Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I think the needle would be a kewl experience on New Years.
It sure was in 1999, the alleged "turn" of the Millennium (real mathematical turn was the following year, but no matter). There was a terror threat at the time, we figured there was a non-trivial chance it would blow up. Well, it didn't, and my then-girlfriend Elizabeth and I had a great New Year's at an event real close to the 'Needle. That was the night we decided we really liked each other, making it extra special. 'Nuff said.

Some years later, I've spent I believe two NYE at a jazz club in ...nearby... with a date. If I have no date, I usually stay in because I really don't care. I like dark, cool (as in hip) places with 1:1 or two couples, personally, for parties. If you like that, there are tons of smaller places you can raid on NYE. In 2013 my then GF and I raided a popular restaurant in Bellevue for NYE and squeaked into some spaces at the bar, were served light cocktails and snack-food, and also had a good time. No plans needed. That takes a bit of daring, though. In 2004, I remember doing-same, and finding one of my favorite lounges at one of Seattle's top steakhouses only filled with maybe half-dozen couples. My date and I stuck around awhile, then fled to go make out or something.

Might have a date this year, I'm working on it. Women in general are not impressed if I don't plan well; last paragraph takes an exceptional lady to run around a bit on that night as a co-conspirator to find someplace fun. So I see this year may be solo, and that's okay too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 11:18 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
For the second year, King County Metro will offer free rides on New Year’s Eve. Rides will be free from 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 31, to 4 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 1, including DART and Access service. In addition, Metro will add buses to its night routes. The Seattle Streetcar also will be free on New Year's Eve, and Sound Transit will extend the operating hours of Link light rail service between Angle Lake and the University of Washington.

“As we ring in another new year together, we are glad to again offer free rides on Metro to help keep the celebration safe for everyone,” said King County Executive Dow Constantine. “We appreciate all our customers, and hope folks who give transit a try during the holiday season will join the half-million daily Metro riders who depend on our safe, friendly, and reliable service all year 'round.”
Quote:
King County Metro will operate reduced weekday schedules on New Year’s Eve on some routes, with extra buses on several routes serving destinations such as Seattle Center, Capitol Hill and downtown. New Year’s revelers can take advantage of Metro’s recently expanded Night Owl network, with added service on major routes between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Quote:
Metro routes with added trips as needed will include 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 24, 32, 36, 40, 41, 62, 65, 70, 101, 106, 120, 124, 150, 255, RapidRide A, B, C, D and E lines, and ST 550 and ST 554. The fareboxes and ORCA card readers on Metro buses will be covered to remind customers not to pay. A regular valid fare will be required on Sound Transit Express buses.
https://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/e...res-metro.aspx

Old 12-28-2018, 01:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

HA!! Looks like I'm going to ring in the new year at the Space Needle!

Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
New Years at the Needle is pretty much the NYC Times Square equivalent. They shoot fireworks off/around the needle after the countdown and usually there's live music and all kinds of Seattle drama. Like others have mentioned, the entire area is pretty filled up and no matter if you stick near the center/armory area or go over to bars in Belltown there'll be people celebrating.

I've done New Years and it's pretty typical to other cities where people gather around the cities main attraction and party. The trick is to go when it's a clear new years. There's nothing more frustrating then standing in the wind and rain for hours only for the fireworks show getting canceled because of weather off or if they do the performance it's blocked by the clouds.
As or rite now Monday and Tuesday have a very low chance of rain. So that part is covered.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
High wind warning for western Wa. on Monday night from 9pm until 4am. Gusts up to 60 mph. Steady winds at 35 mph.
Is everyone still going to the center or to a bar to celebrate?

I don't know where to go!!!!. I'm in Bellevue in Crossroads. Should I go to The Pumphouse or The Goose??

Old 12-31-2018, 06:53 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
I have a bunch of very fun musician friends and clients and they have invited me to this really cool looking New Years Party in "Frelard". This "gypsy, Greek, Balkan" is kind of a thing right now in Seattle, lots of fun. "NYE Balkan Bash! Melez w/ The Fetatones & the mysterious SK band". Here is the link: https://m.facebook.com/events/1151425128360004

Old 12-31-2018, 03:16 PM

323 posts, read 449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
It sure was in 1999, the alleged "turn" of the Millennium (real mathematical turn was the following year, but no matter). There was a terror threat at the time, we figured there was a non-trivial chance it would blow up. Well, it didn't, and my then-girlfriend Elizabeth and I had a great New Year's at an event real close to the 'Needle. That was the night we decided we really liked each other, making it extra special. 'Nuff said.
We had a suite at Hampton and decided to go to the 1999 event. Had fun at McHugh's with a band playing. I believe there was fireworks on the Needle. The Center mostly made up for it in 2000 with a bigger than usual celebration including bands at the Mural, but no burning statues that were planned for 1999.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: