Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:02 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,636 times

Advertisements

Daytime/commute radio pretty much sucks. After 7pm it becomes a lot better, and weekends are a little better. The Rock used to be okay, but their daytime musical selection has barely changed in years and their shockjocks are just lazy now. Plus they seem to run so many commercials.

If I had to choose, I would put on 107.7 The End for the new music but switch to KZOK classic rock or Jack FM whenever they replayed the same song for the 100th time that day. Best time to listen to The End is a holiday when they countdown 1000 old tracks and actually play alternative music that they don't play any other time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Fully transmition, takes a cold heart not to like classic rock. Here's the link to KZOK: 102.5 KZOK

Old 11-30-2017, 12:39 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
My favorite station was KPLU-FM, which, prior to its being sold off to "Friends of 88.5" and becoming KNKX-FM, came through loud and clear on my "el cheapo" clock radio. Now it is all staticky. I never could get decent reception of KUOW-FM here in West Ballard. So, has jazz and blues been entirely banished from the dial?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seriously, back in Seattle after time away and you realize how awful the radio is here (FM radio, music). Out of all the big and small cities I've been over the last couple years, they have to be the worst collectively. Morning and afternoon talk on some of them? Come on.... The music selection is generic, repetitive, and way too heavy on the same 5 Nirvana songs it seems. I know a lot of them are run by national broadcasting groups, but really compared to LA, Miami, Phoenix, hell even Sacramento and WICHITA have better musical selection without the endless "drivetime talk" BS on half the stations.

What say CD?
There used to be a very cool alternative radio station. But when the owners took a year off to travel, the inmates ran amok running the place without supervision, and the place crashed. That was unfortunate. All that's left of any value is KUOW.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
A few good options for you:

KEXP 90.3, great station, super variety: KEXP 90.3 FM - where the music matters

C89.5, solid EDM and dance music: C89.5 | Seattle's Home For Dance!

KING 98.1, very good listener supported classical music: KING FM 98.1 - Classic Radio Inc.

Hot 103.7, good throwbacks: Hot 103.7 Seattle | 100% Throwbacks
I should probably add this bit to that thread for:
"How about we have a "what do you love about Seattle". Haters, stay on your own side, just for once..."

No doubt I'm a total insufferable curmudgeon...
Granted I'm prone to melancholy or depressive states of mind, but that's probably why I like feel-good happy dance music so much that C89.5 KNHC plays.

Moreover C89.5 doesn't even interrupt the grooves for advertising!
Also no awful news, emotionally manipulative "reporting" or political commentary intended to provoke outrage and keep listeners tuned in.

Just the art of beautiful, inspiring & energizing music!
That old raver motto, "Peace Love Unity and Respect" (PLUR) is really all we need to know. Everything else, all that fashionable Social Justice Wokeness just complicates things and inevitably alienates many.
Love is really all we need. Put PLUR together with the Golden Rule and we could all come together in unity and brotherhood and build G*ds kingdom here on earth.

C89.5 is without parallel, the only music station in the US of its kind. Seattle is lucky to have it!

It's so cute too that they have high school kids participating in some of the on-air announcing and also working behind the scenes in managing and operating the station. Probably learning lessons more valuable than in many of their other classes...

Without rival, C89.5 is my favorite "cultural institution" in Seattle since I've lived here a few years ago.
Having no heirs yet, I might be tempted to write them into my will for good chunk of whatever my legacy is, if I weren't so gloomy about FM radio's future...

I do hope they manage to adapt and make the transition to whatever comes next. Maybe I should join other sponsors to help fund a programs for video production, dj & audio mixing that are geared to the new distribution channels such as on demand audio podcasting & online video like youtube that will inevitably displace over the air broadcast distribution? It's going to be a brave new world that we old codgers can't even imagine. Somebody has to help kids get ready so they can build it!

Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
At night I used to be able to get KGO in San Francisco, but of course, that station's gone down the tubes as well.

OP, are you talking about getting radio stations in your car or just at home? Because a lot of stations today also broadcast over the internet and while it's nice to get a local station, you might be able to find a better one for music online.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
89.5 is my favorite.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Add the free TuneIn App from the Roku Channel Store (also available for other devices) to get all the main local stations (some with two or more HD channels: KNKX (Jazz-Blues/Public), C89.5, KEXP, KSER (Public), NWPR (Classical/Public), KBCS, Movin 92.5, KISM, KMPS (Country), KMIH, KUOW (Public), KJAQ, KIRO, KING (Classical), Rock 98.9, KISW, 100.7 The Wolf (Country), Star 101.5, KZOK, The Mountain 103.7, KAFE, 107.7 The End. Clear as a bell.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Forget the commercial radio stations. They are horrible. As others have mentioned, try the local non-commercial stations. They are awesome:

KEXP, where the music matters
KBCS, a world of music and ideas (including shows by my beloved Thom Hartmann and Amy Goodman)
KNKX, jazz, blues and NPR news
KUOW, news and information

Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
YES THE MUSIC NOW SUCKS IN SEATTLE!!!! OMG, we had the best music in the nation two decades ago, all the way up until maybe a decade ago.
We had smooth jazz, a lost oldies station, we had country, R&B(I'm going to cry) we had classic rock, newer rock, and the hits just kept on coming.
Now we have nothing. I listen to KIRO talk radio, and my playlists on my music apps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area