Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,194 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Seattle area and I'd like some info on safe areas in the city or suburbs to live. I've been doing lots of research and seeing a lot of mixed information on where to live. We have a 6 month old baby and a 17 year old. Later our 10 year old will also be moving out here. We've been living in the Eugene area of Oregon and the areas people call dangerous there are NOTHING compared to SC where we are from. We moved to get away from the crime and all that bad. My husband is working in Seattle now. I've been looking into Everett, Renton, Auburn, Federal Way, Mukilteo, Silver Lake and Seattle. Like I said I'm getting lots of mixed information. Just would like to know which areas are generally safe for a family. I take the baby out for long walks daily, so also walk friendly areas. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:23 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
It comes down to money. The more money you have the more we're likely to say "if you are worried about schools you should pick Lake Washington (Sammamish, Redmond, Bellevue), Issaquah (E Renton Highlands, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah) or NE Seattle" schools. There are more, of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that your budget matters...

Of those communities you mentioned.. you can look at Maple Valley and the Tahoma school district. Shoreline in the north burbs is supposedly good too.

I don't know about the schools listed in the communities you listed specifically. Shopping for elementary schools is one thing, but you've got a high schooler so pay more attention to that...

Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
While none of our cities have the kind of crime found in many other states, all of those you mentioned are a mixed bag. Everett, Renton, Auburn, Federal Way, Mukilteo, Silver Lake and Seattle all have areas that are better and worse, so you just need to be selective about where in them you live, both for schools and crime. I agree with flyingsaucermom, the cities she mentioned all have great schools and very little crime, if you can afford them. Their desirability is the reason for the higher rent/home prices.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
Commutes in Seattle are getting tough. I would live the closest you can afford to work.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:11 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Yeah, I'd worry about traffic and schools than crime. Closer to work with still decent schools. If working in downtown Seattle, public transit options can be key.

What's your budget? Buying or renting?

Old 09-07-2016, 12:39 AM

We will be renting. Preferably something around $2000 to $2500/mo. However, if need be we can go up to $3500. My husband is working in downtown Seattle right now and most of his work will be in Seattle for quite some time. I'd like to keep rent as reasonable as possible since we are considering also keeping our place in Oregon. My 17 year old actually only has a couple of tests to take and she graduates in a couple months. My 10 year old will be coming before the next school year of all goes well.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 AM

173 posts, read 182,134 times
First let me say, I haven't lived south of Seattle. My Dad lived on the Eastside but I was younger and didn't pay attention to things like commutes. So my extent of real living experience is limited to north of Seattle.

For commuting purposes I would look into Edmonds or Shoreline, as the most northern areas. Any further than that and the communte would be quite long. Edmonds has some great school and some hit or miss, if you pay attention to the area it will be fine. I went to Kamiak in Mukilteo then Edmonds Woodway then running start in Bellingham (moved a bit). I will say for a k-12 education Edmonds Woodway was the best school experience.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 AM

Thank you so much! I will look into that area.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:30 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Will your 17-year old be going to a local community college? That could influence where you choose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area