Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:51 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times

Advertisements

Massive layoffs loom over Microsoft – BGR

Quote:
When a company as big as Microsoft finds itself in need of a reorganization, there are almost always casualties that result from the changes. That’s exactly what is about to happen to the tech giant, as multiple reports from inside sources suggest that the company is poised to downsize its boxed software business, and the changes could result in a sizable layoffs to Microsoft’s sales teams around the globe, affecting thousands of employees.
This is, of course, nothing new and has been going on for some time, as MS tries to pivot from the Desktop and its Office Franchise to Cloud-enabled apps and services, a process as long and difficult as turning around the Exxon Valdez was (and we know how that ended). The biggest problem with these kinds of transitions tends to be cultural - what they really need to do is fire all the managers (a fish rots from the head), and offer anyone who wants to come over from Amazon a 25% raise.

At the same time, I have to say, I'm generally quite satisfied with Windows 10, after having resisted upgrading from Windows 7 for a l-o-n-g time. That's the only Windows software I run, however. Open Office is just as good as MS Office, and it is free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,392 times
They have so many contracted vs regular staff- it's hard for me to really predict...

Old 07-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,620 posts, read 81,316,164 times
As in the past, they will then turn around and hire thousands of new employees to work on other, non-boxed software products and services over the next few years. Apparently they don't consider it effective to change people over to different work, so they lay off some and hire others for whatever the latest technology is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-since-2005/

Old 07-03-2017, 05:50 PM

8,880 posts, read 6,898,637 times
I wish I could use Explorer without it crashing constantly. Home or at work aided by IT...doesn't matter. It's unusable, and got worse with the new Windows. And stop opening the god damn half-assed browser every single freaking time I log on. And make it so I don't have to ask Google how to use anything or turn off stupid things.

Maybe the general suckiness of everything is related somehow.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 PM

30,463 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Massive layoffs loom over Microsoft – BGR

This is, of course, nothing new and has been going on for some time, as MS tries to pivot from the Desktop and its Office Franchise to Cloud-enabled apps and services, a process as long and difficult as turning around the Exxon Valdez was (and we know how that ended). The biggest problem with these kinds of transitions tends to be cultural - what they really need to do is fire all the managers (a fish rots from the head), and offer anyone who wants to come over from Amazon a 25% raise.

At the same time, I have to say, I'm generally quite satisfied with Windows 10, after having resisted upgrading from Windows 7 for a l-o-n-g time. That's the only Windows software I run, however. Open Office is just as good as MS Office, and it is free!
Sounds like only in Sales which may be mostly outside of their Redmond and Bellevue offices.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,678,686 times
Fire executives before you fire managers.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,381,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I wish I could use Explorer without it crashing constantly. Home or at work aided by IT...doesn't matter. It's unusable, and got worse with the new Windows. And stop opening the god damn half-assed browser every single freaking time I log on. And make it so I don't have to ask Google how to use anything or turn off stupid things.

Maybe the general suckiness of everything is related somehow.
Internet Exploder...

Their new browser, Microsoft Edge, is purportedly pretty good, but I've avoided using it - once burned, in other words. Sometimes it spontaneously opens, but I immediately shut it down. I'm still using Firefox, because I'm comfortable with it, although it has its own performance quirks. We are animals of habit. Used Netscape before that. Have never been able to cotton to Chrome.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 AM

8,880 posts, read 6,898,637 times
They each suck in their own ways. I used different browsers for different sites.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:33 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Internet Exploder...

Their new browser, Microsoft Edge, is purportedly pretty good, but I've avoided using it - once burned, in other words. Sometimes it spontaneously opens, but I immediately shut it down. I'm still using Firefox, because I'm comfortable with it, although it has its own performance quirks. We are animals of habit. Used Netscape before that. Have never been able to cotton to Chrome.
Internet Exploder......

I have a 13" (purchased new, mid July 2016) MacBook Air running El Capitan. I've 'BootCamped' it, and I'm running Windows 10 on the BootCamp partition. I also have the cheap 8" NuVision Windows 10 tablet from The Microsoft Store with an additional microSD card inside. I also have an 11.6" ASUS netbook that is running the Windows 8.1 it came with. I have Opera and Firefox set up on each of these, and Safari on the Mac (instead of IE or Edge). I'm running IE on the Windows 8.1 ASUS, and EDGE on both the BootCamp Windows 10 partition (MB Air), and the Windows 10 tablet.

I agree with you re IE, and it does crash on my Win 8.1 ASUS.

So far, so good re EDGE on both the Win 10 BootCamp partition and the Win 10 tablet . No issues so far.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,620 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Quote:
Internet Exploder...

I have a Surface with 10 at work. Some of our software works on Edge only, some won't work at all on Edge so have to use I.E., others won't work on either so I have to use Chrome or Firefox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: