Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,526 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Nice to meet you! I going to be working at hospital as a nurse in downtown Seattle, while my husband is still looking for employment. Luckily, my best friend also got a job as a nurse in a hospital in Silverdale. We are likely to live together while her husband is in the FAA academy to save money since we'll all be new to the area. We are basically looking for affordable, safe places to live. I should also mention we both have 2 dogs each. We were thinking Auburn since my friends husband will be stationed there and seemed like a fair commute for the both of us to our jobs. But, we are open to suggestions. I've already heard how bad traffic can be, but I'm okay with an hour since that was my commute to my old job. Ideally I would like 40 minutes or less since I'll be working night shifts and hoping to maybe go against traffic. Any who, any advice, guidance, tips, good things to check out for some newbies in the area, I would be more than appreciative! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM

731 posts, read 936,323 times
Silverdale and Seattle are about 1 hour and 45 minutes apart - with no traffic. That is quite the living arrangement you are trying to orchestrate. Your friend will also have to cross a toll bridge (Tacoma Narrows) to get to work. Depending on when you travel, Auburn to Seattle could range from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours each way. I don't know much about Auburn, but it's large enough that parts are sketchy and parts are nice and safe. I don't even really know where to begin on suggesting a place for you to live. I live in Seattle and used to live in Bremerton and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your situation.

As far as affordable goes... The ferry is Super expensive with a car, the north end of Seattle and Seattle proper are very expensive. The south end is much more affordable, but you have to be much more conscientious about whether your are in a safe/desirable area. The Olympic Peninsula (where Silverdale is) is very affordable and most areas are safe, however, getting to Seattle is much more complicated from there. I rode the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle for 1.5 years (without a car) and spent 3-4 hours per day commuting. It was pretty miserable. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Wow, that is a tough one. You might want to look at Tacoma, which would put you as close to an equal distance as you're going to get between Auburn, Seattle, and Silverdale. Auburn to Silverdale would be a brutal commute. That's about 50 miles, which means a minimum of a one-hour commute, and that's with good traffic.

I don't know a lot about Tacoma, so hopefully some others can help you there. Everyone wants safe and affordable, of course, and while nothing is really affordable around here, the south side of Seattle is at least cheaper than the city or the north side, so that's a plus. And as for safety, you're not going to encounter anything remotely approaching the sketchy parts of the D.C. metro area (I lived in NoVa for six years). Property crimes are the thing to worry about in this area, but as long as you don't take any crazy risks, you're probably going to be fine no matter where you choose to live.

Good luck! You'll like it here. I don't miss NoVa at all.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Someone will have to pay a toll, but you might consider Gig Harbor as an affordable place to live, shorter commute to Silverdale, The Narrows bridge to I5 to 18 to get to Auburn, and to Seattle, against the traffic will be about the same as from Auburn. This arrangement of so many spread out jobs is a difficult one, no one will have an easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area