Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBeoulve View Post
Lovely. I've always enjoyed the company of the Asians and Indians I have met!
Indians are Asians

Hate to be the correct-all know-it-all, but I only point that out because it's somewhat of a sensitive issue for a lot of Indians in Seattle. Most that I've encountered want to be called Asian, at least in the Seattle area. It's somewhat of a countercultural hats off/nod to other Asians. You talk to Scandinavians and Russians (some of whom share Asian DNA), and they get angry if you call them Asian. But for once, there is an outlier ethnic group in Seattle who want to be Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 AM

387 posts, read 358,607 times
Indians are South Asians. There are also Central Asians, East Asians, Southeast Asians and even people from the Middle East are Asians. Originally Asians referred to people of the Near East - e.g., the Persians. This was an ancient Greek term for people from the east. In its extended use the term is almost useless as it encompasses a huge portion of the Earth with very different peoples and cultures.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Indians are Asians

Hate to be the correct-all know-it-all, but I only point that out because it's somewhat of a sensitive issue for a lot of Indians in Seattle. Most that I've encountered want to be called Asian, at least in the Seattle area. It's somewhat of a countercultural hats off/nod to other Asians. You talk to Scandinavians and Russians (some of whom share Asian DNA), and they get angry if you call them Asian. But for once, there is an outlier ethnic group in Seattle who want to be Asian.
It's interesting you say that, I've not heard that but I haven't asked anyone either. I wonder if it's a way to overcome a lack of potential acceptance? For those of us who were here before the change, the early 2000s saw a huge influx of Indians into Seattle, more than a lot of other parts of the country. It was very noticeable and some neighborhoods became noticeably populated by Indian families, which makes sense as a way for them to support each other. I don't know and maybe others can chime in but, while correct, perhaps they would rather align themselves as Asian, i.e. a demographic long accepted here.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM

387 posts, read 358,607 times
Depending on the political climate, and the individual, people from the Middle East or the Indian Subcontinent identify as Asian or as Caucasian. Technically, either can be correct since culturally and genetically they are at the crossroads of East and West.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's interesting you say that, I've not heard that but I haven't asked anyone either. I wonder if it's a way to overcome a lack of potential acceptance? For those of us who were here before the change, the early 2000s saw a huge influx of Indians into Seattle, more than a lot of other parts of the country. It was very noticeable and some neighborhoods became noticeably populated by Indian families, which makes sense as a way for them to support each other. I don't know and maybe others can chime in but, while correct, perhaps they would rather align themselves as Asian, i.e. a demographic long accepted here.
I think it's more of a political/social statement. Since Asians are seen as undesirable, different, nerdy in most parts of the country, there is a countercultural mentality in SF and Seattle that stirs in favor of them. By calling themselves Asian, an Indian-American would be acknowledging this.

Quote:
Indians are South Asians. There are also Central Asians, East Asians, Southeast Asians and even people from the Middle East are Asians. Originally Asians referred to people of the Near East - e.g., the Persians. This was an ancient Greek term for people from the east. In its extended use the term is almost useless as it encompasses a huge portion of the Earth with very different peoples and cultures.
Not denying any of that, but as far as modern day America is concerned the term is mostly used to describe East Asians. Issue is, those with descent from the Indian subcontinent still wouldn't culturally fit as a Middle Easterner, unless they are part of the Muslim minority. I'm sure some Indian-Americans in the country don't want to be associated with East Asians but the ones I've met in Seattle and Bellevue very much wore the label Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area