Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Her

298 posts, read 869,765 times

Advertisements

Definitely check out Georgetown and Columbia City. I've lived in both Ballard and Fremont, and they're a hop, skip, and jump away from each other. I love Ballard, but the development along Market street killed it for me. I'm sure there are more techies living in Fremont now than when I lived there, but as a cyclist, being so close to the Burke Gilman was a dream come true. Plus no trouble finding parking for the solstice parade I also really like the Phinney Ridge area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 PM

513 posts, read 500,810 times
Capitol Hill has lost some of its Bohemian character, though it still exists. Right now we are experiencing a large homeless and drug addicts problem (which isn't new, but seems to have magnified recently). Not many true "dives" although quite a few new "dive" bars that try to recreate it. I've been here 21 years and that's my take. It's still nice, but mostly young professionals, Amazon types, and hipsters. A lot of expensive ice cream, cupcakes, etc. Certainly not a bad place to live and very close to everything. For people in their 20s and doing the nightlife thing, couldn't imagine a better spot.

If you want a very unpretentious atmosphere, check out White Center. They are starting to get the more upscale stuff (they just got a brew pub, some good BBQ and Burgers, and a gay bar is on the way) and it's more affordable. Some people are scared off by it's reputation, but I really like the area. Schools might be an issue for you though. South Park is similar but fewer amenities, grittier, and has some contaminated soils. Georgetown is also nice though there's actually not that many housing units there as I recall.

I'd also recommend Greenwood as homesinseattle does. It's trended from working class to upper middle class since I've been here but still has good character and is convenient to live (grocery, restaurant, Fred Meyer, bars) all within walking distance and well served by transit. I'm not personally as enchanted with Columbia City as others, but it's worth a look. I'm also personally enchanted with the Morgan Junction area of West Seattle.

There really are a lot of good neighborhoods here now that I'm listing them out!

Last edited by jakebarnes; 09-05-2017 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: poor grammar, doh!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,085,360 times
Under the radar at the moment, but the top of Beacon Hill looks very much like the other hip areas did a few years before they were anointed with hipness. Look right around the area of the Beacon Hill light rail station. The next Georgetown maybe, but in a very cool highly ethnically mixed area. Amazingly convenient and affordable, too. https://goo.gl/maps/PpsYnVm1xrP2

Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,913,013 times
Agreed on Beacon Hill. Light Rail and close to downtown. A no-brainer. Next cool area, for sure.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 PM

8,182 posts, read 8,328,683 times
Beacon Hill, a few gems:

Bar Del Corso: very tasty pizzeria and restaurant: - Bar del Corso

El Quetzal Mexican, delicious: https://m.yelp.com/biz/el-quetzal-seattle

Travelers Thali: very good South Indian: Travelers Thali House | Seattle, WA 98144

Despi Delite Bakery: old school Filipino bakery, get the purple yam cake: Despi Delite Bakery

Tippe and Drague Alehouse, great beers: Tippe and Drague Alehouse - Beacon Hill Seattle

Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,085,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Beacon Hill, a few gems:

Travelers Thali: very good South Indian: Travelers Thali House | Seattle, WA 98144

Despi Delite Bakery: old school Filipino bakery, get the purple yam cake: Despi Delite Bakery

Tippe and Drague Alehouse, great beers: Tippe and Drague Alehouse - Beacon Hill Seattle
Also Baja Bistro for terrific Mexican food, drink and... breakfast! https://www.yelp.com/biz/baja-bistro-seattle

Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Beacon Hill, a few gems:

And Carnitas Michoacan:
Some of Seattle

Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 PM

The Pinehurst and Victory Heights neighborhoods of NE Seattle are often overlooked, still pretty "real" and I think quite underrated. There is a slightly gritty but very safe and fun commercial section where they meet (15th Ave NE and Pinehurst Way NE, about NE 117th St). Right at that junction, there are two very good (I know, I trekked in Ethiopia for a month) Ethiopian restaurants, Enat and Jebena. I think I like Enat a touch better, delicious morning ful done right with fresh bread and strong homemade Ethiopian coffee (where coffee originated in the world).

This area is pretty laid back, close to all the amenities of Northgate and has surprisingly good proximity for commuting purposes to Seattle or headed north. Pinehurst Pub up that way is fun, laid back with great beers, here is the link: http://pinehurstpubseattle.com/. A couple more worthwhile places close by: Chaiyo Thai is pretty tasty: http://www.chaiyonorthgate.com/. Masala Indian is some of the very best in Seattle and is just down the road near Northgate: http://www.masalaofindiaseattle.com/

Last edited by homesinseattle; 09-06-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM

21,991 posts, read 15,743,872 times
Sincerely - it sounds like the OP would be happier in Portland.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Oh, forgot to mention always fun Party, Display and Costume close to Pinehurst/Victory Heights, here's the link: Party Supplies - Birthdays - Balloons - Costumes - Crafts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area