Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times

Advertisements

This entire thread is silly.

Who cares if people think Seattle is an Int'l city? It's international enough for us, a truly international family. Currently we live and work simultaneously in Houston, Seattle, Rotterdam, Verona/Ferrara, and Hong Kong.

My family speaks 3-5 languages and our kids currently attend Seattle public schools after spending eleven years in Int'l and French schools. My 15 year old has a passport on order after running out of pages, does that make us "international" enough?

Walking around Seattle downtown just before Christmas both DH and I were commenting on the number of languages spoken that we heard.

The probability that any modestly educated person anywhere in the world hasn't heard of Seattle is zero.

Seattle is regarded favorably across the globe, much more than Houston (our other primary American home) although Houston is a much larger "global" city. Who cares? No one wants to visit Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
This entire thread is silly.

Who cares if people think Seattle is an Int'l city? It's international enough for us, a truly international family. Currently we live and work simultaneously in Houston, Seattle, Rotterdam, Verona/Ferrara, and Hong Kong.

My family speaks 3-5 languages and our kids currently attend Seattle public schools after spending eleven years in Int'l and French schools. My 15 year old has a passport on order after running out of pages, does that make us "international" enough?

Walking around Seattle downtown just before Christmas both DH and I were commenting on the number of languages spoken that we heard.

The probability that any modestly educated person anywhere in the world hasn't heard of Seattle is zero.

Seattle is regarded favorably across the globe, much more than Houston (our other primary American home) although Houston is a much larger "global" city. Who cares? No one wants to visit Houston.

fnh for the win. Couldn't have said it better myself, my family and I had the same experience in the International District (Uwajimaya to be more specific) just the other day. I've traveled from the High Himalayas to the Madagascar Jungles to the Ecuadorian highlands and many places in between. Seattle suits me just fine.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:34 PM

609 posts, read 303,444 times
Wow, people really have tough standards on here. Seattle has tons of immigrant communities, several multinationals that bring in people from all over the world, lots of international tourists, lots of direct transcontinental flights. Seattle is a popular destination among some people I've met traveling in Europe. Not everything needs to be compared to New York City.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I think this thread is a symptom of the self-consciousness that drives a lot of Seattle's "feel good" politics.

Seattle really wants to be the premier progressive utopia. Seattle wants everyone to think they're really hip and cool... But the actual cool kids don't look around and wonder if their friends are cool enough. At least... not out loud. They just ~are~.

Just be yourself Seattle. Stop wondering what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-12-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think this thread is a symptom of the self-consciousness that drives a lot of Seattle's "feel good" politics.

Seattle really wants to be the premier progressive utopia. Seattle wants everyone to think they're really hip and cool... But the actual cool kids don't look around and wonder if their friends are cool enough. At least... not out loud. They just ~are~.

Just be yourself Seattle. Stop wondering what everyone else thinks.
We are, Diana, this is just one poster. Most people I know in Seattle don't care at all about this kind of thing.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Carry on then homes.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 AM

305 posts, read 450,182 times
I think Anthony Bourdain defined a true, global city best in describing Chicago:

“All too often, particularly in America, I'll walk to the window and draw back the curtains, looking to remind myself where I might be -- and it doesn't help at all.

The featureless, anonymous skyline that greets me is much the same as the previous city's and the city before that.

This is not a problem in Chicago.

You wake up in Chicago, pull back the curtain and you KNOW where you are. You could be nowhere else. You are in a big, brash, muscular, broad-shouldered mother****in' city.”

I’d say only NY, SF and LA have that similar quality. Seattle may one day get there, but the question is, would you want it to?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 PM

405 posts, read 395,073 times
^^^Seattle already has a unique and distinct enough structure, location and culture to give that feeling that you KNOW where you are IMO

Old 01-13-2019, 08:20 PM

609 posts, read 303,444 times
What? Seattle has one of the most recognizable skylines in America.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
I think Anthony Bourdain defined a true, global city best in describing Chicago:

“All too often, particularly in America, I'll walk to the window and draw back the curtains, looking to remind myself where I might be -- and it doesn't help at all.

The featureless, anonymous skyline that greets me is much the same as the previous city's and the city before that.

This is not a problem in Chicago.

You wake up in Chicago, pull back the curtain and you KNOW where you are. You could be nowhere else. You are in a big, brash, muscular, broad-shouldered mother****in' city.”

I’d say only NY, SF and LA have that similar quality. Seattle may one day get there, but the question is, would you want it to?
must be a troll post. Seattle has one of the most recognizable skylines in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area