Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 PM

33 posts, read 31,139 times

Advertisements

Just an anecdotal observation from someone inbound to the greater Seattle area via Dallas in the next 30 days...

I have been fairly active in the online dating community over the past 3 months. Due to my upcoming relocation, I have switched my browsing activity from Dallas to Seattle.

After browsing 1000's of profiles over the few months, one observation that I have made between the two metros (besides Dallas women being much more attractive, on average), is I would say roughly 1 out of every 5 profiles I would read in Dallas would specifically exclude black men. And I am not even talking about just checking the box. They explicitly would write (often in all caps) NOT INTERESTED IN BLACK MEN or even NO BLACK GUYS. Even as a white dude, I would read this and think what poor form it was. I can't even imagine what must go thru a black man's head to read this over, and over, and over again.

I can say that after browsing Seattle profiles for the last couple of weeks, I cannot think of a single instance where black men were singled out like that. It could be, that the preferences still exist but women around Seattle are much more P.C., but nevertheless I just felt it was an interesting and noteworthy observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 11:07 AM

135 posts, read 164,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mposter View Post
Just an anecdotal observation from someone inbound to the greater Seattle area via Dallas in the next 30 days...

I have been fairly active in the online dating community over the past 3 months. Due to my upcoming relocation, I have switched my browsing activity from Dallas to Seattle.

After browsing 1000's of profiles over the few months, one observation that I have made between the two metros (besides Dallas women being much more attractive, on average), is I would say roughly 1 out of every 5 profiles I would read in Dallas would specifically exclude black men. And I am not even talking about just checking the box. They explicitly would write (often in all caps) NOT INTERESTED IN BLACK MEN or even NO BLACK GUYS. Even as a white dude, I would read this and think what poor form it was. I can't even imagine what must go thru a black man's head to read this over, and over, and over again.

I can say that after browsing Seattle profiles for the last couple of weeks, I cannot think of a single instance where black men were singled out like that. It could be, that the preferences still exist but women around Seattle are much more P.C., but nevertheless I just felt it was an interesting and noteworthy observation.

Haha. If you think it's bad for black men, it's exponentially worse for Asian men. Black men have the "cool" factor due to the pro sports and the media's glorification of them.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mposter View Post
They explicitly would write (often in all caps) NOT INTERESTED IN BLACK MEN or even NO BLACK GUYS.
Women explicitly exclude men for all manner of reasons, often in caps. Height, age, weight, job status, facial hair, location, and yes, race.

Women can be blunt in their dating profiles. But when men are equally blunt, women whine about "all the haters."

When women exclude men: Sorry, just my preference.

When men exclude women: Why all the haters?

Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance2Tech View Post
Oh boy. This is an interesting thread, and I wanted to refrain from posting but just can't resist. It's simply too juicy.

So I'm an Asian-American man who mostly dates white women. I agree with almost everything echoed in this thread, mainly that due to the U.S. media's emasculation and humiliation of Asian men that dates back to World War II, Asian men are not viewed as being attractive or sexual. Due to the media impact, Asian-American women have developed self-loathing and an obsession with white men that is borderline grotesque in its shamelessness. It's one thing to have a preference, but as another poster said, that is different from downright excluding someone based purely on his race. I mean I prefer Mexican food to Italian, but it doesn't mean that I will never eat Italian or that there aren't plenty of good Italian restaurants out there.

Hopefully, the media characterization of Asian men change as we gain more wealth and power. Progress comes in baby steps, and on an individual level, the only advice I have for my brothers is to stay focused on improving oneself: physically, financially, emotionally, socially.

As for black men, they have it super easy in this country due to amazing media coverage, dominance in sports and entertainment, and liberals bending over backwards to make them look good. A decent looking black man with a decent job and no criminal record can KILL it with white women in any major U.S. city. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I moved to Seattle from NYC a few months ago and have been stunned at how much more difficult interracial dating has been. In NYC I had no problem dating women, as the white women there tend to be far more educated and successful and thus value education, money, and accomplishments, more than race. It truly is the greatest U.S. city for single men and particularly, Asian men. However, in Seattle I have been struggling, which is surprising given the city's ultra liberal bent. My theory is that although politically liberal, Seattle people tend to be provincial and closed off to outsiders. Also, due to the prevalence of tech, the stereotype of the geeky tech Asian guy runs rampant in the city, so women are far less willing to give an Asian guy a chance.

Just my 2 cents.
Fin2Tech, I wish you'd been in Seattle when I was there. Though out of a big city like that, I have no idea how I'd have found you. Online dating wasn't a big thing back then.

As for Asian men's supposed poor image, I doubt most younger women these days have that negative image. The war is long over, generations have come and gone. If you date white women exclusively, clearly it's not that much of an issue. Why it's more difficult in Seattle may be a lot more about Seattle than about any image people may hold of Asian men. I've had several gf's in Seattle who had at one time or another, an Asian bf. These women wouldn't be interested in dating Black guys, so I disagree with your shooting-fish-in-a-barrel statement. But, whatever. YMMV, I guess.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Women explicitly exclude men for all manner of reasons, often in caps. Height, age, weight, job status, facial hair, location, and yes, race.

Women can be blunt in their dating profiles. But when men are equally blunt, women whine about "all the haters."

When women exclude men: Sorry, just my preference.

When men exclude women: Why all the haters?

Lol. Yup. When women exclude men based on height, it's totally natural, but when we exclude women based on weight, we are sexist pigs! I've seen Asian women who exclusively date white men give me crap for dating white women. The hypocrisy is utterly delicious.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,472 times
Default My experiences

So I read these post and waited to reply after visiting Seattle. I am a black male from Atlanta and I would say that I am above average looking from what black females tell me. I am looking to possibly relocate and prefer dating women of various races...particularly Asian women. So my first thought was checking out Seattle. First off I already know how white guys dominate the female asian community. Its definitely obvious in Seattle! I pretty much stayed in the downtown area and observed the socialization of couples. I really didnt see many AA people in general and majority of the interracial couples were white/asian. I did strike up a conversation with 2 Japanese ladies at a bar. There was a white guy next to us who I could tell struggling to approach them. Well after my icebreaker, he decided to join in and it was interesting to see how the attention went towards him. His tipsy obnoxious talk was very engaging to them for whatever reason and thats when I realized the worship existed. Im not hating, just stating the facts. I decided to start a plenty of fish account in seattle and I would say that I got a lot of hits in one day which consisted mostly of white women...I guess AA men do well in Seattle with white women. I guess our only hope as AA men (who want asians) is to find the small percentage who are individually minded and comfortable with who they are

Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Visual. You sound like a cool guy and pretty reflective. You just need to put yourself in settings that are conducive to your search and just be a good guy. I know a number of Asian America/African American couples in Seattle. Ask for what you want on your profile. Be sincere. Be authentic, get involved in the things you love. They will fall all over you .

The numbers are for sure in your favor. Remember, there are all kinds of people with different families and different likes within any ethnic group. There is real openness around here to any ethnic mix with couples. That, in itself, should be refreshing to you. Best wishes, man.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 PM

638 posts, read 529,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualprowess View Post
So I read these post and waited to reply after visiting Seattle. I am a black male from Atlanta and I would say that I am above average looking from what black females tell me. I am looking to possibly relocate and prefer dating women of various races...particularly Asian women. So my first thought was checking out Seattle. First off I already know how white guys dominate the female asian community. Its definitely obvious in Seattle! I pretty much stayed in the downtown area and observed the socialization of couples. I really didnt see many AA people in general and majority of the interracial couples were white/asian. I did strike up a conversation with 2 Japanese ladies at a bar. There was a white guy next to us who I could tell struggling to approach them. Well after my icebreaker, he decided to join in and it was interesting to see how the attention went towards him. His tipsy obnoxious talk was very engaging to them for whatever reason and thats when I realized the worship existed. Im not hating, just stating the facts. I decided to start a plenty of fish account in seattle and I would say that I got a lot of hits in one day which consisted mostly of white women...I guess AA men do well in Seattle with white women. I guess our only hope as AA men (who want asians) is to find the small percentage who are individually minded and comfortable with who they are
One thing about Asians is that you do also see Asian men with white women as well, particularly in long-term couples. If I think about my kids' friends, many of them are mixed race (as am I, as are my kids). There are white women with Asian men but it's not as noticeable, IMO, if you aren't looking for that stereotype.

I also think it's helpful to distinguish between new Americans and visitors from Asia, and people who grew up here, because attitudes towards stupid drunks at bars may vary based on cultural expectations. I don't know a lot of Asian American women who enjoy being fetishized but you do get college girls from all over the world who wouldn't mind a green card to get a job, you know? Very, very different expectations and behaviors and incentives there.

I mean... if we're being real about race and citizenship.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualprowess View Post

Asian women in general are obsessed with white men. Their fetish is both comical and grotesque. Much of this stems from self-loathing, daddy issues, desire for status, and the American media's decades long emasculation of Asian men. Meanwhile, the media has hypersexualized Asian women.

As a black man, you are in a VERY good spot, certainly far moreso than Asian men. You guys dominate professional sports and are disproportionately represented in pop culture. The media hypersexualizes black men, so that stereotype works to your favor. Many white women find black men exotic and are curious to "try them out." Such advantages do not exist for Asian men.

So yeah, life is great for black men. Enjoy!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I wouldn't date a black man who will only date white women. If black women aren't good enough for you, there can only be one reason and that is that you are a racist. I have no interest in dating a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area