Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 4,233 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband is most likely going to take a job opportunity in South Seattle and I have a few questions for anyone who can help...

What areas should we look at for safe rentals?
Areas we should avoid?
Any sites besides CL to look for rentals?

We have a toddler so being near good preschools would be a plus.

Any info you could give us on the area would be much appreciated. We're coming from Sonoma County, California and have heard Seattle is equally as beautiful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Renton has good schools and is pretty safe.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswimmin View Post
Hi there,

My husband is most likely going to take a job opportunity in South Seattle and I have a few questions for anyone who can help...

What areas should we look at for safe rentals?
Areas we should avoid?
Any sites besides CL to look for rentals?

We have a toddler so being near good preschools would be a plus.

Any info you could give us on the area would be much appreciated. We're coming from Sonoma County, California and have heard Seattle is equally as beautiful.

Thank you!
When you say 'South Seattle' do you really mean South Seattle or south of Seattle? (I need to ask, most people who say they're 'from Seattle' are really from somewhere outside the metro area) Housing budget will dictate answers to your questions.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
When you say 'South Seattle' do you really mean South Seattle or south of Seattle? (I need to ask, most people who say they're 'from Seattle' are really from somewhere outside the metro area) Housing budget will dictate answers to your questions.

He'd be working at South Seattle community college.

Ideally, $1500 & under for a 2-3 bedroom. The lower price, the better of course.

Also, how much are utilities up there?

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:

Ideally, $1500 & under for a 2-3 bedroom. The lower price, the better of course.

Thank you!
That helps ... South Seattle Community College is located in West Seattle ... makes sense right? Others could help more with rental info, but with the current rates $1500 for a 3BR apartment might be difficult. Perhaps look in the Tukwila or Burien areas. Utilities may very well be included with an apartment. In general, utilities are reasonable - we have some of the lowest electric rates in the country and have the benefit of not needing air conditioning in the summer.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM

278 posts, read 336,168 times
Quote:

Thank you!
You should be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment in that area for $1,500 no problem.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I know someone that works at South Seattle CC and lives in Sammamish. He takes the 219 bus to downtown then the 125 to SSCC. It's total of about an hour on the bus, but he enjoys the time to spend on his tablet. For a 2BR in Sammamish it's more like the $1,600-1,800 range, so that probably doesn't fit for you, though I would consider it closer to what you are used to in Sonoma County (I went to Sonoma State for a while, in Rhonert Park). Renton and Burien are good possibilities,
but you might also find something north of SSCC before the expensive parts of West Seattle. While Alki and Admiral District are nice, the rent would be $300+ more.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
The southern end of West Seattle would be ideal. Stay west of 35th SW.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I know someone that works at South Seattle CC and lives in Sammamish. He takes the 219 bus to downtown then the 125 to SSCC. It's total of about an hour on the bus, but he enjoys the time to spend on his tablet. For a 2BR in Sammamish it's more like the $1,600-1,800 range, so that probably doesn't fit for you, though I would consider it closer to what you are used to in Sonoma County (I went to Sonoma State for a while, in Rhonert Park). Renton and Burien are good possibilities,
but you might also find something north of SSCC before the expensive parts of West Seattle. While Alki and Admiral District are nice, the rent would be $300+ more.
Right now we're in a family owned home but we were paying 1800 for a ****ty apartment. Rent around here boomed in the summer to minimum 2k for apartments, but more like 2500.

Thank you for some areas to look at! There are many more areas than in SoCo. Are homes way more expensive than apartments? We'd do another apartment but prefer a home

Old 12-29-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The southern end of West Seattle would be ideal. Stay west of 35th SW.
I have a friend in Sammish...she says West Seattle is "really rough" in areas like SeaTac...

How rough is "really rough" around there? I'm used to some crime (burgs, B&E robberies, car thefts etc) but not major scary crimes like assaults, murders, rapes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area