Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM

615 posts, read 726,183 times

Advertisements

Now I understand why so many people shell out $2500/month to live in a 500 sq ft apartment downtown near their work. Getting downtown from the outskirts is a regular chore. I can't believe I've gotten used to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Or, you know, be an early riser and get to downtown before rush hours.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Now I understand why so many people shell out $2500/month to live in a 500 sq ft apartment downtown near their work. Getting downtown from the outskirts is a regular chore. I can't believe I've gotten used to this.
We don't pay anywhere near that amount, but Mrs BATCAT and I got rid of a bunch of stuff and live a pretty minimal lifestyle so we can afford to continue living on Capitol Hill. (recently downsized to a 1bed/1 bath because rents are rising faster than our incomes) The reason is simply that we refuse to subject ourselves to a crappy commute every morning and evening. Our respective walks to work are about 10 and 20 minutes.

It's a major quality of life issue for us... it would take a lot for us to give up that proximity to work and lack of stress getting around.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
We don't pay anywhere near that amount, but Mrs BATCAT and I got rid of a bunch of stuff and live a pretty minimal lifestyle so we can afford to continue living on Capitol Hill. (recently downsized to a 1bed/1 bath because rents are rising faster than our incomes) The reason is simply that we refuse to subject ourselves to a crappy commute every morning and evening. Our respective walks to work are about 10 and 20 minutes.

It's a major quality of life issue for us... it would take a lot for us to give up that proximity to work and lack of stress getting around.
When I lived in Green Lake, my commute was less than 20 minutes each way as well. By bus.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
You're calling Laurelhurst the outskirts?

There's a reason not very many buses use Montlake Blvd. - the UWMC and parking lots near Husky Stadium make traffic miserable at rush hours. But if you swing north and west and head over to the freeway, even surface streets will get you downtown faster than an hour. Heck, the 74E from NOAA at Sand Point only takes 40 min. to downtown in the morning.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Average or worst case?

The Montlake Bridge is a big variable.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

There's a reason not very many buses use Montlake Blvd. - the UWMC and parking lots near Husky Stadium make traffic miserable at rush hours. But if you swing north and west and head over to the freeway, even surface streets will get you downtown faster than an hour. Heck, the 74E from NOAA at Sand Point only takes 40 min. to downtown in the morning.
Nearly everything built north of the ship canal that wasn't its own city at some point are really just old bedroom communities. They now seem 'urban' compared to the sprawl that stretches past Everett. As built, it was the suburban sprawl of it's time and still has a lot of those characteristics - one of which is the transportation infrastructure to reach those remote outskirt neighborhoods like Laurelhurst is completely overwhelmed. Greenlake is further north but it's between 2 major highways. Neighborhoods on the far NE and NW where the city gets 'wide' are not just inaccessible from downtown. Try going from one side (lake to sound) from the other at rush hour and it can be a 2 hour round trip.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

That's what I was thinking, lol!

Yeah, I wouldn't take Montlake. OP, are you talking about commuting on the bus, or in a car? Why not try taking the bus to downtown? It goes down Eastlake.
I used to live a lot farther out than Laurelhurst, (out past Northgate off 15th NE) and it only took me 40 minutes to get downtown on the bus.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
When I lived in Green Lake, my commute was less than 20 minutes each way as well. By bus.
Be fair to the OP and define a 20 minute each way commute ... my guess this is time spent on the bus, not time from leaving your home to being at your place of work. Just asking ...

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Be fair to the OP and define a 20 minute each way commute ... my guess this is time spent on the bus, not time from leaving your home to being at your place of work. Just asking ...
Yeah no it was 20 minutes inclusive. About 15 minutes on the 316 bus. Granted, my bus stop was just 3 stops before the I-5 entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area