Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times

Advertisements

Yes, if you want to have your own, nice 1-bdrm unit in a trendy area, you'll be forking up at least $1,800/month, and if you want to own and use a car it will be either inconvenient or expensive to do so. But this is extremely cheap compared to major cities that are business/tech hubs. Besides, if you're willing to live in some area that is "un-cool", outside of Seattle proper, such as Kirkland or Bothell, you can get a decent place for $1,100/month and be able to park on the street or pay only $80/month to park at your apartment complex. Assuming you're making the average mid-career tech salary of about $80k-$90k/yr, are maxing out your $401k and taking advantage of other tax advantages, you'll be paying less than 1/4 or 1/3 on rent and parking, and so it is easily possible to build wealth and have fun.

In summary, those that complain about the high cost of living in Seattle are trying to live outside their means. They need to either work on getting a better job or downgrade their lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM

391 posts, read 453,996 times
I dont make anything close to 80k, and Im not the only one...

Old 11-07-2015, 01:56 PM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
I dont make anything close to 80k, and Im not the only one...
With a user name like that (really? Try some meth?), I'm not surprised.
I'm all for legalizing quite a few drugs (and taxing the heck out of them), but meth isn't one of them. Meth ruins lives.

I think the OP's idea is a smart one (living within your means), but it does assume that everyone's making 80K+. Workers have to make a living wage before they can even consider living within their means.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:08 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Everything looks great on paper, but the realities of context always make it more complicated.

Let's take a high tech worker that makes $85k who max out a 401k. This person will be taxed for $67k ($85k-$18k). They'll pay approximately $12,500 in taxes leaving $54,400 or so. They pay $14,000 for rent -> balance of $40,400.

That is $3375 a month for:

heath care: insurance, deductibles, co-payments, out-of-pocket expenses.. maybe vision or dental too
transportation: car payment, maintenance, gas, registration, insurance or bike, bike maintenance, on occassion uber...
utilities: electricity, maybe gas, water/sewage, cell phone, internet, cable
food: eating in or eating out... some people do it for under $400, but not many
clothing: can be super cheap, or not...
travel: did this person move from elsewhere to get the job... maybe they want to go home for the holidays?
other: renters insurance, license renewal, student loans, personal loans, emergency fund, gym membership.

It adds up quickly.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:11 PM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
TS, I agree with your views. In Silicon Valley (where I have been working for the last few years), an average 1 bedroom apartment is now starting at $2,100 and up per month. I'm not even talking about some trendy condo but just a run-of-the-mill 1 bedroom joint. Homes in Santa Clara county is over $900k, and that doesn't get you a brand new house. No, it gets you a 30 year old fixer upper dump. The housing cost in Seattle is much much better in comparison.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:11 PM

391 posts, read 453,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
With a user name like that (really? Try some meth?), I'm not surprised.
I'm all for legalizing quite a few drugs (and taxing the heck out of them), but meth isn't one of them. Meth ruins lives.

I think the OP's idea is a smart one (living within your means), but it does assume that everyone's making 80K+. Workers have to make a living wage before they can even consider living within their means.
lol@try some meth, i wish it said that, i oughtta change it

Old 11-07-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Everything looks great on paper, but the realities of context always make it more complicated.

Let's take a high tech worker that makes $85k who max out a 401k. This person will be taxed for $67k ($85k-$18k). They'll pay approximately $12,500 in taxes leaving $54,400 or so. They pay $14,000 for rent -> balance of $40,400.

That is $3375 a month for:

heath care: insurance, deductibles, co-payments, out-of-pocket expenses.. maybe vision or dental too
transportation: car payment, maintenance, gas, registration, insurance or bike, bike maintenance, on occassion uber...
utilities: electricity, maybe gas, water/sewage, cell phone, internet, cable
food: eating in or eating out... some people do it for under $400, but not many
clothing: can be super cheap, or not...
travel: did this person move from elsewhere to get the job... maybe they want to go home for the holidays?
other: renters insurance, license renewal, student loans, personal loans, emergency fund, gym membership.

It adds up quickly.
I can tell this thread is going to turn into a discussion about personal finance in general rather than Seattle in particular, but ....
  • A person who is financially prudent enough to be contributing the max text-deductible amount to retirement is prudent enough to not have a car payment
  • Same with student loans
  • A car in Seattle is optional. It's nice to have if you can afford, but if you can't, then you can learn to live by bus routes. That'll save you a good $300-$500/month.
  • Getting adequate calories, vitamins and minerals is cheap nowadays. If you shop at Whole Foods and eat out frequently, that's an expensive option that you've chosen.
  • Gym memberships are only $30-$50/month and if you're using it most days that amounts to only around $2 per use! I have a gym membership and I'm pretty sure the gym loses money on me because I use it all the time.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
Completely false. Everyone has a choice of whether they want to live within their means. Unless you're homeless, you're choosing to pay to live under a roof.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
$3,375 x 12 = $40,500. Nice! My neighbors would like to know where they can get a job that pays that much in annual salary, let alone after taxes, and after housing expenses, and after maximizing the 401K.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:17 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I can tell this thread is going to turn into a discussion about personal finance in general rather than Seattle in particular, but ....
[LIST][*]A person who is financially prudent enough to be contributing the max text-deductible amount to retirement is prudent enough to not have a car payment[*]Same with student loans[*]A car in Seattle is optional. It's nice to have if you can afford, but if you can't, then you can learn to live by bus routes. That'll save you a good $300-$500/month.[*]Getting adequate calories, vitamins and minerals is cheap nowadays. If you shop at Whole Foods and eat out frequently, that's an expensive option that you've chosen.[*]Gym memberships are only $30-$50/month and if you're using it most days that amounts to only around $2 per use! I have a gym membership and I'm pretty sure the gym loses money on me because I use it all the time.[/LIST]
Like I said, it looks great on paper, but reality is rarely this cut and dry. I'm not going to get into this deeper because it's all been dished out before and it's always a time sink for me.

I'm not disagreeing with you really anyway. Frugal-minded people like myself think it's a great salary for a single person.... just that being frugal isn't the norm, nor is it really encouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area