Students • AS Review • Chick-Fil-A's arrival sparks controversy

A Facebook page of a few hundred hipsters protesting against a place because of the CEO's contribution. NOT based on their food. NOT based on their prices. NOT based on their location. NOT based on their employment of people and added jobs in the area (which desperately needs some type of commerce to this day, does Bellingham). Despite them allowing their employees to practice religion on Sunday without forcing them to work. All because of a CEO's contribution choice which has nothing to do with the quality of the food. The same thing happens with moving companes, construction workers, etc. out here; that crap doesn't happen in Southern California, people have much tougher skin.

I read stories about people up in arms because of some slur, totally ignoring the quality work of the company and unable to ignore the ignorance of a few people.

It's stories like this that make me proud Chick-Fil-A is refusing to be bullied and finally fighting to come back - not just to Seattle proper, but also other places such as Auburn and Tacoma.

Boston Market is still quite alive and well in San Diego. They have four locations, but they only need four, because they picked the highest populated areas. There used to be more and they downsized, just like Albertons and Starbucks did. At last count they still have over 2,000 stores. That's an average of 40 stores per state (though some states obviously have none, or less than 40).

Now, maybe the franchisees specific to the Seattle metro were incompetent; that I don't know. The idea of "rapid overexpansion" was discussed, but I find it mighty funny that the nasty Taco Time can do the exact same thing and get away with it, yet sit empty the majority of every day. The only explanation is that HIPSTERS just hate on something that's a major franchise, with no real reasoning behind it (i.e. "we want local businesses!!"). Yet Carousel Café and Country Café in Bothell got muscled out too. Makes no sense.

I said taco SHOP. As in, tacky yellow/red/green paint, dirty looking, salsa and red/green sauce bar, free hot carrots, Mexican music playing, Mexican soccer on a tiny flat screen, 24-hour drive through, etc. "Taco Del Mar" doesn't count. Taqueria El Rinconsito is "close" but even they look at you strange if you ask for a crispy taco. Acá Las Tortas in Bothell has some disgusting fillings and no concept of a real taco. I haven't yet had a chance to try the various ones in the south, but after I finish my Auburn move, that's on my list.

The ONLY real taco shop I've found anywhere on the West side is Ralibertos up in Everett. THAT is a taco shop and even it can't really compare to San Diego mexican food. There's another small shop in Algona that I just found, it's about a 6/10.

Dunkin Donuts is nationwide. Yum Yum USED to be nationwide until they backed off. But my point is, I like variety, not being forced to go to bikini barista stands, Java Jahn, Starbucks, or Tullys. That's it. That's not choice and it's certainly not cost effective.

Dunkin Donuts won awards constantly for having some of the best coffee at the best price.

Yum Yum was a staple back in the 90's in California in particular. I believe they got chased out by Krispy Kreme - which I find to be "meh" besides the regular glazed donuts. People went nuts over that garbage, then the "newness" died down and even they got shunted out. Krispy Kreme is what I would call an "east coast" thing.
I think you need to move back to southern California, you would probably be much happier there.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I think you need to move back to southern California, you would probably be much happier there.
Nope. The metro needs to stop fighting growth.

Let Google run fiber.
Let franchises do what they do.
Fix the freeways.
Let Westfield fix and develop the malls.

I think of Seattle as that obese kid wearing clothes way too small because he refuses to wear a suit to church.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM

195 posts, read 377,825 times
Quote:

Zeeks Pizza is the most disgusting food I've ever encountered, and the smell of their restaurants is rancid. Yet people go crazy for that crap BECAUSE of the liquor.

I thought we were discussing restaurants and not fast-food joints here ? Nothing you listed (good or bad) rates more than about a 2/10 on any scale...

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
I think I am reading revelated correctly, and he/she seems to be holding Seattle accountable for not having Boston Market and Chick fil-A.

Boston Market is/was essentially a buffet. Indigenous to nowhere, filling no cultural niche, providing mindless fatty sustenance. Chick fil-A has nice chicken sandwiches and is run by religious fundamentalists. Is Seattle keeping them out or are they scared of settling in Seattle? I know where my money is.

No hole-in-the-wall taco places? I suggest you visit White Center or Burien. Or the CD.

Then I read that revelated "Likes variety", and references Dunkin Donuts and Yum Yum. There are nearly 6,000 Dunkin Donuts in the United States. Viva la variety!

All kidding aside, revelated, you belong in the Midwest. The food you crave is represented in spades in, as an example, Louisville. Seattle might be a little too cutting edge, what with the local chains, aggressive flavors, and experimentation.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:

Ezells Chicken is all over the place. Greasy as all hell. Yet Chick-Fil-A gets chased out by HIPSTERS simply because the CEO contributed to an anti-gay cause.

Five Guys is ALL over the place. Expensive AND greasy as all hell. Yet Boston Market got chased out by HIPSTERS simply because...who knows.

Taco Time and Taco Del Mar ALL over the place, filled with HIPSTER employees who can't figure out what real sour cream is supposed to be (i.e. NOT mixed with ranch). Meanwhile, real taco shops are struggling because non-transplant people are afraid to try real Mexican food and because they want to eat "local".

Can't get a good bagel anywhere because of the "gluten free" nonsense.

Qdoba is straight up disgusting.

Papa Murphy's is a chewy joke.

Extreme Pita - joke.

Dennys and IHOP all over the frickin place with sky high salt content.

Subway all over the frickin place with plastics in their bread yet I can't get a Submarina sandwich.

This post is mind-boggling. It's like it was written by somebody lost in the food court at Northgate mall. A bunch of ranting about crappy national/regional chain restaurants? Seattle food "is a joke" because of... Denny's? Because of Papa Murphys? People's motivation for eating at Taco Time is to "eat local"? Did you go to Chicago and eat and Burger King and declare the food there a "joke" too?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Stupid hipsters chased out Boston Market and Chik-Fil-A? Oh man, this is why you can't have nice things...

This site is good for laughs, but not much else.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I fear this thread has gotten way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area