Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:00 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
My 40% point was based on not having a car but having some debt.

Obviously housing costs can't be thought of in a vacuum. But within certain parameters (no debt, no car, no kids) 50% would be a fine metric for many people. Especially if the denominator is large enough that the other 50% is a healthy amount. (And better yet if part of the first 50% goes to equity, i.e. themself)
As I said earlier, it's a fine metric for someone young and starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 11:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Age isn't the defining point. The no-car, no-debt, no-kids points are more central.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
A quick glance at Craigslist for 1- or 2-bedroom apartments at $1650 or less (which is what the math says you *could* afford with your income) shows numerous places in the University District, and a number in the Eastlake, Ravenna and Green Lake areas, all very convenient to the UW. (Bus, bike or walk.)

Remember a couple of things if you're moving from CT to WA:

- Most people don't have or need air conditioning, and utility costs (if paying separately) are generally much cheaper than in the northeast.

- WA has no state income tax. This alone will put more money in your paycheck that you can spend on higher rent if need be. (You should ask the UW for an estimate of your actual take-home.)

- If you want to go car-less there are several car-sharing services available in the area that you can use for shopping trips, excursions into our wonderful surroundings, etc.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
- Most people don't have or need air conditioning, and utility costs (if paying separately) are generally much cheaper than in the northeast.
This is changing. Heat waves early in the summer, and sporadically throughout the summer, are becoming more common. I would recommend the OP get a window unit for the bedroom, for those times.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for the OP, for a successful interview tomorrow!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Age isn't the defining point. The no-car, no-debt, no-kids points are more central.

Age is a defining point if one ever dreams or needs to quit a job.. either because they are burnt out or, more likely, because one gets too old, too sick or too disabled.

At 50 years of age for someone making about $65k you would hope to see about $345k in retirement savings.

We don't know what OP has saved, but we do know she's in debt. We don't know how much that debt is.. $2k or $20k? Would you really recommend 50 year old with $20k in debt and very little in retirement savings to spend 40 or 50% of their income in housing? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is changing. Heat waves early in the summer, and sporadically throughout the summer, are becoming more common. I would recommend the OP get a window unit for the bedroom, for those times.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for the OP, for a successful interview tomorrow!
We're still talking about maybe a dozen days a year where a window unit would be helpful. I manage just fine with window fans. On the rare day in the 90s, I strip down to my skivvies at home and direct copious amounts of iced beverages through my alimentary canal, or head to one of our cold-water beaches. In general, we benefit from natural air conditioning.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Age is a defining point if one ever dreams or needs to quit a job.. either because they are burnt out or, more likely, because one gets too old, too sick or too disabled.

At 50 years of age for someone making about $65k you would hope to see about $345k in retirement savings.

We don't know what OP has saved, but we do know she's in debt. We don't know how much that debt is.. $2k or $20k? Would you really recommend 50 year old with $20k in debt and very little in retirement savings to spend 40 or 50% of their income in housing? I sure as hell wouldn't.
The OP said nothing about how much retirement savings she has, unless it was later. I didn't comment on that either.

But if you want to talk about that, sure. At $65k and spending half one's money on housing, I'd encourage expect a decent level of retirement savings as well, and that's certainly affordable within my original outline.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:05 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
We're still talking about maybe a dozen days a year where a window unit would be helpful. I manage just fine with window fans. On the rare day in the 90s, I strip down to my skivvies at home and direct copious amounts of iced beverages through my alimentary canal, or head to one of our cold-water beaches. In general, we benefit from natural air conditioning.
People from other parts of the US, though, aren't used to sweating through the hot days, struggling through without A/C. There's a good reason that new homes are being built around Seattle with A/C included nowadays.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
The OP said nothing about how much retirement savings she has, unless it was later. I didn't comment on that either.

But if you want to talk about that, sure. At $65k and spending half one's money on housing, I'd encourage expect a decent level of retirement savings as well, and that's certainly affordable within my original outline.
If you're making 65k per year, and spending half of that on housing, something's seriously wrong. Especially so if it's rent. Wages and salaries are higher than they have been here, but they haven't kept up with the increase in housing costs.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Anytime I hear of someone who has mediocre income (Seattle standards), debt, no real estate and is over the age of 50 I start to wonder what they have saved up for their future. Of course, they could have a ton stashed away in retirement accounts, but you know as well as I do that that isn't the norm. If that is the situation then, yes, fine, spend 50% income on housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area