Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 PM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
My Oh My ....

SF
Why did you post the same post as a week ago? And don't you live in...Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 PM

692 posts, read 3,144,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why did you post the same post as a week ago? And don't you live in...Boise?
I posted this here because the other thread I posted on is basically dead. I feel my message is too important to just let it die, and also did not want to start a whole new thread for this issue.

I am a Native of Seattle Washington except for and until I moved to Lacey and then to Sequim Washington where I currently reside. I spent 3 months in Boise to see if I liked it enough to move there. I kept my residence in Sequim in case I did not like it which I didn't.
I still own property in Seattle and could go back if I want to.
With the current Earthquake situation becoming more dicey as new information comes out I am now looking at the Spokane area as a possible move. That is a totally different climate as is Boise but I think I could live with it.
As for Seattle I have lived thru every earthquake from 1936/37 thru 2000 and when in Lacey we endured the Nisqually quake @ 6.8.
Many of my native Seattle friends claim they can handle earthquakes without fear. I would like to ask them that question after a 9.0 - 9.2 Mega Quake .... That is if they survive.

SF

Last edited by silverfox; 08-17-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I posted this here because the other thread I posted on is basically dead. I feel my message is too important to just let it die, and also did not want to start a whole new thread for this issue.

I am a Native of Seattle Washington except for and until I moved to Lacey and then to Sequim Washington where I currently reside. I spent 3 months in Boise to see if I liked it enough to move there. I kept my residence in Sequim in case I did not like it which I didn't.
I still own property in Seattle and could go back if I want to.
With the current Earthquake situation becoming more dicey as new information comes out I am now looking at the Spokane area as a possible move. That is a totally different climate as is Boise but I think I could live with it.
As for Seattle I have lived thru every earthquake from 1936 thru 2000 and when in Lacey we endured the Nisqually quake @ 6.8.
Many of my native Seattle friends claim they can handle earthquakes without fear. I would like to ask them that question after a 9.0 - 9.2 Mega Quake .... That is if they survive.

SF
You should post it a few more times because your message is so different that the New Yorker article. I was here for the Nisqually quake too, not sure what your point is there - that we had one? We could have an earthquake or not. We could get a small one that restarts the clock. Spokane sounds like it would be much safer for you than Sequim. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

692 posts, read 3,144,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You should post it a few more times because your message is so different that the New Yorker article. I was here for the Nisqually quake too, not sure what your point is there - that we had one? We could have an earthquake or not. We could get a small one that restarts the clock. Spokane sounds like it would be much safer for you than Sequim. Good luck!
As far as the New York article goes I did not post to mimic it. I posted what I know from over 10 years of research and how I feel about the issue.
The Most Current Research is what matters at this time.
I have also had personal phone conversations with 2 of the Major Researchers, one in Corvalis Oregon and one at the U of Wash. Very interesting stuff.
What I have posted here are my feelings and my opinions based on my own overall research to date.
As far as making any serious decisions on this info, that's up to each individual reader.

Personally I'll go with the Hand I Hold.

As far a the Nisqually quake, I was in downtown Olympia that day and had that un-nerving experience.
Not 60 miles away in Seattle.

As far as Spokane goes, Yes it would be Much Safer there however they are not without earthquakes either.
There is a huge difference between a 4-5 Mag and the big one.

Then there's the Yellowstone issue, but it probably won't matter where you live so I am not going to worry about that one at my age.

FYI ... I am not here on Citi Data to explain every detail of my posts.
The info is there for readers to read and glean what the want from them.

And Good Luck to you in Seattle as well.

SF

Last edited by silverfox; 08-17-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:46 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,860,430 times
I think those west of Yellowstone aren't as likely to suffer immediate effects if it blows than those downwind of the prevailing winds.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times
Years ago a family left Big Bear due to it's quake ,for Florida in time for the storms there then moved to Hawaii Just in time for it's storms .
What's my point ?
STOP RUNNING AND BRINGING DESASTER WITH YOU.
LOL
No ,
Just learn to prepare and be willing to face the storm rather then be afraid of it.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:33 PM

172 posts, read 186,081 times
Arrow Earthquake coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Bring it. If I had to die in a natural disaster, I'd rather it be epic than some random ho-hum event. But then again, I'm a geo-nut!
Allright!!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,860,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Years ago a family left Big Bear due to it's quake ,for Florida in time for the storms there then moved to Hawaii Just in time for it's storms .
What's my point ?
STOP RUNNING AND BRINGING DESASTER WITH YOU.
LOL
No ,
Just learn to prepare and be willing to face the storm rather then be afraid of it.
It is not possible to 'prepare' for a catastrophic 'MEGA Quake'!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM

681 posts, read 1,047,403 times
If you find yourself on the coast or in downtown Seattle when the mega quake hits, which yes one day it will happen, may be tomorrow or a 100 years, but it will happen as the subduction zone gives in, there isn't much that is made to handle 5 minutes of a 9.0 and higher quake, what the shaking doesn't destroy the tsunamis will.

That being said, if I was to die in that event, what better and more beautiful area to go down with?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,468,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
If you find yourself on the coast or in downtown Seattle when the mega quake hits, which yes one day it will happen, may be tomorrow or a 100 years, but it will happen as the subduction zone gives in, there isn't much that is made to handle 5 minutes of a 9.0 and higher quake, what the shaking doesn't destroy the tsunamis will.

That being said, if I was to die in that event, what better and more beautiful area to go down with?
Actually tsunami waves are extremely unlikely to hit the puget sound. Also most buildings are built to withstand violentlent shaking. The tall buildings are anchored on bedrock and have counterweights in the building. Engineers are wonderful and its amazing how many none engineers can make irresponsible statements that the town will be completely wiped out. Its not like this is news to anyone who has lived in the area for a significant period of time. The buildings are built with that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area