Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times

Advertisements

Moved because I thought I was in another forum

Last edited by JavaPhil; 04-08-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Moved because I thought I was in another forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Old movies from Waaaaay back

I am an old film fan. Not knowledgable enough to say film buff (conjures image of watching films in the..),

My personal favorites include:

"The Maltese Falcon" Sidney Greenstreet with that phlegmy laugh, "Young man, you intrigue me." Peter Lorre as the fastidious killer. And, of course, Bogey.

"Casablanca"
"Play it, Sam! If you played it for her, you can play it for me. If she can take it, so can I!" Bogey again. And the line by Bogey, "Louis, this is the start of a beautiful friendship."

"I Married a Witch".
Frederick March and Veronica Lake.

"Harvey"
Jimmy Stewart as Ellsworth P. Dodd. The sweetest guy I ever saw played in a movie. He makes me believe that Harvey was THERE. His little, "Hmmm?", or "What's that, you say?" are perfect.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Got to go with anything with Liz Taylor or Richard Burton. Or those Tarzan & Jane.

If you only have one of those movies and have seen it a zillion times, try turning off the sound and different peeps take different parts. Did that a bunch with Bramble Bush, great when she is on her knees.

Any of those old movies with the babe with the big boobs in the white blouse that never gets a smudge on it after miles in the jungle and the one tiny frail remaining button between all the young boys and Paradise that they are sure is going to pop this time and make it their lucky day.

They do not make them like they used.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Roger that, my friend. Faye Wray never looked so good, as when Kong held her in the palm of his hand. I keep watching it to see if THIS time he will remove that wisp of a blouse, but he never does. What a loser!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Oklahoma
Street Car Named Desire
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Barefoot in The Park

There's more but I'm old and drawing a blank.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Roger that, my friend. Faye Wray never looked so good, as when Kong held her in the palm of his hand. I keep watching it to see if THIS time he will remove that wisp of a blouse, but he never does. What a loser!
There is a new King Kong out. Saw this winter in Florida. Lots of computer generated action. Lord, totally non-stop action, they even did the old button trick again.

Can't remember that much of it, was very late and a few beers handicap, but they put every trick in the book in it. Don't think the blouse did its thing in that version either.

Then there was the one about dogs left down in Antarctic made those old B movies look great.

Ice Station Zebra and Damnation Alley two good winners. Dark Crystal always good.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM

"STELLA!"

"My name is Blanche, Blanche DuBois. It means white woods."

Both Stanley and Blanche are two of my favorite tragic characters. Outstanding flick.

And Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly was a stunner.

I didn't like "Oklahoma" as much as "South Pacific", and it's been years since I saw "Barefoot in the Park".

Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM

In Cold Blood based on Truman Copote's book, sort of rare because the script is totally from the book.

The Blue Max the WWI fighter aces, must have been something to figure out to shoot that one.

Cool Hand Luke - One of my all time favorites.

Mutiny on the Bounty .... Anything with sailing ships

Young Lions - Desert warfare.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Bringing Up Baby with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant--screwball comedy

Sabrinia (original) with Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden--poignant romance

Stalag-17 with William Holden and Peter Graves---WWII mystery, brutal yet with comic touches

Philadelphia Story more Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant but also Jimmy Stewart--the perfect Hepburn vehicle, upper crust gossipy romance

Stagecoach with John Wayne--one of the first stories-within-a-story films

Shane with Alan Ladd--wonderful, heartbreaking western

It Happened One Night
--Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert- I have to watch this movie about once a year. It's got tension, romance, humor, everything

Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 PM

43 posts, read 109,850 times
My favorite old movie would have to be "Duck Soup," which has the Marx Brothers in it. Holy Smokes, it's hilerious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies