Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
What are you yowling about then?
Yowling? I asked a question ....

Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Kill the thread! Kill the thread! Kill the thread!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,763 times
So if a city has white people moving to it it must be racist? Wow, what a terrible thread.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
So if a city has white people moving to it it must be racist? Wow, what a terrible thread.
Assertions, assertions, assertions.... No one said anything about Seattle being racist because it has an overly represented population of European Americans.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
People in Seattle worship black people, gays, minorities, the oppressed. I simply don't believe they are racist, despite all the so-called accusations of "coveted racism". I too use to live in Eastern Washington and even in Eugene, Oregon, where there was real racism. Hippies with tye dye shirts or even good ol boys who liberally used the n-- word or s--- word when referring to Blacks or Mexicans. Being a minority, myself, I received a view racial insults back in the day, being called the k-- word. However, some of the same guys who insulted my race ended up becoming a friend later. Although, I had a few who simply just hated me, although it was not the norm. I also notice some of these "racists" would insult black people, but then ended having a black friend or two. The racism wasn't deep rooted like you may have in the Deep, Deep South.

I laugh when I hear black people tell me Seattle people are covet racists. Many black people I have met like to place the race card and will assume you are racist for making just about any comment. It's actually pretty damn annoying. Considering I have had black people call me racial insults, for my own background, I find that they tend to be a bit racist themselves and sometimes overlook their own judgmental nature. I'm not saying there isn't any racism here and that some people are not bigots. However, I find many of black people I meet here who complain about racism, tend to talk more about racial stuff and be more racist, themselves. The topic of race , skin color , etc is almost always prevalent in many of their conversations.

In Seattle you see lot of black guys with white girls, but never white guys with black girls. Black women usually never date outside their race, because its looked down in black culture. However, the large number of mixed couples, black men with white women is so prevalent here, it alone attests to the attitudes of people in the area. It also shows, in fact, that black people are bit more racist in Seattle than the white. That is just my opinion.

All the black friends I have here are pretty open-minded, don't constantly complain about racism and bigotry. Considering I am a minority and they are a minority, we know there are racists. However, we know its pretty obvious that the bigotry experienced in Seattle is much less than in the rest of the country. Let's see a black guy walk down the street with his white girlfriend and mixed kids in small Southern town. However, in Washington, it's a pretty common sight, even in the small towns.

Your average Seattlite doesn't want trashy neighbors. This includes trailer trashy white people or black gang bangin ghetto thug types. Any middle class, respectable family of any skin color will be accepted by Seattle neighbors. Black people have a different kind of culture, especially if they come from a place like Atlanta. They may not be well received by Seattle people and they immediately assume it's because of their skin color. However, there are plenty of white people who also are not well received in Seattle and also do not feel accepted. They cannot use their skin color to justify this phenomenon. There is a phenomenon in Seattle called the "Freeze" and many people have a hard time being accepted or respected in Seattle. Many white people come to Seattle, as well, wondering why people are not friendly or accept them. They cannot immediately cry out "coveted racism". Seattle is a very quirky and socially awkward place, but I can say confidently, it is not a racist place.

I don't think Seattle and the PNW are so much racist as they are misanthropic. Indeed, most people here make a point of being anti-racist and will praise black people and other minorities above whites. White feminist PNW women especially seem to hold men of color in high regard when it comes to dating and such.

However, I do think there is somewhat of an indifference towards things like gentrification and unfettered capitalism which do hurt minorities the most. The PNW is socially liberal but fiscally and spiritually right wing.

The way I put it. A Seattleite neighbor won't care if you are gay or black, but they probably won't care if your house is on fire either.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Looks like you guys sniffed out a rather racist troll! Congrats!

I find it ironic that some of people who complain about racism are actually quite racist.. How many times have I been called racist names when I use to hang around MLK Jr neighborhood of NE Portland in the 90s.. One time I was even threatened with violence and called a "white mother f****r" by a bunch of gang banging thugs, who proceeded to chase me out of NE Portland, because I was in the "wrong hood" and had the wrong "skin color". Of course, anyone with a lot of melanin in their skin cannot be racist, only people with lighter complexions. Yeah right!
I'm really irritated in general by this "only white people can be racist" meme. Don't they realize that what they are essentially saying is that racism is OK and cool (indeed, even "revolutionary") if you aren't white?

I have to say, when I lived in Portland the people who were the least friendly and most likely to give me a hard time were the black people. I know it sounds horrible, but it's just the honest truth. I understand Portland's history of treating black people is hideous but at the same time, I never did anything to them personally.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
A Seattleite neighbor won't care if you are gay or black, but they probably won't care if your house is on fire either.

Isn't this what they call a "sweeping generalization" that they tried ta teach us in school not ta do? Seems ta me it is.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
A Seattleite neighbor won't care if you are gay or black, but they probably won't care if your house is on fire either.

Isn't this what they call a "sweeping generalization" that they tried ta teach us in school not ta do? Seems ta me it is.
Yes and a really dumb one. As if neighbors are going to ignore a burning house - it's ridiculous and half these assertions are just being provocative in order to get a reaction.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I didn't mean that quote as being entirely serious, but I do think there is a grain of truth to it. Seattleites are indeed tolerant, but IMO it's borne more out of indifference than out of love. That's all I really meant to say.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Looks like you guys sniffed out a rather racist troll! Congrats!

I find it ironic that some of people who complain about racism are actually quite racist.. How many times have I been called racist names when I use to hang around MLK Jr neighborhood of NE Portland in the 90s.. One time I was even threatened with violence and called a "white mother f****r" by a bunch of gang banging thugs, who proceeded to chase me out of NE Portland, because I was in the "wrong hood" and had the wrong "skin color". Of course, anyone with a lot of melanin in their skin cannot be racist, only people with lighter complexions. Yeah right!
1.) I don't believe your story.

2.) Given the racial hatred that people of West European descent have shown themselves capable of demonstrating and given you guys' tireless attempts to try and demonize other races, I don't think it's so hard to imagine why some people may think of racism as being a majority West European problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I'm really irritated in general by this "only white people can be racist" meme. Don't they realize that what they are essentially saying is that racism is OK and cool (indeed, even "revolutionary") if you aren't white?

I have to say, when I lived in Portland the people who were the least friendly and most likely to give me a hard time were the black people. I know it sounds horrible, but it's just the honest truth. I understand Portland's history of treating black people is hideous but at the same time, I never did anything to them personally.
Can someone please come bring me the world's smallest violin?

When have European American rights ever been violated on a systematic grand scale? When have people who are West European descent in America had to fight to be treated like human beings? What history do European Americans have of oppression and being mistreated by the country's majority population for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

That's why some people have such a hard time seeing you guys as victims, because most of the time you're the ones going out of your way to persecute people who are just trying to be left alone and live their lives... It's part, or perhaps all of the reason, I have problems myself feeling bad for European Americans, whether I'm watching the news, Forensic Files, COPS, or whatever, I just can't bring myself to feel bad for them, no matter the misfortune they happen to come across, I just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area