Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:43 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times

Advertisements

If you're willing to take any job or two you can find right out of the gate... $5000 would be enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times
I'd also be content with renting a room at first, I wouldnt get an apartment until I had secured a job for sure.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM

159 posts, read 185,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If you're willing to take any job or two you can find right out of the gate... $5000 would be enough for me.
like what and where?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Bear View Post
like what and where?
Last time I stayed in Seattle I got hired to scrape paint and clean brushes for $18 hr.. First crew I walked up to pointed me in the right direction.

One of the jobs we worked on, the old guy that owned the building gave me $20 an hr to clean out/pain apts for him between tenents. I was allowed to keep anything the tenants left behind. Even the stuff i couldn't sell, someone from craigslist would come and pick it up it I used the word 'free' in the title.

I've walked up to construction/painting/landscaping crews and landed a job in a matter of a few hrs.

If you're willing to shovel sh*t, jobs are easy to find.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
I think noah is correct, in my observation on C-D Seattle. Lot of contention starts when people from Medina and Clyde Hill try and put perspective around those just starting out with shirt on their back and a car load of (stuff), and nothing more.

I was there, in that position, decades ago. Now I'm dug in here as a tech manager with homes, career, etc. Such is life.

Yes, living out of a car at some fleabag has a risk of losing everything in a break-in. Welcome to the big city, or any big city for that matter.

My view: there isn't an answer to this question. I lived on the equivalent of c. $4-5K savings for about three weeks before finding temp work, then a real job right after, waaaaay back when. Being a single guy Bedouin at the time, I was extremely low overhead (in Reno). So "can" it be done: yes. Reno was my Seattle in terms of career opportunities, given my skills at the time. I was somewhat poor but didn't know it, being used to living on the equivalent of $100/week in college, if that, for years prior. Anything more was a step up, quite the revelation when one enters the professional world. Expectations change with income and lifestyle.

But then as now, Reno isn't Seattle in terms of expenses. One isn't too expensive, the other is. I knew what I was getting into in Reno, and had a backup plan (turn around and crash with my parents) if it hadn't worked. I made sure it would, though. Still, different era in terms of getting jobs: I found professional positions fairly quickly back when letters of recommendation and sheepskin from accredited schools in hot fields was plenty.

Not sure why OP just doesn't go for it, if there is a backup of some kind (place to crash) in another city if it doesn't come together in Seattle. Sounds like hand-to-mouth living for a year or three, but there is definitely tech work here if you have the right skills and experience. Good timing, for that, these days.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
CD skews to higher incomes so as you can see most will say no (re: the $5k per month comment). Its hard to say not knowing more about your skills etc, do you get alot of calls when you apply to jobs? Do you get contacted on LinkedIn but whats the worst case, you move back in a few months if it doesn't work out. I'd take my chance in a city of 3% unemployment if it was my dream. Made a similar move to Atlanta right before the great recession and it worked out fine (had a spouse though so we both were looking for jobs and both found jobs within 6 weeks or so).

Seattle isn't exactly a top spot for call center jobs and those type of jobs may be pretty competitive, something to think about.

Also consider your costs til you get a job, will you be staying in a hotel, short term rental, renting a room, living in a car, camping... Find a room to rent maybe in say Tacoma to make your money go further as you job search.

Have you talked to recruiters or researched the market for what you do. What are you willing to do? take temp jobs? Use Linkedin to network ahead of time.
I said to have more because you can encounter a lot of expenses moving to another city. 10,000 is a safety net amount in-case something does happen like get in a car accident, and have to make an emergency expense. Plus if he does find a job soon it will give him a chance to explore and make a comfortable move instead of living paycheck to paycheck for a half a year.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
The biggest problem is that:

1. Many landlords won't rent to you if you don't have a job.

2. Many employers won't hire you, if you don't have a permanent address.

Competition for "roomshares" can be pretty intense

Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 PM

547 posts, read 506,856 times
Living out of your car seems to be the norm around here, so yes 5,000 would go a long way.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM

169 posts, read 269,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
So, is $5000 worth of savings enough to last to make my move after years of trying to move up to the Seattle area. Would that amount get me by with enough time to get a job?

I'm a 36 year old male, single, no kids, no pets, everything I own can fit in the back of my Blazer. I have an associates in computer info tech, years of tech support exp in call centers and many years of customer service exp.

Thanks!

Rick
yes, that's enough.

If you have the drive you could make anything possible with $0 in the bank.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Mmm, zero's a bit rough. But I agree about the drive. I also like the advice about the temp jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area