Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,315 times

Advertisements

So we are moving to Seattle next summer, and really the only thing I'm concerned about is being able to find an affordable 2 bedroom suite at a hotel. We'll probably be renting it for a month, while we are adjusting to new jobs, finding an apartment, etc. But we have 2 kids and a third one will be born just before the move, so a second bedroom in a hotel is super important! And I mean second bedroom as in separate bed in a separate room, not two beds in one room. Or even a suite with a pull out couch in a separate living room would be fine.

Any tips on places to look into (and, I suppose, places to NOT look into)? Our budget is only about $900 a month for the hotel :x

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I really haven't seen anything for less than about $2,600 at an extended stay, and that's about half of what a regular hotel would cost. You can find a cheap motel on Aurora Ave/Highway 99 but there will be hookers, drug deals and probably bugs. Try renting a private condo from VRBO or maybe a Motel 6 or Super 8 outside of Seattle, in a less expensive area such as Lynnwood, Everett, or Federal Way. I would still expect to pay about $1,600.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,022 times
You should look at living in Tacoma. The vast majority of King County will be too expensive (by at least $200/mo, if not more).

Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 119,287 times
You should also look on airbnb.com, sometimes they do short-term rentals, or rent out extra rooms, but it might be tricky finding someone who's willing to take in 5 people. I just know my friends (2 adults) used airbnb to rent a room in San Francisco for a month or two while they were searching for their own housing. You could also look for short-term subleases, but those are probably also going to be out of your budget in Seattle proper.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
(Chuckle): I'm Bad Cop again.

Arriving with three kids, including a newborn, and resources not inline with reality of Seattle costs appears rather counter-intuitive. The phrase "Full Stop!" comes to mind. I wouldn't move a family like that a block down the street without a realistic budget and lots of planning.

Where are these unfortunates arriving from, collectively? Indianapolis IN, Mobile AL, Lewiston-Auburn ME, other depressed place? Seldom is a logical context provided, at least initially, to help frame useful answers. Over and over and over...makes me wonder what is happening outside the comfortable cocoon of Seattle. "Nothing good" may be the answer.

If there are alleged new jobs in Seattle, seems to me someone should probably go on a scouting mission a month or so prior, to secure temporary housing (short term rental) preceded by a pretty thorough investigation of costs. If we indeed have one of the hottest rental markets in the U.S...and it does seem that way...the above will certainly be a challenge. As-mentioned in another thread, the wife in a soon-to-be divorced pair I know was looking at more than $3K/month for month-to-month, much less for a longer lease, but still over $2K. That's in a decent place, however (Eastside).

I suspect, unfortunately, $900/month won't secure anything outside of the worst rat hole on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma, places the cops bust out periodically and eventually close down. Hey, it's an option however!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM

314 posts, read 460,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(Chuckle):.

Where are these unfortunates arriving from, collectively? Indianapolis IN, Mobile AL, Lewiston-Auburn ME, other depressed place? Seldom is a logical context provided, at least initially, to help frame useful answers. Over and over and over...makes me wonder what is happening outside the comfortable cocoon of Seattle. "Nothing good" may be the answer.
Nail meet head - outside a few lucky areas - the big InfoTech and Biotech centers (Seattle, SF, Boston, etc.) and finance/trade centers (like LA, NYC, Chicago) and a few other areas like DC (Fed govt) and cities in Texas benefitting from the energy boom - the vast majority of the U.S. is doing craptastic. And has been for decades, just in varying levels of craptastic - from horrifically craptastic during recessions and ordinarily craptastic during growth periods.

We get to live in a Gilded Age bubble - outside the Bubble its a 21st century Dust Bowl.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:18 PM

983 posts, read 1,056,286 times
How about renting an RV and parking it in a decent location? I'm not sure where that would be in the Seattle area, though...It's just that you might have to think creatively in your situation...

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,019 times
$900/month barely covers the utilities and expenses to maintain a 2 bedroom condo...and this is a short term rental which costs more, not less.

not possible...if it was, everyone would live there.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:38 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,376,647 times
And any extended stay hotel is going to charge extra for each of the kids...

Smarter would be to park mom and kids with relatives while dad rents a temporary room/share ($500 to $750/month) to look for a job and housing.

Or she stays behind and holds onto her job (if she has one), while he looks for a job and housing.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times
Seattle and the entire western region of WA does not have cheaper weekly hotels, even the crappy ones like in Federal Way will charge over 300 a week I believe....imo...I stayed in extended stays in Branson MO for less then 500 a month....this part of the USA is just downright expensive...imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area