Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM

719 posts, read 987,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't believe the City Council/Office will get a Republican anytime soon,
Neither do I. And I never argued that. However, the name of every city councilor is now associated with this law. If it turns out badly, I would at least expect them to be replaced by other liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
VPunk clearly doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to Vancouver. Sales tax is @ 8.4% (State is @ 6.5, Vancouver cannot be any less). Retail and restaurant is actually popping up more in the 'couve. So what's stopping a lot of those people from going over those bridges? Simple: Traffic.

It'll work out the same here as well. It'll work itself out to some places closing, and those left standing raising their prices and losing some staff (and hiring more under the table). Those living on the edge of town so benefit with easy access to the more affordable options, but the rest will eat up the cost of their beloved urban living. I don't believe the City Council/Office will get a Republican anytime soon, Its mean, look at San Francisco, it's like here they haven't had a Republican mayor in how long? As long as traffic sucks in Seattle, Seattle Proper will be mostly fine. It's destined to be a playground for the ultra-rich anyway, this only helps hasten it.

I think those who are sitting there saying they won't tip are being absurd. Those waitresses may be earning $15/hr, but the odds are they're not getting the hours they need. And if you can't be bothered to tip, then you shouldn't eat out.
They can work a second job than I did and I made more than 15 an hour at the time. I do not feel sorry for them at all they should go look at who they voted for .

Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Another effect of this I haven't seen discussed. How might this hinder pay raises? If businesses are required to raise their minimum wage, with the costs that come along with that, how likely will it be that people who have been working at a business for a year or two be less likely to receive a raise because so much of the labor cost is going to a drastically increased minimum wage?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Another effect of this I haven't seen discussed. How might this hinder pay raises? If businesses are required to raise their minimum wage, with the costs that come along with that, how likely will it be that people who have been working at a business for a year or two be less likely to receive a raise because so much of the labor cost is going to a drastically increased minimum wage?
Well like i said a few pages back job that start out at 18-22 an hour will be nonexistent IMO. People are going to start out out at 15 an hour . Why would a business start people out at 18 to 22 an hour if they do not have to.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
They can work a second job than I did and I made more than 15 an hour at the time. I do not feel sorry for them at all they should go look at who they voted for .
Its not a matter of whether you feel pity; you're assuming that these people voted a certain way and punishing all for it. It's nothing but a political shenanigan. If you really want to make an impact, then fine, simply don't eat out in Seattle Proper, but more importantly become a part of the petition to reverse this course. Is Seattle so far gone that people just resign themselves without doing anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
My husband who used to work in the restaurant business in Seattle mentioned that 12-16 dollars an hour was average for Line cooks and that after economic meltdown (08-09) that it got harder to get a raise and a lot of places were down scaling hours. It's not just pay raises that's an issue, but also the levels of pay. It'd be almost offensive that a prep cook or a dishwasher be pay the same as a Linecook.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I would not hire anyone that did not have a college degree . That is what is going to happen I hope it does anyway. I mean why hire some lowbrow idiot When you can have someone that knows a thing or two.
Not everyone who doesn't have a college degree is a "lowbrow" idiot. There are all kinds of life circumstances that can prevent someone from going to college or finishing their degree.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM

719 posts, read 987,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbnovels View Post
Not everyone who doesn't have a college degree is a "lowbrow" idiot. There are all kinds of life circumstances that can prevent someone from going to college or finishing their degree.
Also, given how absurdly simple it has become to get a bachelor's degree (or even a master's), it's no longer a fair litmus test by which to judge an individual. Honestly, I think a strong argument could be made that the truly smart people with the best new, good ideas are staying out of the education system entirely, starting a business, and getting rich. Of course, these people -- generally speaking -- aren't competing for jobs at McDonalds, so I suppose the broader point stands.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
I agree and have to say that was an offensive comment.

Anyone that's ever done a budget for a business knows that part of that budget is labor cost. If that goes up, either revenue has to go up or some other expense has to go down to maintain the same level of profit. While a few generous employers might "donate" some of their profits to a higher minimum wage, most will continue to maintain or increase profits. That's the whole reason for having a business. Whether they increase profits or make cuts, or how they make the cuts is up to them and I guess we'll eventually find out.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
...And there are plenty of highbrow idiots out there too. Just because someone's got a PhD doesn't mean they know how to tie their shoes, or button their shirt correctly.
If I were hiring in McDonald's, I can't see how it would be to my advantage to hire someone to flip burgers if they had a degree in Philosophy or English Literature or Art History. Somebody without the degree might be more grateful to be getting 15 an hour, where the degreed employee might feel a little more entitled.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
Prices will go up for consumers. Mostly the prices for goods paid by minimum wage earners, i.e. fast food, WalMart stuff.

More illegals will be hired for cash in landscaping, construction, cleaning and ag work. The proclaimed benefits will be there, but only at a much much smaller scale. It's propaganda for an election year. Not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area