Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
There is plenty of "white trash" in Seattle as well. Just take a trip to Capitol Hill to see all the freaky, foul-mouthed, tatted and pierced up people who probably came and immigrated to Seattle from all the low-end parts of the country. Not to mention all the foul mouthed and aggressive people I see just hanging out on the Ave in the U-District.
It's more of a class problem, no matter the country. There's lots of that in Russia, Sweden, and other parts of Europe. In Seattle's U District, it would mostly be the homeless or kid runaways you'd hear that from. You wouldn't hear it much from the students, and not at all from the faculty or staff. Don't forget, the U District is full of University employees and students, in addition to other random street people, and shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
It's not just the South King County suburbs but a lot of Snohomish County towns and even Seattle neighborhoods like Northgate are like that too. If you go anywhere in Everett, you will see a lot of that stuff. Like, pregnant teenagers, women with bleached blonde hair and Playboy bunny tattoos on their lower back region, men with gaged ears smoking cigarettes like a chimney, etc. Disgusting. It definitely gives poor people a bad rap (sp?), but honestly I'd rather interact with people like that than snotty, passive aggressive rich folks who use their money as power. But yeah, Auburn is definitely a breeding grounds for these kinds of people due to the low income neighborhoods. Same with cities like Kent or Tacoma. They remind me of the blue collar towns I used to pass through in the Midwest and the South. And it's not just poor whites that act like that, I see a lot of trashy non-whites in those cities as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
It can be hard to get away from the rabble. I often find that if I go to where the really high class people hang out and just kind of soak in their aura that I can forget about all those dirty scumbags that inhabit the lower class enclaves. Those lowlifes struggle with finding jobs and going to school along with using language that offends my delicate ears. It's too bad we can't just kill off the lower class like we used to.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
It can be hard to get away from the rabble. I often find that if I go to where the really high class people hang out and just kind of soak in their aura that I can forget about all those dirty scumbags that inhabit the lower class enclaves. Those lowlifes struggle with finding jobs and going to school along with using language that offends my delicate ears. It's too bad we can't just kill off the lower class like we used to.
Are you freaking serious??

Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
I moved to Auburn about a year ago from CA. I live in a pretty decent area in Auburn but I just can't get over how low class people are here. Example from today: at the pool it was me and my kids along with a party of about 6 adults and their 8 small kids. The fathers were just throwing around f-bombs like it was no big deal and making jokes about anal sex. I was so ticked off but these kinds of things just seem to happen on a regular basis here. So seriously, is it just Auburn in particular or is the whole state of WA like this?? I'm moving to Bellevue soon and crossing my fingers that there will be a higher class of people there.
People talk about anal sex in Bellevue too.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Are you freaking serious??
Pretty sure the OP was being sarcastic.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Seriously, it would be a nicer world. But who will do the dirty work? I hate having to be around low-class people. Many are victims of their environment, but a lot is genetic too. It's so refreshing to go sit among high class people after a day in the gutter with the pond scum.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 PM

121 posts, read 142,674 times
There is no such thing as "high class". If you're using those words, or the word "classy" its very likely you don't have much of an education.

I will say regardless of money, and/or education I prefer to hang out with people who are considerate of other people and who either share some of my other values or perhaps an interest. The considerate thing is fundamental though.

I will say this regarding Seattle and WA state. Generally speaking I think the people here have some dismally low standards unlike anything I've seen in any other part of the country. Complacency here is high and seems to be reinforced by the social norms.

I think the folks using profanity in front of children can get away with it because no one is supposed to confront them and help them understand thats inappropriate behavior.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,393 times
I live on one of the hills in Auburn and try to avoid speaking ill of the town. I have friends here, and know several great, educated people working hard to make Auburn a better place.

I do not go to the public pool or any of the downtown area parks. In fact, I rarely have any business in the town, except for Lowe's. The Kid Savvy consignment boutique on main street is nice. We might hit up the Pick Quick. But we do most of our shopping in Sumner and Bonney Lake.

The YMCA pool is nice and family oriented, but often crowded. When the Sumner Y opens, we'll consider moving there.

Moving the south king county was a bit of a culture shock for me, and that was from south snohomish county (which is racing to catch up, or down, depending how you look at it). The first time my car was broken into, the first time I saw a drug pipe being lit by a driver in traffic (that was Federal Way). A kid in my son's jr. high got murdered.

I don't want to make it sound horrible, because no place is immune to life. We enjoy the nearby parks and the river (but try not to notice the homeless people camping on the other side). I feel blessed to have a nice home, a good job and a great family. Our quality of life is great. I appreciate that my kids will grow up knowing a diverse group of people and not feel some of the tremendous social pressures that accompany affluenza. No place is perfect, not even Bellevue. There was a shooting in a bar there too recently.

But, yeah, we've never been to the public pool.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Do you realize that Seattle has shootings in bars, crack/meth pipes laying around and loads of homeless people? DO you realize everything you wrote could also be used to describe many areas of Seattle?

I agree with you though squirrel, why on earth go to a public pool? THere is no real regulation or authority. Heck, I have seen drunk and arrogant a-holes everywhere. If there isn't anybody enforcing rules, there isn't much stopping a bunch of drunk or jerky punks from wrecking havoc in Bellevue as well.

If you want to go swimming with your kids, why not join a gym like LA Fitness that has a huge pool that I think is chlorine free and probably has a much nicer atmosphere of people. If some jerk is mouthing off you can go to the staff who will have him removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area