Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM

33 posts, read 35,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was contemplating a move to Seattle for a year or so and finally made the move on Dec last year. Now living temporarily in Edmonds for 2/3 months while looking to purchase. Need advice from you guys.

1. I am married, with one kid (4-months). My workplace is in downtown Seattle, near King Street station. With that said, what are some places that I can buy a 3/2 house/condo/townhouse? Budget is 450-460K. I was preferring Edmonds, Lynnwood areas because of the Sounder commuter stations. Are these good choices? Any advice?

2. Any other areas recommended? Like Bothell, Redmond, kirkland etc? Is north of Seattle safer/preferable than south of Seattle?

3. I like train for commute but I have a car too. What are best places for commuting to the king street stations?

4. Within my budget (450-460K), what are the recommended school districts?

5. Do you guys think buying is a good choice now or should I rent and wait a year or so? Are prices generaly going up/down?

Appreciate the help I always get from this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2441139 View Post
Hi everyone, I was contemplating a move to Seattle for a year or so and finally made the move on Dec last year. Now living temporarily in Edmonds for 2/3 months while looking to purchase. Need advice from you guys.

1. I am married, with one kid (4-months). My workplace is in downtown Seattle, near King Street station. With that said, what are some places that I can buy a 3/2 house/condo/townhouse? Budget is 450-460K. I was preferring Edmonds, Lynnwood areas because of the Sounder commuter stations. Are these good choices? Any advice?

2. Any other areas recommended? Like Bothell, Redmond, kirkland etc? Is north of Seattle safer/preferable than south of Seattle?

3. I like train for commute but I have a car too. What are best places for commuting to the king street stations?

4. Within my budget (450-460K), what are the recommended school districts?

5. Do you guys think buying is a good choice now or should I rent and wait a year or so? Are prices generaly going up/down?

Appreciate the help I always get from this forum.
Hi James, congrats on the move! There are commuter rail (The Sounder) stations in Mukilteo, Everett, Kent and Edmonds. Edmonds is out of your price range, Mukilteo schools are the best of the other 3. Bothell, Redmond, Kirkland would all be out of your range, too. Parts of Everett (like Historic North Everett and Rucker Hill) are really nice, there is a commuter rail station in Everett, though the schools in Mukilteo perform better.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Are the housing prices going downhill?

Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Its a small hill.......

Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Its a small hill.......
Got it. I'm not very good with real-estate prediction. Is it a bad idea to buy now or wait it out for a year or so?

Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Rent for 6-12 mns. Spend your time exploring your choices, figuring out your job, and keeping the family happy. Probably 1000 new and ready for occupancy apartments units from 12th to 17th on Jackson. Make your deal. Probably another 1000 units on Jackson and Yesler will come on line in 2019. Paul Allen's Vulcan Development on 23rd & Jackson buildings with 550 units will be ready in 2020. Restaurants are abundant on Jackson and Central District. Grocery food inexpensive at the Asian food stores. Goodwill is close by for other knick-knacks.

Keep your commute as short as possible. Spend time exploring.

Get acquainted with a realtor.

Last edited by leastprime; 01-14-2019 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 01:33 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
If working near King Street Station, the south Sounder is more reliable than the north Sounder, which is subject to washouts. If looking to rent, consider apartments near light rail stations: N. Beacon Hill, Mt. Baker, Columbia City, and Othello. Also, look at Central District/Judkins Park and West Seattle (near the RapidRide C-Line).

Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
Check out the seattle bubble blog they have good stats there.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Rent for 6-12 mns. Spend your time exploring your choices, figuring out your job, and keeping the family happy. Probably 1000 new and ready for occupancy apartments units from 12th to 17th on Jackson. Make your deal. Probably another 1000 units on Jackson and Yesler will come on line in 2019. Paul Allen's Vulcan Development on 23rd & Jackson buildings with 550 units will be ready in 2020. Restaurants are abundant on Jackson and Central District. Grocery food inexpensive at the Asian food stores. Goodwill is close by for other knick-knacks.

Keep your commute as short as possible. Spend time exploring.

Get acquainted with a realtor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If working near King Street Station, the south Sounder is more reliable than the north Sounder, which is subject to washouts. If looking to rent, consider apartments near light rail stations: N. Beacon Hill, Mt. Baker, Columbia City, and Othello. Also, look at Central District/Judkins Park and West Seattle (near the RapidRide C-Line).
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Check out the seattle bubble blog they have good stats there.
Looking at rental options, seems more rentals are available now due to new developments?
Interesting blog, but I find some stats always confusing when it comes to RE market. For example, it looks like there is a decline in seller and buyers both (according the the stats shown), but does that mean that the market is balanced/correct?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:31 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Looking at rental options, seems more rentals are available now due to new developments?
Interesting blog, but I find some stats always confusing when it comes to RE market. For example, it looks like there is a decline in seller and buyers both (according the the stats shown), but does that mean that the market is balanced/correct?
When prices are climbing, sellers hold off selling, in hope of still higher prices, constraining supply; when prices are falling, buyers hold off buying, in hope of still lower prices, constraining demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area