Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,322 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Bellevue/Mercer Island/ Kirkland and Redmond area. My 7 years old son has moderate autism. Currently he is in self contained class room and I am not happy with the program. I need to know which elementary school has a good autism program with in those cities. And also if the school offers inclusion program or not. I have heard Mercer Island has a good program, but I don't know the specifics. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I'm not able to help you specifically (but my posting will bump your post so maybe that's helpful)-- my son has autism, but he's really high functioning and is "mainstreamed" in classes with only a 504 currently. We're in Bellevue. I have heard that Newport High in Bellevue has a fantastic autism program, but your 7yo is a number of years away from high school. I will tell you, anecdotally, that there are a number of children with autism in Bellevue schools, and I've heard some suggest it has to do with the close proximity to Microsoft

Hopefully someone with more experience can help. It might also help to know what, specifically, you're unhappy with regarding his current placement. Does he currently get specific therapy you would like to continue?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,322 times
Thank you for your reply. The district we are right now is very hard to get any service. I feel like they push in to self contained classroom before trying general education with a para. I am just tired of fighting to get every single thing. I am looking for school who is willing to include special needs kids in to the general education classroom with appropriate help.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
If you can, I would consider calling the districts in which you are interested and talking to the director of special education about how they service children with autism.

I know the requirements for "least restrictive environment" are interpreted in different ways in different schools, and of course that's how they make the decision for placement (or how they should make that decision). In some cases, if the need for support in general education is extensive (a 1:1 para at all times during academic classwork, for example), a self-contained room where the child can be successful without constant support is considered less restrictive. We moved here when my son was in 6th grade, so I don't have any experience with autism services in elementary schools.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
My 8 yo has severe adhd with autistic qualities and I'll just say that compared to where we previously lived in NY, everything is a fight. The schools here are on a shoestring for the general ed kids...getting 1:1 aides is another unfunded expense that has a very low ROI. The best you can expect outside of self contained is a LRC/gen ed combo with some support. If your child needs 1:1 all day you'll have an uphill climb making the case for full inclusion.

Fwiw, we spoke to every district you mentioned and didn't find any of them to be much different than any other. Eventually you'll need to file for due process if you want more.

On the plus side, my son is doing very well and learning far more independence with much less support now then we were accustomed to, but last year was hard for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area