Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM

40 posts, read 142,599 times

Advertisements

I read a lot about how Seattle has one of the highest rates of childless couples in the US, and also a higher than usual number of singles... Is this just because there are so many transplants? What's your opinion? Please indicate whether you are single/in a relationship, children/no children, transplant/native in your response. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
I read a lot about how Seattle has one of the highest rates of childless couples in the US, and also a higher than usual number of singles... Is this just because there are so many transplants? What's your opinion? Please indicate whether you are single/in a relationship, children/no children, transplant/native in your response. Thanks!

Seattle has transplants, but there are clearly a lot of natives around. It's not a transplant city in the way NY, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, and DC are. So that's really not a great excuse. The reason why there is less dating is because there are so FEW transplants. Many of the people you'll encounter are already preoccupied with friends they've known since high school

Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
I'm sure, if you really wanted to know this answer, that there is some sort of official demographic information out there that breaks down all the numbers by categories .. but probably not going to find it in this forum (although maybe someone will do the legwork for you and post it).

I also think it depends on how broadly you define Seattle. Eastside, being more affluent, family-friendly and tech-focused tends to attract many transplants with children (ourselves included). I would say only about 1 or 2 out of every 10 residents I meet in my neighborhood can really be defined as "native" to WA. Another 3-4 of the 10 are probably not even native to the USA. My response would be very different if I lived in other parts of Seattle.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
I'm married and without children by choice. I was born here, but my parents moved just after and I lived in a few other US states and some other countries. I moved back in 1997 and have remained in Seattle since. My wife moved here from Houston around 2000.

Seattle attracts a lot of mobile folks from other areas, I think, and that probably translates into more singles than some other areas.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
One thing that I've noticed is that a lot of unmarried couples move here. They may register as being "single" simply because they are not married, but I have noticed that a lot of guys (and a few gals) import their unmarried partners to this area. The numbers may be a bit skewed for that reason.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Couples in Seattle tend to have children later in life, so it would follow that people stay single or as a childless couple longer than in other areas.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Belltown and Capitol Hill seem to be the area with the most singles and highest number of transplants. However, the tacky and uppity vibe of both neighborhoods, both of a different flavor, make me more or less loathe both neighborhoods. The rest of the Seattle neighborhoods feel a bit more family like, but Fremont, Queen Anne, Wallingford, Ravenna, U-District and a few others are less uppity and still seem to have a variety of people, although start becoming more family-like and less for the scenester/single crowds. I personally like Greenwood and Ravenna, which seems more family oriented, but also seems to have a fair share of singles and transplant people.

To say Seattle is more of a native inhabited city than others I think is not true at all. Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and a good chunk of its population are transplants. However, the rest of the Seattle metro area, excluding the Eastside, does have more native and longer term residents. If you move to a place like Puyallup, you will be hard pressed to make any friends, as the town has a typical Northwest cliquey atmosphere and most of the people grew up in the area.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Last time I looked 60% of Seattle residents were from other states/countries, but I doubt that has anything to do with the percentage of kids. I know a lot of couples that waited until 30+ to have kids and then 4-5 years later move to the eastside for better schools when the kids are about to start going. Single and married 20-somethings without kids seem to like living in Seattle for the nightlife.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle has transplants, but there are clearly a lot of natives around. It's not a transplant city in the way NY, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, and DC are. So that's really not a great excuse. The reason why there is less dating is because there are so FEW transplants. Many of the people you'll encounter are already preoccupied with friends they've known since high school
Some 60% of the citizens of Seattle are transplants from elsewhere.

Try again.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

415 posts, read 490,346 times
In Seattle there are more dogs than children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: