Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:52 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I suppose it is all hunky-dory, as long as it isn't your house or town that is being effected. That property owners aren't being compensated for this is another form of public subsidy.

How much to add a fourth runway or a second airport? LOTS.
Seatac doesn't need a fourth runway; they haven't even gone to slot allocations yet, never mind being slot controlled (of which there are only 4 airports in the US, EWR, JFK, LGA and DCA.) And Paine Field will probably have commercial traffic by the end of this year.

Oh, and have you ever lived next door to train tracks? I have.

Airports use revenue bonds for capital costs; they're paid off by user fees and charges. 21st Century rail projects, both longhaul and urban, all rely on far more public (tax) subsidy per passenger mile, forever. The Port of Seattle relies on far more tax dollars per capita than almost every port authority in the country. But that's a local political problem, not a structural one, and has much more to do with the POS's maritime ops than aviation. Here's an older article but still worth reading - Port of Seattle: The gang that can't shoot straight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
There are commercial flights out of Paine Field now.

See: https://skift.com/2015/04/09/wikilea...-in-subsidies/

I'm not arguing for Mag-Lev or high speed rail here, but think that investing in higher-speed rail (passenger and freight) makes sense.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
1/2 the cost of one new airport (billions) would do amazing things with the existing Amtrak service in terms of frequency and speed. A few new sidings at choke points, some hillside stabilization, a few overpasses, added trainsets... It would make a popular service even more so. Another five or so per day to Portland and Vancouver would significantly reduce the need for commuter flights, taking a little pressure off every city along the line.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
It's already happening (my emphasis):

Burien may sue FAA over flight pattern change | KING5.com

I suppose it is all hunky-dory, as long as it isn't your house or town that is being effected. That property owners aren't being compensated for this is another form of public subsidy.

How much to add a fourth runway or a second airport? LOTS.
Funny you mention all this. My wife brought this up at breakfast this morning. We were both talking about how we never hear planes fly over us, hardly ever. We really only hear the planes taking off to the North when the weather is "nice" (maybe one of the reasons I like overcast/rainy days???). Anyway, we noticed 3 planes flying over our house today while we were home. Coincidence or the FAA sending a message/flexing its muscles?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
^ You should hear the jets over (Capitol Hill/First Hill/BeaconHill) . Twice a day, AM takeoffs. PM landings. There is an air/temperature density issue at this elevation where sound travels very well. If you are lower just a few blocks down, you don't get the noise.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 AM

236 posts, read 289,240 times
is there enough density for a high speed train running between Seattle, Portland and San Francisco/ Silicon Valley to justify the cost? I would love to take a train to San Francisco and bypass the airport hassles. However, I'm thinking there wouldn't be enough passengers....maybe a luxury train for google and msft execs going back and forth?

Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Some incremental changes would be fine, if Amtrak can just get the average speed up from 40 to 45mph.
Schedule time from PDX to SEA is 3:50. The Point Defiance ByPass is suppose to take off 10 minutes which will be only improve speed to 41mph. Hopefully this will also make the ride smoother although we'll lose the water view

Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
is there enough density for a high speed train running between Seattle, Portland and San Francisco/ Silicon Valley to justify the cost? I would love to take a train to San Francisco and bypass the airport hassles. However, I'm thinking there wouldn't be enough passengers....maybe a luxury train for google and msft execs going back and forth?
Another way of looking at this is that merely concentrating density in urban cores of "hub-cities" drives up their real estate values, driving out both workers and middle-class families, which are then saddled with punishing commutes.

Light-rail, by itself, can fuel sprawl - it needs to be complemented by high(er)-speed heavy-rail that can leap-frog sprawl, connecting to satellite residential/job-centers that can be developed on cheaper open-land. Hubs: Bellingham, Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver, Portland, Eugene. Satellites: Mt. Vernon/Burlington, Centralia/Chehalis, Longview/Kelso, Salem/Albany, etc.

This would be more of an intrastate, than interstate, development, although a high(er)-speed/longer-distance "Cascadia" passenger/freight-rail line could be developed concurrently along the transportation-spine that would be created.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Another way of looking at this is that merely concentrating density in urban cores of "hub-cities" drives up their real estate values, driving out both workers and middle-class families, which are then saddled with punishing commutes.

Light-rail, by itself, can fuel sprawl - it needs to be complemented by high(er)-speed heavy-rail that can leap-frog sprawl, connecting to satellite residential/job-centers that can be developed on cheaper open-land. Hubs: Bellingham, Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver, Portland, Salem, Eugene. Satellites: Mt. Vernon/Burlington, Centralia/Chehalis, Longview/Kelso, Albany/Corvallis, etc.

This would be more of an intrastate, than interstate, development, although a high(er)-speed/longer-distance "Cascadia" passenger/freight-rail line could be developed concurrently along the transportation-spine that would be created.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Once enough rail infrastructure is in place, adding tons of capacity via longer trains and higher frequency is relatively cheap and easy. Of course the standards for "enough rail infrastructure" are very different at different speeds.

San Francisco would be a stretch for popular rail. I've heard that the sweet spot is 100 to 500 miles (I think that's averaging 100+ mph or some level like that), or substantially less at slower speeds. Going farther, air travel is easier including the lengthy wait during/after security etc. For shorter distances driving tend to be faster, and local transit can be an option though transfers are typically involved.

Rail doesn't have to be faster to be popular, though that obviously helps a ton. The current Portland service often sells out last I heard. If you're going from urban core to urban core the time is similar to other modes, with a schedule risk similar to dealing with traffic. You can stroll to grab a micro or sleep on the way. And when you arrive there's no car to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area