Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:13 PM

51 posts, read 95,654 times

Advertisements

I love the slightly rural, slightly alternative vibe of West Seattle. The vegetable gardens and unique, sometimes wild yards, places like Vidiot and C&P, the West-facing views of the Sound and Olympics - I absolutely love these things.

However, the neighborhood has been changing. Older homes are becoming replaced with modern box houses that attract a very different population. C&P may be going away. The prices are getting so high that many people who currently live here would not be able to afford their house if they hadn't bought it years ago.

So, I wonder, what are some alternatives?

A perfect place for me would include...
  • West-Northwest views over Sound and Olympics
  • Lots of pine trees
  • Neighborhood bars, breweries, and coffee shops. Not Starbucks.
  • A plot of land with a nice view can be had for 300k, 600k for a house
  • Gardens, trees, and sometimes chickens. Not lawns and trimmed hedges

I realize what a hipster I sound like, and I've come to terms with that, so I hope you can too

I've looked at the areas south of WS a bit and they seem nice, and prices get better as you head towards Normandy Park and Des Moines, but the ratio of cute neighborhood coffee shops to Starbucks is on the low end. Going north towards Everett/Mukilteo, even worse, and a lot of that area feels even more suburban than the parts south. Bainbridge might be nice if I'd be willing to trade views of the Olympics to views of Cascades and Seattle, but I don't want to look at Seattle. Whidbey is a nice candidate, but commute would become unreasonable so I'd have to start working remotely. Not out of the question, but maybe not just yet. Of course, I've only explored these areas briefly, so more than open to changing my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
North Tacoma. Specifically The Proctor and Stadium areas. Also Brown's Point, though it's a little disconnected from the urban feel.

Hurry, it ain't gonna last.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Hi Zima,

Hard to have all those things at that price. Look at Burien. Neat old town feeling, decent sized lots. Beautiful down by Puget Sound in the Three Tree Point area. Historic North Everett is underrated, streets like Grand, Rucker and Hoyt North of 19th St. and west of Colby Ave are really nice. Cool historic downtown on the rise. The View Ridge area and areas by Forest Park have larger wooded lots. Everett has commuter rail to Downtown Seattle (King St Station).

Vashon Island could probably work for you at $600k. Don't know where you commute but there is a passenger boat directly to Downtown Seattle.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 03-11-2018 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 11:28 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
This hits the evergreens and gardens bit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true

Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 PM

51 posts, read 95,654 times
CrazyDonkey - that is a lovely home! If I wasn't so addicted to the Sound and Olympics, this would be much easier, I think.

homesinseattle - Vashon, I actually love that place, and that would be a great commute for me. Unfortunately, it shares a similar isolation factor to Whidbey, and it does not have the views I'm looking for.

tommy64 - I will have to explore Tacoma a bit more. I've steered clear of it in the past, it does not have the best reputation. But, perhaps it's time for an exploratory mission.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Zima, have a look at Historic North Everett, it might surprise you. Very different than the "suburbany" feel of South Everett. There is a funky organic coffee shop called Zippy's at 15th and Rucker, a great old school natural foods coop called Sno-isle on Grand Avenue. The western views of the Sound can be amazing, lots of artistic and musical people up there, many who were priced out of Seattle. Surprising amount of little ethnic eateries, preserved historic buildings (the epicenter is roughly Hewitt and Colby). Cool waterfront with marina, restaurants, concerts, farmers market, brewpub, winery.

For $600-$700k you can get a sizeable classic historic home on a decent sized lot, maybe even with some view..

Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
North Tacoma. Specifically The Proctor and Stadium areas. Also Brown's Point, though it's a little disconnected from the urban feel.

Hurry, it ain't gonna last.
Agreed. I know two families who bought there recently.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:01 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Zima, have a look at Historic North Everett, it might surprise you. Very different than the "suburbany" feel of South Everett. There is a funky organic coffee shop called Zippy's at 15th and Rucker, a great old school natural foods coop called Sno-isle on Grand Avenue. The western views of the Sound can be amazing, lots of artistic and musical people up there, many who were priced out of Seattle. Surprising amount of little ethnic eateries, preserved historic buildings (the epicenter is roughly Hewitt and Colby). Cool waterfront with marina, restaurants, concerts, farmers market, brewpub, winery.

For $600-$700k you can get a sizeable classic historic home on a decent sized lot, maybe even with some view..
This sounds really nice. I'm going to check it out, the next time I'm in the area.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima1349 View Post
CrazyDonkey - that is a lovely home! If I wasn't so addicted to the Sound and Olympics, this would be much easier, I think.
While there are no views of the Sound and the Olympics, there are of Lake Washington, the Cascades, and Mt. Rainier in the area. Kubota Gardens is a block away. There are a couple highly rated cafes nearby right on Lake Washington. The commute to Seattle beats Tacoma and Everett to heck.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
This hits the evergreens and gardens bit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true
Crazy, I've been with 2 sets of clients that area in the last week. Pretty good value for money, some spots have nice Lake Washington and Mt Rainier views, quick hop step to vibrant Columbia City also. Like anywhere close in, places get bid up. $700K would definitely make OP's wishes more feasible that $600K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area