Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times

Advertisements

I'm consistently amazed at the number of threads focused on the Western Washington climate - or, more specifically, weather.

The climate here is 'moderate' by any definition. Yes, the days are short this far north in the winter. Yes, it's damp and gray in the fall and winter.

But when people ask questions about the winter weather here and the responses are all about what it's been like THIS winter, it raises my hackles.

This is a La Nina winter... the first we've had since 98-99. That year, Mt Baker set the all time snowfall record for a single season, and it was by far the wettest I can ever remember in the Puget Sound - and I'm a lifer here.

This winter is setting up nearly identically, due to the same oceanographic oddity. So yes, this is a tough winter. But if you're looking to move/visit/whatever to the Seattle area and are scared away by newcomers decrying this winter, take it with a grain of salt.

2 winters ago, it was so ridiculously dry that some friends and I set up a weekly golf game when it became apparent that there was no ski season in the offing. We canceled exactly once from December-April, and I played with some folks who quit the second there is a sprinkle. It did not cause me to tell prospective newcomers that "the winters here are totally dry... it won't bother you a bit". It was an anomaly.

This HAS been a tough winter, no doubt. It is NOT typical. We've had much more rain and much more cold than usual - as predicted by the La Nina phenomenon.

Look on the bright side - the skiing has been off-the-charts, the salmon will be stoked come springtime, and you'll be able to wash your car this summer!

Anyway, carry on with your gripes & concerns... just wanted to add 40 years of perspective to the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM

77 posts, read 368,736 times
I agree except for the part about this being a "hard winter". What's that about?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
This isn't true. 2 winters ago was my first winter here...this is my third. 2 winters ago we had that close to 30 consecutive day stretch of rain that briefly cleared on Superbowl Sunday. Last year with all the heavy rain and snowfall and damage at Rainer and this year with the floods......it's crappy here EVERY winter. And it isn't just transplants bemoaning the winter. Home grown locals do too! You either like it or you don't plain and simple. And it isn't mid cloud blah blah that I keep reading. Go look out your window right now if you're anywhere in the sound area. Low hanging blanket of gloom. It is what it is and you either like it or you don't.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 PM

121 posts, read 535,866 times
I only have 34 years of experience to speak from....but other than it seeming like there has been more snow than most years...this feels pretty similar to most other years....

Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Default Systems Normal...all fogged up!!

I took this near my place a couple weeks ago. North shore
of Lake Union/Shipping Canal facing South. Seems like a
normal winter to me.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 PM

And, yes, it is the middle of the day and the picture is in full color.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,427 times
SaltyD,

Thanks for your 40 year perspective and interesting La Nina info. Here's a "non-decrying" newcomer's $.02. This is our first fall & winter here, and so far the weather has been a pleasant surprise to both my husband and I. Granted, we don't have previous experience living in the PNW to compare this winter to the norm, but after reading posts in this forum for over a year before we moved last summer I was expecting winter doom & gloom for months on end, and to not see the sun for weeks at a time. No complaints here though--and we're even wimps from Florida.

We were expecting rain and cloudiness in winter, which we've had, but we were not expecting that nearly every day we'd find ourselves closing window blinds at least a few times a day to keep the "non-existent" sun from making too much glare on the computer screens or tv. The weather here seems to be changing constantly throughout the day & night and it sure isn't boring. There was the most beautiful (and surprising) snowfall late last night, with huge fluffy flakes--just walking our dog through the snow-covered neighborhood was an enchanting experience. It wasn't even that cold. The way the snow was coming down and covering the ground so quickly, we thought we'd wake up to several inches of accumulation--and we don't even own a snow shovel. However, by morning all the snow was gone and by 10 am today the sun was shining brightly and the sky was blue--and I was closing the blinds again!

Weather is certainly subjective, but we sure aren't complaining about the moderate climate of western WA. What a beautiful area!

Lynn

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefriend View Post
And, yes, it is the middle of the day and the picture is in full color.

That could "almost" pass for a B & W.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

I know! Colors are GONE sometimes in winter.

I'll see if I can find the one of our "big snowstorm 2007!!!!"

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times
"this feels pretty similar to most other years...."

Except it isn't. Snow pack is running close to 150% of normal, and we're at about the same for rainfall. Point being that it has rained harder, more often, than normal, as it usually does during a La Nina.

I do agree though - you either like it or you don't. I never knew it was an issue until I got to college and heard people complaining about it. As a native and a skier, I always looked forward to the big storms - means great skiing up in them thar hills.

Nonetheless - 3 minutes of daylight added per day (on average) from now through June. One day in March, you'll be outside at 6:30 and notice it's still light... those are indeed good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area