Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,667 times

Advertisements

hello all!

my husband, myself, and our two beautiful young children are relocating to Seattle next month for my husband's work. we are originally from los angeles... yes, ew.

we are on the whole a very "normal", quiet, activity loving family, however my husband and i are both considerably tattooed. we are suburban by nature, but aesthetically speaking are more downtown.

i suppose my question to you all is this: where could a family like mine get comfortable? yes, schools are a consideration, as are things like proximity to parks, supermarkets, etc. my kids are not yet of school age so while they aren't super high on the "wants" list, i would like to start putting some roots down. we just want to live in a neighborhood where we feel accepted, where our lovely children will be able to play with other children in spite of their parents aesthetic choices, and where i may be able to make a friend or two.

my husband will be working in the queen anne area. we are looking for a 2+ bedroom single family home, ideally under $2600/mo.

having lived in la for most of my life i didn't realize how "different" i look to some people, however after spending 6 months with my family in rural england i am reminded that while tattoos have certainly become more accepted, they are still not the norm. do you guys think that there are some areas that may be better suited to us than others? any and all help is much appreciated.

all the best,

c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:10 AM

320 posts, read 513,422 times
You'll fit right in just about anywhere in Seattle. A good chunk of the tech workers are bearded, tattoo'd hipster types.

I live in Ballard and about half the people walking around the neighborhood (meaning: not on the main drag but up where all the single family homes are) are "young family age" (mid 20s-40ish) and half of those have at least a few tattoos.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Funny, I'm just back from rural England. No big deal with tats, you will for sure fit in better on the Seattle side than the eastside. You might like Fremont, Ballard too.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbellep View Post
hello all!

my husband, myself, and our two beautiful young children are relocating to Seattle next month for my husband's work. we are originally from los angeles... yes, ew.

we are on the whole a very "normal", quiet, activity loving family, however my husband and i are both considerably tattooed. we are suburban by nature, but aesthetically speaking are more downtown.

i suppose my question to you all is this: where could a family like mine get comfortable? yes, schools are a consideration, as are things like proximity to parks, supermarkets, etc. my kids are not yet of school age so while they aren't super high on the "wants" list, i would like to start putting some roots down. we just want to live in a neighborhood where we feel accepted, where our lovely children will be able to play with other children in spite of their parents aesthetic choices, and where i may be able to make a friend or two.

my husband will be working in the queen anne area. we are looking for a 2+ bedroom single family home, ideally under $2600/mo.

having lived in la for most of my life i didn't realize how "different" i look to some people, however after spending 6 months with my family in rural england i am reminded that while tattoos have certainly become more accepted, they are still not the norm. do you guys think that there are some areas that may be better suited to us than others? any and all help is much appreciated.

all the best,

c
Your tattoos are unlikely to cause you any problems in Seattle, except perhaps in the most conservative of workplaces or neighborhoods.

Given Queen Anne as a work location, if it were me, I might look at Queen Anne, Magnolia, possibly Interbay (not the most kid-filled area though), Fremont, or Wallingford. I don't see any reason one shouldn't avoid a longer commute than from those areas.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 AM

319 posts, read 346,492 times
You will fit in fine anywhere from Seattle to Tacoma and beyond. Maybe not the Eastside quite as much as it tends to be a little more conservative but honestly tattoos are practically required to live in Seattle. I don't have any but all the kool kids do.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,667 times
you guys are great, thank you!

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Tattoos and piercings are so commonplace, that I often don't even notice them when talking to someone. Lots of parents have them.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 155,450 times
I'm the outlier amongst my group of friends: women tech professionals in their early 40s, with children, and I'm the only one who doesn't have ink.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
"2+ bedroom single family home, ideally under $2600/mo."

Apartment or house? Makes a big difference in availability/cost relative to different neighborhoods.

Zillow has about 60 2+ bedroom houses in Seattle for that money or less. Add more than one bathroom, that number drops to 32. Add a yard, it drops to 11. Increase your budget to $3,000, the number almost doubles to 22. Anyway, you get the idea.

Apartments? 219 2+ bedroom apts for $2,600 or less, including in Queen Anne.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
I love anyone who can seamlessly refer to themselves as a degenerate. Truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area