Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 PM

13,083 posts, read 7,557,182 times

Advertisements

Take the LINK from SEA into town. You can get on/off LINK-bus-streetcar with one fare within 2 hours, IIRC.
Get a day pass ORCA the KingCoMetro main office (201Jackson) at International District-UnionStation-Amtrak (Regional Day Pass, $8. What to pay - Fares & ORCA passes - Metro Transit - King County) You could get lucky in that Udub will give you a day pass. You may be able to buy a day ticket at the airport, I forget.
At KingStation-Metro Office hop on the StreetCar going UP to Capital Hill and you will pass the northern edge of the International District and into Capital Hill district. End is the Capital Hill LINK station. Take the LINK to Udub. The scenic route.

Reverse trip (scenic-south direction) Take 70 bus at Udub into Eastlake District and into Seattle Center to Pike Place Downtown Areas. You can tour here or stay on bus that will take you down to the International District LINK (check with driver, or take practically any bus heading south, check with driver)

Theoretically you can do this on one fare ($2.50, one direction, within 2 hours) and if you have an Orca card, you tap the card getting ON LINK and OFF LINK and everytime you get ON a streetcar or bus.

I'm partial to Eastlake and Central District. We have a rental in Eastlake (#70 bus) but getting groceries and toiletries a pain. Eats, access to the Lake Union, and biking/walking is excellent. Our son has a place near Jackson/Yesler and 23rd (South end of Capitol Hill). All types of eats, library, grocery (asian, trader joes, safeway, red apple, walgreens) The drawback is that it is the top of the hill and sometimes a hike for me at 67yo with sciatic hip problems (#4, 14 & 27 bus). Hiking and biking is a bit more difficult because it is on the crest of the Capitol Hill.

Son used to live in Wallingford, 40th (#31 & 32) which will run into Udub and University Village (shopping). Lots of shared housing but mostly for younger people.

Last edited by leastprime; 07-03-2017 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:30 AM

15 posts, read 12,024 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you, everyone, for your honest and helpful replies.

I own my car outright. I will keep it as I do like a lot of day trips and long drives to other states, etc. So, the car stays. I know that some places charge for parking, but I will deal with that.

You all have given me some excellent ideas of areas I can check out while I'm in town for the campus interview. Having this information will help me make a more informed decision if the position is offered to me.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Fair enough. But assuming a few hundred extra per month for debt, spending 40% of gross income on housing seems reasonable (and well within a typical housing+transportation range), and that's $2,167 per month which is easily over the average apartment in Seattle.
The usual advice is to spend 30-33% of one's income on housing. 40% is pushing it, especially for someone with debt to pay off. There are nice 1-br's north of N'gate, and around Lake Forest Park, for about $1250-$1300/mo. There are not-as-nice 1 br's as close to UW as Ravenna or Greenlake for about $1500-$1600. The OP can decide whether proximity is more important to her than a nice, bright, spacious apt. & paying off her debt ASAP. She can always move closer in after she's paid off her debt.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-03-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The usual advice is to spend 30-33% of one's income on housing. 40% is pushing it, especially for someone with debt to pay off. There are nice 1-br's north of N'gate, and around Lake Forest Park, for about $1250-$1300/mo. There are not-as-nice 1 br's as close to UW as Ravenna or Greenlake for about $1500-$1600. The OP can decide whether proximity is more important to her than a nice, bright, spacious apt. & paying off her debt ASAP. She can always move after she's paid off her debt.

40% on housing might be acceptable for someone 25 and starting out in life, but we're talking about a 50 something year old professional with a graduate degree living in debt and applying for a job that pays half of what other professionals are making in industry.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If so, she should do a roomshare. I'd still say closer to UW is better than further away. She'd be saving the cost of a monthly transit pass.
I've been told UW subsidizes transit passes for employees, so living along any of the transit routes, or close to the Burke-Gilman Trail for bike commuting, to the U District/UW is certainly an option.

Living close to or in the U District/The Ave (east Wallingford, Roosevelt, Ravenna/Bryant, etc.) gives you easy access to lots of good cheap eats, watering holes, movie theatres, entertainment, live music, plus all the stuff on campus, including sports (volleyball, softball, soccer, gymnastics, etc.). Great parks nearby: the Aboretum, Cowen/Ravenna Parks, Magnuson Park, Green Lake/Woodland Park/Zoo, Gas Works Park. Lots of transit, including light rail - easy to get to Downtown, Capitol Hill, Fremont, Ballard, etc. Also, LOTS of apartments.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:12 PM

8,887 posts, read 6,912,846 times
My 40% point was based on not having a car but having some debt.

Obviously housing costs can't be thought of in a vacuum. But within certain parameters (no debt, no car, no kids) 50% would be a fine metric for many people. Especially if the denominator is large enough that the other 50% is a healthy amount. (And better yet if part of the first 50% goes to equity, i.e. themself)

Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie2966 View Post
Thank you, everyone, for your honest and helpful replies.

I own my car outright. I will keep it as I do like a lot of day trips and long drives to other states, etc. So, the car stays. I know that some places charge for parking, but I will deal with that.

You all have given me some excellent ideas of areas I can check out while I'm in town for the campus interview. Having this information will help me make a more informed decision if the position is offered to me.
In which case, for more affordable rentals, you might look at Northgate and Lake City, which have direct transit connections to UW - 25-35 minute bus commute. Further out, Kenmore and Bothell, are closer to a 45 minute bus commute.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:59 PM

8,887 posts, read 6,912,846 times
That's a lot of commuting just to store a car.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I've been told UW subsidizes transit passes for employees, so living along any of the transit routes, or close to the Burke-Gilman Trail for bike commuting, to the U District/UW is certainly an option.
UW employee bus pass is $50/month for unlimited rides on light rail and bus. OP, I didn't see if you answered if you'd be working on the main campus is Seattle (versus some of the administrative buildings spread around the city or one of the UW branches), but if it's not the main Seattle campus, people may have some other housing ideas for you.

Congrats on this possibility and good luck when you come on Thursday!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's a lot of commuting just to store a car.
She says she wants to keep it. Further out, she'll be more likely to get free, or at least cheaper, parking. She could commute by car, but UW will charge her to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area