Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 PM

656 posts, read 819,947 times

Advertisements

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...s-for-drivers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:32 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,793,379 times
It's TRUE!!!!!!!

For people that already live here and love our home, it gives us no joy seeing more people pour in. Send that link everywhere.

There are other choices besides Washington and especially the Seattle metro.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

8,198 posts, read 8,392,429 times
Get a smaller place, live closer to work. Adjust your expectations, declutter, purge things you don't need and minimize. People in Europe, SFO, NYC, many cities in the world get by with less square footage. I'm not saying this is ideal but it sure beats waiting in traffic.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,213,416 times
I still think a the majority of the problem driving in WA is due to the native drivers inability to operate a vehicle like people do everywhere else, not sure why they’re so awful at it but it’s certainly a factor

Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,942,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
I still think a the majority of the problem driving in WA is due to the native drivers inability to operate a vehicle like people do everywhere else, not sure why they’re so awful at it but it’s certainly a factor

Does "native" mean the folks that were born and continue to live here or American Indians, or something else?

Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Does "native" mean the folks that were born and continue to live here or American Indians, or something else?
Natives=born and raised, nothing to do with race

Old 01-23-2019, 08:22 PM

8,198 posts, read 8,392,429 times
Quote:
Natives=born and raised, nothing to do with race
So, I've been here 29 years, longer than some of my 26 year old Seattle born clients have been alive. What does that make me? Semi street-cred. ?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 PM

905 posts, read 1,110,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Get a smaller place, live closer to work. Adjust your expectations, declutter, purge things you don't need and minimize. People in Europe, SFO, NYC, many cities in the world get by with less square footage. I'm not saying this is ideal but it sure beats waiting in traffic.
There's always the sweet spot too (A bit more space than being in the heart of it all, but still closer in, rather than a lot of space further out) - in either case, you're gonna pay a premium to live here in any way that mitigates our traffic woes.

I'll certainly agree with that last sentence. Every time I think of moving to Tacoma, I always have to remind myself of that!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,992,435 times
Quote:
Well, you may be on to something here. Any city that is isolated from other major areas tend to create a driving culture one upon themselves. That said, the mix of native Seattle drivers (those born here), and newcomers can create tension. I think this is most of the issue.

However, the problem really has to do with the lack of road infrastructure for the increasing population. Seattle has made it clear that they don't want to build new roads, so you get what you get. I have seen this driving community evolve over the decades from somewhat sedate to rather aggressive, but that is to be expected in any growing area. You mix the old style with the newcomers and the result is not pretty.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
So, I've been here 29 years, longer than some of my 26 year old Seattle born clients have been alive. What does that make me? Semi street-cred. ?
Well I’ve seen you post about the driving frustrations here as well, so while you most certainly are now a seattlite, you still call it like it is and definitely seem to share the frustration with some of the oddities on the road here, so you’re a-ok in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area