Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
100% disagree.

Matter of fact you baby boomers are holding up the system. Everyone younger is suffering big time,all the $$ are in your retirement plans. While the younger generations are left flipping bugers for min wage..

Bernie would have won. Non boomers were energized big time.

Hillary for Jail. She is a stinker rotten political crook. Total slime you boomers tried to shove down our throats.

Boomers are going down loosing power, we are sick of them hogging everything, making life miserable for younger generations.

Trump is your own doing. Both Republican and Democratic boomers just lost power. We younger generations are undoing your system. Trump is a wrench in the gears of the status quo.��
If the money is in the retirement plans doesn't that mean it was earned, saved and invested?

I'm on the cusp between Gen X and Millennial and I'm saving 65% of a combined income for an early retirement. That takes a lot of concentration. I certainly hope no younger Millennial or Gen Z (I guess that's the coined name for my children's generation) will eventually think I'm "hogging" anything and making life terrible for them. I'm simply making the choice not to spend on stuff. I'm not "hogging" away someone else's income.

That said, I take environmental concerns really seriously... a lot more than most in my age cohort and socioeconomic level. We use bikes for 90% of our outings outside the home. We buy carbon offsets from the utility company. We try to replace plant-based proteins for meats. We buy 80%+ our stuff from thrift stores.

Our generation may be lamenting about economic woes, but future generations will be blaming us for environmental degradation.

Also, I find a weird sort of dichotomy with the Boomers... maybe you know lots dripping with assets, but I know many that are not nearly prepared as they should be. My own mother would be okay if she would take on my lifestyle, but she won't. She knows she could easily outlive her money, but it's not stopping her from living it up right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Quote:
100% disagree.

Matter of fact you baby boomers are holding up the system. Everyone younger is suffering big time,all the $$ are in your retirement plans. While the younger generations are left flipping bugers for min wage..
WT HECK?

I put my own hardwon money into my retirement accounts. And there were some matching from my employers, which are part of my compensation. The money did not come from the Old Money Capitalist Czarist Rothschild fairies.

And, by the way, Hillary Clinton had huge support from the Millennials.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
100% disagree.

Bernie would have won. Non boomers were energized big time.

Hillary for Jail. She is a stinker rotten political crook. Total slime you boomers tried to shove down our throats.

Boomers are going down loosing power, we are sick of them hogging everything, making life miserable for younger generations.

Trump is your own doing. Both Republican and Democratic boomers just lost power. We younger generations are undoing your system. Trump is a wrench in the gears of the status quo.��
I have NO idea why you pegged me as a Boomer. And what does flipping burgers have to do with anything? All the $$ in a retirement plan? I wish! Every generation has struggled to get into a career track after graduating college, and some never succeeded. Some women got stuck in the secretarial pool--oh, pardon me: the "administrative assistant" pool -- for life, unless they could go back to school at some point.

This is a weird rant, TT. And btw, I wasn't for Clinton, either. But I was against Trump, who's also a crook among other things. But tell me, didn't the FBI clear Clinton of malfeasance? I didn't even follow that issue, so I'm out of the loop. And it sure as heck isn't MY system! Watch your pronouns!

P.S. Not everyone who's not into The Bern is a Boomer. Is that what tripped you up? I'd like to see someone get into the Presidency who can actually implement the Dem ideals of equitable tax structure, support for the working class, the environment, and all that good stuff, and Bern ain't it.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The thing is.. they would, at the point you're invited over for brats and beer, consider you a friend. That's often how it is.. and that's the point: There are many voters that don't get hung up on politics and ideology. Any American over the age of 18 gets the right to vote regardless if they understand, or care, about politics or not. My aunt didn't even graduate high school.. but she's a registered voter...

My point is not who you choose to be friends with or not, it's your attitude towards those that are different from you. That link "If You Still Support Trump, I Instantly Know 7 Things About You" you are

1) Stereotyping on 7 characteristics
2) Deciding who you'd call a friend based on the stereotyping of 7 characteristics, or simply on which candidate an American supports.

I go back to my first sentence: You are no better than a racist. You are no better than these people.
Did you see the Garrison Keillor piece about how Trump supporters are different from his people who make their own pasta and teach yoga? I read that and I was aghast at the smugness and stereotyping. For one thing, millions of ppl voted for Trump. Like him, hate him, whatever- law of averages dictates there's gotta be at least one Vivaldi loving, wine swilling, pony tailed pasta making recycling geek in there somewhere...

Old 06-05-2017, 11:50 PM

I'm quite aware that ideological and political differences are quite polarizing. People worry about what will happen to their society. But I am hoping for more harmony.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:29 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Agree. She really screwed it up with choosing Kaine.
That's really the truth . Things would have turned out differently had she picked Bernie . As liberal as I am I had to let go of some over zealous Bernie supporters who sat on their hands , did not vote , voted for themselves or whatever because he did not win the primary . He himself told his supporters not to do that .

I have a realtor - once a friend now aquaintence because she CANNOT LET HIM GO , you'd swear they were lovers . Noticed I said HIM instead of it ( being the primary loss) . She openly admits to crying over him for days on end and she BAKED A BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR HIM ?????? She draws pics of him and her attic is FILLED with Bernie memorabilia. Mr.Sanders would not want this .
This chick lives in Portland from SLC . I know her through my Dutch/ American couples group and sells VERY high end RE in Portland She calls it a boutique realty co . I don't even know how to communicate with her anymore . Not sure how her Dutch husband deals with it . It's every day .

Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM

Speaking as someone born at the end of the Babi boom, am still waiting for an explanation from True Timbers as to why I shouldn't have the right to save, invest and keep my own retirement money... this should be good...LOL.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
I've met you swazey, you're alright with me

Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Speaking as someone born at the end of the Babi boom, am still waiting for an explanation from True Timbers as to why I shouldn't have the right to save, invest and keep my own retirement money... this should be good...LOL.
Maybe TT had in mind the fact that fewer employers these days are contributing to retirement plans, and the fact that more and more jobs are for "independent contractors", so employers can escape benefits altogether. It's a different employment world than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM

135 posts, read 164,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
That's really the truth . Things would have turned out differently had she picked Bernie . As liberal as I am I had to let go of some over zealous Bernie supporters who sat on their hands , did not vote , voted for themselves or whatever because he did not win the primary . He himself told his supporters not to do that .

I have a realtor - once a friend now aquaintence because she CANNOT LET HIM GO , you'd swear they were lovers . Noticed I said HIM instead of it ( being the primary loss) . She openly admits to crying over him for days on end and she BAKED A BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR HIM ?????? She draws pics of him and her attic is FILLED with Bernie memorabilia. Mr.Sanders would not want this .
This chick lives in Portland from SLC . I know her through my Dutch/ American couples group and sells VERY high end RE in Portland She calls it a boutique realty co . I don't even know how to communicate with her anymore . Not sure how her Dutch husband deals with it . It's every day .

This crazy liberal needs to get help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area