Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 PM

56 posts, read 75,130 times

Advertisements

A question for you:

Since commute times are relative, dependent on traffic and types of roads taken, how would these commutes to Bellevue (specifically: Factoria, on the southern side) rank in terms of time and ease/stress of commute:

Sammamish (central) - Bellevue
Redmond (eastern) - Bellevue
Woodinville (Cottage Lake and similar areas) - Bellevue
Snoqualmie Ridge - Bellevue
North Bend - Bellevue
Duvall - Bellevue

We're trying to decide if living farther out is a viable option, if the commute time would be similar to a closer-in commute with more traffic (ie anything via 5, 405). If commuting from central Sammamish (far away from freeways) would take about as long as a commute to Duvall or North Bend, that would be good to know. Proximity is only as good as the commute, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Avoid 405 at all costs...

For a Factoria commute, the closer you are to I-90, the better.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Agree, for Factoria you should consider Bellevue, North Bend, Issaquah, Fall City, Snoqualmie, something along I-90 will be easiest.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 PM

I gathered about as much regarding I-90 (trying very hard to avoid using California 'the' here...). My husband will be working in Factoria for the time being, but I'm not sure about the long run. Consulting makes it difficult to pick a good location.

How are the non-freeways? Where are the main back-ups on other major roads?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:38 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneeliot View Post
How are the non-freeways? Where are the main back-ups on other major roads?
Since the 520 bridge is tolled, all of the feeder arterial-routes to I-90 will be clogged. The closer to, the better.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:43 AM

62 posts, read 85,830 times
Can you not afford places like Newcastle which would be a short commute?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:05 AM

15 posts, read 29,173 times
Have you considered Lakemont? It's lovely and a short commute to Factoria. Also look into the Somerset neighbourhood.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM

We could afford to live closer in, but are tired of overcrowded suburbs, and spending far too much of our income on housing. We would like to have a decidedly lower rent than we pay now, so that we have more 'fun' money left over each month (and can start saving to eventually buy a house), and can finally replace my old car.
I am a stay-at-home mom, so my husband's potentially longer commute is countered by the fact that he doesn't have to worry about groceries, cooking dinner, etc after leaving work.

Thank you for your neighborhood suggestions - I'll look into those. My main concern is finding a school that isn't a pressure-cooker. My kindergartner is already calling herself 'bad at math' because she can't do multiplication and division yet (a few of the kids in her class can).

Old 05-01-2015, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 29,173 times
Okay, alot of the kids here in kindergarten can do multiplication and division. However they don't do it in Kindergarten here. My Kindergartner can do multiplication and division because he learnt it in preschool but he is not expected to do so in school. Unless the kids compare, nobody's going to know who can multiply and divide in Kindergarten. They do however have to write sentences in Kindergarten. If you're not looking for a competitive environment then maybe going to a a school outside Bellevue, LWSD, Northshore and Issaquah would suit you better.

Maybe Maple Valley.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 PM

I'm afraid Maple Valley isn't an option my husband will consider, commute-wise. So maybe North Bend it is, just to get away from the test-score-focused schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area