Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle Freeze: Myth or Reality?
The Seattle freeze is very real. 16 59.26%
The Seattle freeze is totally made up. 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I know what is not made up: people everywhere will have their own axes to grind, and you're no different. Sorry that you feel the whole Seattle area is just total bumpkus when it comes to things to do you like or the atmosphere. Not for everyone. I used to hate an entire area, St. Louis. But I got over it when I realized it is not worth my time hating on an entire area of several million people.

Good luck with your hate-fest. I hope you achieve what you're setting out to do ... whatever that seems to be. Raising your blood pressure, mostly, it appears.
I just read a survey question with no opinion expressed by the OP one way or the other. You are making an assumption. Why not just address the issue instead of attacking the OP right from the start? Well, at least read their opening comment again. I read it twice before replying to you just to be fair to you and certain that I did not misunderstand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 AM

462 posts, read 741,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
yes I also don't drink anymore....and that can make it tougher, the tiny amount of single women over the years I did get the chance to go out on a date with, tended to be heavy drinkers.....in my experience.
Ya, I would never date a heavy drinker, too much drama and BS. They are more inclined to cheat on you/make poor decisions.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 AM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
After living here for over a year now, I will say the Seattle Freeze is definitely real. Although, to be fair, I would encounter the same "freeze" if I moved to Portland, the Bay area or Orange County. Only difference is I would be closer to my family and friends from Clovis/Fresno. Another thing I should really point out is the fact I choose not to drink alcohol anymore (going on 5 years next month), not drinking definitely eliminates many activities where drinking alcohol is involved (going wine tasting, clubbing, bar hopping, etc.) But generally ppl you meet in those scenes are just your drinking friends, not your REAL friends I have learned.
Very true!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
yes I also don't drink anymore....and that can make it tougher, the tiny amount of single women over the years I did get the chance to go out on a date with, tended to be heavy drinkers.....in my experience.
I'm not much of a drinker myself. Yet it just so happens the last time i was in Seattle I was at an event where everyone was drinking. I never encountered so many friendly women before. They were flirting with me like crazy. You could say it's the alcohol but i never experienced anything like that in any other city, drinking or not.

I realize that was an isolated experience but it made a big impression on me. I think of Seattle as a friendly place with great women.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 PM

462 posts, read 741,937 times
Well alcohol lowers inhibitions....... so no surprise women were more flirtatious than otherwise. Take the booze away, and boom, deep freeze.....

Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times
It's real alright, but it doesn't stem from lack of interest in others. Seattleites will never go out of their way to make friends, but they will go out of their ways to be rude and backstabbing.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Some more objective data on how much 'freeze' there is in Seattle compared to other cities:
Is the 'Seattle Freeze' real? Data from this Tinder-like app for networking says yes - GeekWire

Quote:
Seattleites swipe yes (invitation to meet) once for every 10 “no’s.” Compare that to San Francisco and New York, where the yes:no ratio is 1:5.
The average San Francisco user matches with twice as many people as a Seattle user.
Seattle has 10 percent more “lurkers” than San Francisco, and 5 percent more lurkers than New York (Lurkers are people who use the app, but only swipe no on people).

Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Interesting. Most of my gf's in Seattle didn't drink at all. Neither do I. I guess you missed us.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 23,058 times
Default Some people are more victims of the "Freeze" than others

People are more "frozen" towards certain people no matter where you are. You're more friendly, open, and welcoming towards people you think are attractive, cool, what you're comfortable with, what you like, etc. You're more cold and unwelcoming towards people you think are ugly, plain, awkward, inferior, etc.

I'm not sure if Seattle has any more of the "Freeze" than anywhere else. Uncharismatic people will encounter the freeze anywhere, whether the Bay Area, Southern California, etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeIn99 View Post
People are more "frozen" towards certain people no matter where you are. You're more friendly, open, and welcoming towards people you think are attractive, cool, what you're comfortable with, what you like, etc. You're more cold and unwelcoming towards people you think are ugly, plain, awkward, inferior, etc.

I'm not sure if Seattle has any more of the "Freeze" than anywhere else. Uncharismatic people will encounter the freeze anywhere, whether the Bay Area, Southern California, etc.
This makes some sense, but it's not true in my experience (I'm from CA, and people are friendlier there toward me), nor in the experience of some of the transplants in Seattle. I've also spoken to people from the Seattle area (born, raised), who are surprised when they go to CA, at how friendly people are. It begins to dawn on them that Seattle is different, and definitely freeze-y, at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area