Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I have a decent background in customer service and doing tech support, however I only have an associates of science degree in computer information technology. How realistic or unrealistic would it be for me to find a job with those credentials that I could live someone decently on?

I'm looking to get to Seattle(area) for something in the technical or IT field. I'm also wanting to get back into school to get a bachelors in computer science but for now with what I have, how likely is it for me to get a job I can sustain myself with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
I have known (of) a curious number of individuals working at least for MSFT without even an associates. My husband's good friend is a developer in xbox and does well enough to buy a $550k house in Ballard. He also used to work with an executive producer (also xbox) that also didn't have a degree of any sort. ... he owns a 1mm home in Queen Anne. ...

I can't tell you how realistic or unrealistic it would be for you and any generalization breaks down at the level of the individual anyway... but it is absolutely possible. Probable? No freaking clue....

Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
As the title says, I have a decent background in customer service and doing tech support, however I only have an associates of science degree in computer information technology. How realistic or unrealistic would it be for me to find a job with those credentials that I could live someone decently on?

I'm looking to get to Seattle(area) for something in the technical or IT field. I'm also wanting to get back into school to get a bachelors in computer science but for now with what I have, how likely is it for me to get a job I can sustain myself with?
Get certed in the area(s) you want to work in, and you shouldn't have a great deal of trouble anywhere that isn't otherwise employment-depressed.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Doesn't the OP live in Oregon now? If I lived in Oregon and wanted to move to Seattle, I would rent a mail box address in Bellevue or Seattle, start sending resume's and drive to the interviews. You would just need to accept the cost of relocation.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Doesn't the OP live in Oregon now? If I lived in Oregon and wanted to move to Seattle, I would rent a mail box address in Bellevue or Seattle, start sending resume's and drive to the interviews. You would just need to accept the cost of relocation.
I do live in Oregon, and have made a few trips to Seattle and area for interviews, so far no luck, I think the biggest thing is my Oregon address, is it smart to say many jobs look for people already located in the area? I do have place lined up and could use that address for when I apply for jobs. Just keeping it real for now though, but I'll give that a try to see if that would help my odds increase.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I think when all other factors are equal, the local guy would likely get it. If you have skills that are not available locally, then of course they would select you. Since that's not the case, being local will likely help and getting additional certifications would too.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:54 PM

I have been looking into getting Cisco certified, would that be a good market? being Seattle I would think so.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Of all of IT, developers and IT security will have an easier time of getting employment with an AA or without a degree.

That is largely a function of how competitive the jobs are. Good developers and IT sec can name their price, as long as you have the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: