Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times

Advertisements

Not my intention to start something but here is my limited observation from my longtime and native Washington neighbors.

They see the flood of new or outside money buying homes a threat it two ways... it drives prices which they believe makes their property taxes go up and those with kids have the same fears every other parent has and that is will their kids get priced out...

The other things like traffic, congestion, development are pretty much the norm for anyplace experiencing population growth.

Some also see the politics changing and right or wrong attribute it to new comers.

I saw my taxes increase 80% one year and it was due to land value and the sale of a large parcel to a California developer for an over the top price... locals knew the wetland setbacks and other environmental constraints would not support development of subdivision and it took years and nothing was ever built... but that single sale affected all the nearby property tax wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Please list some "SoCal ways"...must learn more...

Please also explain the "PNW way"...
You move to a nice neighborhood and proceed to tear down a lovely home to build your "dream home". These homes that you build are big, of little architectural value and block others' views. With your money, you build large trophy homes when you could have settled for a smaller home with more quality fixtures and features. I was told this by a custom home builder friend of mine.

PNW way: if you don't know, I can't help you. You need to have either been born here or have adapted. From your postings, you have done neither.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times
Quote:
Please list some "SoCal ways"...must learn more...

Please also explain the "PNW way"...
they are comparable

Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
they are comparable

Do elaborate...

Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Do elaborate...
People, Drivers, Traffic are similar/comparable in these two medium-sized west coast cities.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,941,977 times
I was never a people person ( you can tell by my posts). The recent population boom and the constant get it done now, out of my way!!! feel of Seattle has made me TOTALLY hate people now. I get all my social need just from online posting. Yeah, people suck in General and this city well F it all. You amazon a holes and techies are welcome to it from now on.

I'm driving for a living for a few more months here and seeing what I see out there in Puget Sound traffic has made me or more like this. I am getting paid to sit in traffic, I have no clue how you people who don't get paid to sit in traffic endure it.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
ok ok. Look. We like it because it's NOT So Calif with its rude people, for it's maddening drivers (and unsafe ones at that) for the lack of police enforcement of laws and for the lack of physical beauty.

Its Official We Like it means we moved away from what we did not like to what we do. Beauty, warm people, courteous drivers (mostly) and police who enforce laws to keep people safe. We like it because of neighbors bring us crab they caught, for the many helpful hires who have made our property lovely for the chores we do in a community of friendlier people and for its lack of the ME ME ME so present in every nook and cranny of social behavior in San Diego.

OK?

Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
ok ok. Look. We like it because it's NOT So Calif with its rude people, for it's maddening drivers (and unsafe ones at that) for the lack of police enforcement of laws and for the lack of physical beauty.

Its Official We Like it means we moved away from what we did not like to what we do. Beauty, warm people, courteous drivers (mostly) and police who enforce laws to keep people safe. We like it because of neighbors bring us crab they caught, for the many helpful hires who have made our property lovely for the chores we do in a community of friendlier people and for its lack of the ME ME ME so present in every nook and cranny of social behavior in San Diego.

OK?
No ok, People, Drivers, Traffic are similar/comparable in these two medium-sized west coast cities.
On another less contentious note AADAD, what/where have you done/gone or is on tops of your to-do list in terms of enjoying the PNW area as it is now a great four-month season to get out there (June-September)??

Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Quote:
People, Drivers, Traffic are similar/comparable in these two medium-sized west coast cities.

That statement makes no sense, & is not an answer to my query. I asked about "SoCal ways" & "the PNW way", which were the phrases used by another poster in this thread.

So much fun to observe you & AADAD sparring in this forum, just like you did in the San Diego forum. Ah, memories...

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
No ok, People, Drivers, Traffic are similar/comparable in these two medium-sized west coast cities.
On another less contentious note AADAD, what/where have you done/gone or is on tops of your to-do list in terms of enjoying the PNW area as it is now a great four-month season to get out there (June-September)??
Bloom. Go Anywhere in the PNW. There is no lack of lovely places and people to see and meet.

Take a chance... catch some air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area