Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:57 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,924,133 times

Advertisements

Today i was eating lunch at ivars seafood bar inside the northgate mall foodcourt. The manager of ivars and i had a conversation about the northgate mall. The manager told me that macys northgate mall is currently on a year to year lease and there are rumors of macys closing their northgate mall location.

The manager of ivars is concerned that if macys leaves northgate mall it will kill foot traffic and destroy northhate mall.

Has anyone else heard anything??

A manager of jcpenny northgate mall told me that in may 2017 jcpenny signed another 10 year lease with northgate mall. Jcpenny wasnt going to sign another lease at northgate mall but northgate mall management lowered jcpennys rent to keep them there.

Last edited by annonymous0381; 02-02-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM

157 posts, read 186,701 times
Seems strange given how much foot traffic the Link extension potentially brings in 3 years.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 PM

320 posts, read 512,751 times
In 2018, the people who shop at Macy's don't go into the mall and the people who shop at the Mall don't go into Macy's.

Malls have a lot of problems but this isn't one of them.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post
Seems strange given how much foot traffic the Link extension potentially brings in 3 years.
Hopefully the Northgate mall will hang on until the link extension.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Hopefully the Northgate mall will hang on until the link extension.
"Hang on" is the key phrase. Northgate mall has been struggling for many years. Time will tell if the redesign will meaningfully improve Totem Lake. If so, maybe they should do something similar to Northgate.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
"Hang on" is the key phrase. Northgate mall has been struggling for many years. Time will tell if the redesign will meaningfully improve Totem Lake. If so, maybe they should do something similar to Northgate.
What have they done to totem lake?? I wonder why Northgate mall has been struggling for many years??

Old 02-03-2018, 12:46 AM

Im sure Alderwood mall and Bellevue square mall arent struggling like Northgate mall is. Why??

Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Two different types of mall. Bellevue Square bills itself as an "upscale" shopping destination. Alderwood is more aimed at the suburban masses, who, the further out you go, lack other convenient shopping alternatives, especially with Aurora Village defunct. Retail, however, and thus anchor tenants, such as Macy's, has Amazon's target on their back.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Im sure Alderwood mall and Bellevue square mall arent struggling like Northgate mall is. Why??
Because Bell Square Mall is an experience, in Bellevue, for people who enjoy bespoke products from the likes of Swarovski Crystal, Mont Blanc, Bose Audio, Burberry, etc. Not some junkyard selling dollar toys made in China in-bulk, which probably appeals more to the value-conscious Northgate crowd.

JC Penny can sign all the leases they want, I'd be astounded if they even exist as-current in five years. They attempted to pivot under new executives a few years ago, got it all wrong, and are now pivoting back. Not sure what they supply that Ross and similar don't already.

As others mention, most malls exist from an era before online, Amazon and otherwise. I don't need Tall's Camera with B&H and Adorama online at 7/8 the price minus any sales tax. Likewise for just about every other major (and minor) chain. The more value-conscious the mall, the faster the demise, I suspect (but can't prove).

Haven't been to Alderwood in years, but then again it's hard to get to if you don't live in that general area. I took to the bus to get there given the overflow around the holidays. I lived not terribly far away, for eleven years, and the mall was an interesting hive of activity for many of them. They added those theaters and it just got better. Spent tons of time at the Nordies, Macy's, Blu C Sushi, Ben Bridges, and much more there. Always liked that one and hope it continues to hold the line as something of an area anchor.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Alderwood mall also has pottery barn and williams sonoma. Alderwood mall is also adding a Cheesecake factory.

At northgate mall i do shop at jcpenny, macys,old navy, express and vans. I also biy books at barnes and noble northgate.

My couch in my apartment is from jcpenny. My bed in my apartment bedroom is also from jcpenny northgate.

My dining room table, loveseat, coffee table is from macys northgate.

I do shop at northgate mall for convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area