Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Sounds like a 'Police State'! Another reason not to move to Seattle!

It really is the way the country is going. The fourth ammendment prohibits government employees, be they law enforcement or animal control from peering in your windows or looking over your fence, whether it is to see if you are cooking meth or have unregistered animals. One of them coming to my door looking for someone else, doesn't give them the same probable cause that a neighbor complaining would, and even driving by and hearing a dog barking isn't really probable cause, since a barking dog is no indication that it is not licensed or that the dog actually lives there.

A man in Port Angeles was walking down the street with several rifles he had just stolen after burglarizing a house. People driving by called 911 about a man walking down the street with several rifles wrapped in a blanket. Police arrested him and he was charged, yet he beat the charges, since walking down the street openly with rifles or pistols for that mattter is perfectly legal in the state of Washington, as such it doesn't give the Police Probable cause to stop him without his consent.

I had a cop give me a ticket for two infractions totalling several hundred dollars, but I was able to prove that he did not have probable cause to pull me over to begin with. As a result, both of the infractions were dismissed. The fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine stated that all evidence obtained as a result of an illegal search was inadmissible.

To the hand full of you who actually understood the facts I posted in my OP, thank you for your responses. To those who clearly missed obvious details that had clearly been posted...have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 06:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
lol...sounds to me like the OP has a bad attitude and that's what caused the county employee to slap the 72 hour notice.

if you had been nice and explained to her that you have a friend visiting and it's the friend's dog and tried to show some proof of that, the county employee probably would have just left.

but by slamming the door in their face and being indignant, you just created a lot of hassle. you might win but if you have to spend money on an attorney, time away from work, time on the phone explaining things over and over again, do you really consider yourself a winner?

sorry but it's obvious that's what happened here.

and of course home owners should not be responsible for paying for licensing of pets that are short term visitors. the problem is that this is circumstantial...county person hears a dog and makes the logical assumption that there is a dog in the house, asks about licensing, you say it's not your dog and slam the door...

this is like when GW Bush asked saddam hussein to let in UN inspectors again to make sure there are no WMD and saddam was indignant saying that he didn't have any but continued to refuse and say that he doesn't have to prove anything...and we all know how that story ended...it involved a former president hiding in a hole in the ground.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
lol...sounds to me like the OP has a bad attitude and that's what caused the county employee to slap the 72 hour notice.

if you had been nice and explained to her that you have a friend visiting and it's the friend's dog and tried to show some proof of that, the county employee probably would have just left.

but by slamming the door in their face and being indignant, you just created a lot of hassle. you might win but if you have to spend money on an attorney, time away from work, time on the phone explaining things over and over again, do you really consider yourself a winner?

sorry but it's obvious that's what happened here.

and of course home owners should not be responsible for paying for licensing of pets that are short term visitors. the problem is that this is circumstantial...county person hears a dog and makes the logical assumption that there is a dog in the house, asks about licensing, you say it's not your dog and slam the door...

this is like when GW Bush asked saddam hussein to let in UN inspectors again to make sure there are no WMD and saddam was indignant saying that he didn't have any but continued to refuse and say that he doesn't have to prove anything...and we all know how that story ended...it involved a former president hiding in a hole in the ground.
Wow, you are apparently a psychic. As I stated in my original post, I did tell her nicely, she refused to believe it so I closed the door on her. I did not say I slammed the door in her face Moderator cut: see note I am not obligated to debate it with a $14 an hour door to door animal clerk.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 09-09-2014 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: debate ideas, don't attack the other poster

Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM

lol it's obvious why you're getting fined...i don't need to be psychic. you obviously have issues and those issues were displayed in full force at the door. you told her with attitude, she didn't believe you, you were not nice about it, you shut the door on her face and you overall treated her poorly. that's why you have a notice on the door and that's why you are now going to waste hours and hours trying to fight this...hilarious.

and whether the animal clerk gets $14/hr or $100/hr doesn't matter...she is the one who slammed you with a notice.

one more piece of advice to help you, if a cop pulls you over, be nice. doesn't matter if you did anything wrong or not...be nice and you might get out of it. be a jerk and you'll get what's coming to you.

you're welcome.

RVD.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Looking for the previous homeowner. I recently bought the house and told her he doesn't live here anymore. She said she was here to renew their pet license. My guests dog was barking in the background. She asked if the dog was mine and I told her it was not, I have a guest staying with me. She told me I would need to get a license for my guests dog. I simply told her I don't see how I could be required to license the dog of a short term guest, and for that matter, how the government is going door to door inspecting peoples property, then closed the door on her.

She left a notice on my door stating that I have 72 hours to comply or get a $125 ticket per pet. WTF? I am NOT going to pay to license my short term guests dog considering they don't live in King County, and I don't see how it is legal for them to come to my house looking for someone else and then fine me for this or threaten to fine me for this. Should I call and speak to a supervisor, get a lawyer, or wait until I get a ticket then fight it in court? This is bs.

You've gotta be kidding me!! I would have been irate and that dame would have known it. And, like you, I'd have closed the door.

Yes, I'd get right on the horn to her supervisor or whoever is in a position of authority at the dog license bureau. Then, I'd preface my remarks by letting him know you're speaking with him FIRST. If necessary, I'd go over his head, and I'd write a letter to the editor, too.

The government, on any level, has no business acting like the gestapo.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
You seem really hard of reading. I clearly stated in the very first few sentences in my OP that the county employee stated that she was there to renew the pet licenses for the previous owner. She did not realize they had moved. If you struggle understanding what has clearly been stated already, what good is your advice? Unbelievable...
I'm struggling to understand why you are so angry about this.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 PM

btw, OP is normally "original poster", not "original post."

...just taking you to school again Tac-Sea...

RVD.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Sounds like a 'Police State'! Another reason not to move to Seattle!
the whole US is a police country, so King County is no exception.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
"Also, I never said they saw my dog in my home."

So, you're going to make a federal case out of a $125 fine...

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You've gotta be kidding me!! I would have been irate and that dame would have known it. And, like you, I'd have closed the door.

Yes, I'd get right on the horn to her supervisor or whoever is in a position of authority at the dog license bureau. Then, I'd preface my remarks by letting him know you're speaking with him FIRST. If necessary, I'd go over his head, and I'd write a letter to the editor, too.

The government, on any level, has no business acting like the gestapo.
Amen,and I agree 100%! We ALL better get off our lazy butts and start telling the militia in this country "HELL NO,WE'RE NOT TAKING YOUR CRAP,ANYMORE"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area